Chapala.com Webboard

Public Parking Lots in Guadalajara Centro?

Cincy

There are many public parking lots, *Estacionamento*.  Just look for the signs with a big E.  Just pull in and get a ticket.  Remember to note the address/location, so you can find it walking back.  Most of the main approaches to the Catedral/Plaza de Armas/Centro area will have several options, both above and below ground.

I was there yesterday. Parking is always a problem in downtown GDL. The lots fill up and many close by early afternoon and with the construction of the third arm of the subway taking place underneath the Cathedral and other places in that area, there are constant and changing detours to get anyplace in el centro. I bought tickets for a performance at Teatro Degollado for next month, but after checking out the parking situation, I will probably hire a driver rather than drive myself and run the risk of not finding parking that is walkable to the theater.

Search Google using:           Estacionamiento Guadalajara Centro

The first result will be a map. Click on the map, and it will show you an expanded map, with every public

parking garage. Down the left hand side of the page will be a list of each one, with name and driving

directions to find it.

GuadalajaraParking.jpg

To get to the historic district drive in pass the airport and just keep going. Just after you cross C Lazro Cardenas the street becomes C Gonzolas Gallo.  Get in the right pair of lanes. Keep going straight. You will go through the parque Azule then come to C Independencia. There you turn right on Independencia. Go about 3 Kilometers and as you C Obergon be in the right lane. As you go under the big overpass at Mercado Liberatad on the right there is parking entrance under the middle of the overpass. Park in the underground and take a ticket (near the stairs). This is your ticket for payment when you return. You can go up stairs to the huge Mercado Liberatad or to the plaza or Opera House or just walk for a little. The overpass is a pedesterian walk mall and on one end goes to the Cabanas de Cultura and the beautiful murals. When you return to garage put your ticket into the machine and pay the amount it shows. 

The way I learned Guadalajara and how to drive there 20 years ago was to drive into the city on Sunday morning when there is no traffic. No one is laying on the horn as you slow to read the street signs. Good Lick, don't be shy about trying. PS lonche of pork lomo in the ground floor of the mercado Libertad is a standard. You will see the sandwiches on the hot grill on the side of the building that sells meat. The other area to explore is the Chapalita area at the end of Avenue Mexico. There is an "antique" market in the center "neutral ground" of Av Mexico on Sunday morning 10:30 -13:00 with great walking and people watching.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  After a year of driving to and from Tonala, Tlaquepaque, Costco, Home Depot and a few other places around Mexico I think I now have enough confidence and Mexican driving experience to tackle Guadalajara - with my wife spotting!

22 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  After a year of driving to and from Tonala, Tlaquepaque, Costco, Home Depot and a few other places around Mexico I think I now have enough confidence and Mexican driving experience to tackle Guadalajara - with my wife spotting!

When we go into a large city on a trip I stop when first entering the place and let my wife drive the whole time there. This way I don´t have to listen to or follow her directions which I usually don´t agree with. Works every time and I don´t annoy her at all and get to people watch and see the place. ;):D

Archived