Chapala.com Webboard

SEA SALT SHAKER

gringal

This could be a truly silly question that everybody else knows the answer to but:  I like to use sea salt and have it in a small covered container next to the stove.  Doing the "pinch" method isn't the most convenient or effective way to distribute it on fried eggs, so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a salt shaker with holes that will work for it. 

I don''t know where to get a shaker for your sea salt.  If you don't mind them ground up, you can put the salt crystals in a pepper mill

I highly recommend Soriana for self-contained throw-away grinders for sea salt.  They are Master Chef Mexico brand.  You can shake without grinding and the crystals still come out.  My new favorite at the side of the stove is Master Chef Mexico's Sea Salt & Black Peppercorns combined in one grinder.  I'm getting lazy in my old age :rolleyes:

I had not been to Soriana since 2012 and was pleased that their spice section has some up-market brands and selections.

Salerito Pegaso   Sal de Mar

Throw away small shaker. Yes, it's probably an expensive way to buy sea salt (10P) but it lasts several months and here at the beach any larger quantity would be rock hard. Sold just about everywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did know about the throwaway containers but am verrrry thrifty and would rather go the route of refillable permanent one, but  I'll face it and go for the temp kind until some creative local ceramist makes what I'm looking for.  One can hope.;)

25 minutes ago, gringal said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did know about the throwaway containers but am verrrry thrifty and would rather go the route of refillable permanent one, but  I'll face it and go for the temp kind until some creative local ceramist makes what I'm looking for.  One can hope.;)

I know what you mean. Being right on the beach I have considered evaporating my own but  haven't gotten around to it yet. :lol:

True, 100% natural sea salt will never be dry. The magnesium chloride absorbs moisture from the air. The crystals are small, but because of the wetness, it is usually dispensed as a "pinch". It is the magnesium that our bodies need. Something like 66% of people are deficient in magnesium.

The best salt for eggs is Himalayan pink salt, or called black salt in India. It actually has an eggy sort of smell, and many vegans use it to prepare egg free dishes. This is just the first article I ran across , but it supposedly has a wide variety of benefits as well.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/02/01/this-is-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-eat-pink-himalayan-salt/

I remember seeing a ceramic shaker with what seemed like too big a holes for salt at the fancy Mexican ceramic store in Chapala on Madero south of the Plaza. It has been a few years but worth checking.

Many years ago I bought a salt grinder at an upscale kitchenware store in Guad. It rusted. So I went back to using the Soriana salt grinder which works great.

Pretty much all the larger stores around here have salt grinders pre-loaded, at different prices. As for Himalayan or "pink" salt, I did the research: Absolutely no proven differences or benefits over any regular salt. It is pretty, though.

I only buy sea salt. Trying to keep my blood pressure down I don't use that much. So I don't remember where I purchased my sea salt shakers filled with sea salt, but I'm guessing it was Superlake.

Oh and I love the Sea Salt Potato Chips sold at Costco, oh and Superlake purchases them from Costco and resells them here lakeside

Just read a new health study that said a low sodium diet is worse than a high sodium diet as far as heart attacks are concerned. Middle diddle seems to be the best. Sounds much like global warming and much else; take your pick of "experts". Australia no longer "adjusting" temp records and temps are dropping, go figure, who knows?

Archived