Chapala.com Webboard

Need car mechanic vocab

bdlngton

You can ask Roberto at Hernandez Tire - next to Tony's.  He specializes in tire, suspension and alignment and speaks perfect English.....   or "Google translate" - tie rods = tirantes.

16 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Just curious as to the correct term not where to take my car.  To me tirante is a strap, like on my bra or dress, but I suppose a tie rod serves a similar purpose.  

Barra de acoplamiento

I like to reference autozone Mexico website. The pictures and  part numbers are the same as the us version and it's set up exactly the same. It's a fun way of learning nouns. Great way to figure prices too. If I can't remember the word I just write it down and say it when I get to the mechanic and double check his price while I'm at it. My mechanic likes to bunch prices and labor together. Managing a mechanic is difficult in any language. I have an excellent mechanic but needs some improvement in the billing department. I'm not sure if I'm winning or losing in the price game. One day he gives me the price. The next he forgets what he quoted. As long as we both have food in our table I'm fine. If he quotes too low and I see him sweating bullets I'll give him a tip. 

Archived