Chapala.com Webboard

Where to check out of country?

bdlngton

I'm a residente permanente flying to Spain via Mexico City.  Do I get passport stamped and turn in INM form at the Guadalajara airport or do I do that at the Mexico City airport when connecting to my flight to Madrid there?  If the latter, where is the INM office in that airport?

Mexico City airport.  Note, I tried to do it at GDL since it was familiar to me but the INM agent looked at my ticket and said I had to do it at MEX.

It's been awhile since I flew internationally out of MEX, but as I recall the INM desk was well marked and well staffed.  There are also information desks throughout MEX and they are helpful and bilingual. 

Enjoy Espana!  

Yes, I just went through there, and there were several desks, well-staffed, out in the open, and they knew exactly what they were doing, and were courteous and helpful. The Guad airport is like a stealth operation: will they be there? Will they not? How long will the lineup get while the agent takes (yet another) break? Will he sign it properly? It's pretty bumbling, although I have never had a problem in the end.

Another question, related, but a little off topic:

i am flying Interjet GDL-MEX then connecting to Iberia.  Interjet and Iberia are in the same alliance.  In fact my reservation shows the GDL- MEX leg as on Iberia operated by Interjet.  I'm wondering if Interjet will be able to give me my boarding passes all the way or will I have to check in with Iberia in MEX.. Also will Interjet check my bag all the way or will I have to reclaim it in MEX and take it to Iberia counter to recheck it on to Spain?  Has anybody had experience in this area, especially with an Interjet-Iberia connection?  I'm a little concerned about doing all of this in the 1 hr 40 minutes I have to make the connection along with going through security again if necessary.  I've only flown through MEX once in recent years coming into the country from the US on Volaris.  That time I had to clear my bags through aduanas and then find the Volaris counter in the terminal to recheck them on to GDL.  I return by the same route from Spain so wonder about going through MEX when leaving and when returning, though I have a much longer layover on return.

Usually carriers in the same alliance work well together.  I have used American and Iberia to Spain, but not via Mexico.  It worked out fine.  

It's a good sign that your reservation shows the GDL-MEX leg as a codeshare with both airlines.  When you get to GDL ask the Interjet personnel to give you boarding passes and luggage checks through your final destination.  I am guessing they will.  

I once had an issue  because of the number of hours involved between the first flight and the final flight (we went from Tampa to Miami to Madrid to Seville); they couldn't give us boarding passes for the MAD to Seville leg because it was over 10 hours after our check-in in Tampa.  Your itinerary won't have that issue.  Buena suerte!

Archived