Chapala.com Webboard

Panaderia Scandanavia

Bisbee Gal

Stopped in yesterday for the first time...won't be our last.  Wonderful black olive and thyme bread (Halland)....huge loaf at fair price.  Here is link to their breads and prices.  They also serve sandwiches, pate' and paninis which we will try on on our next visit.

Note: their website location map shows them in Ajijic at their former location; they are currently located in Laguna Mall.  

http://www.peterpanaderia.com/bread/

Their baguette isn't sourdough. The French pastry place in West Ajijic has decent (non-sour) breads and of course the Siete Semillas and Costco multigrain sold at Super Lake are other good options. Interesting that you have a problem digesting sourdough though, as the live yeast culture makes it much more digestible for most folks. 

6 hours ago, Don Cuevas said:

I doubt that a live yeast culture would survive the heat of the baking process.

(I'm a retired baker.)

The health benefits of sourdough are complex and come from what the live culture does to the dough before baking. Here's a link to one good article:

http://www.sourdough.co.uk/why-is-it-that-i-can-digest-sourdough-bread-and-not-commercial-bread/

To gringohombre's question, I believe that Panaderia Scandinavia's breads are mostly whole grain with some white flour in most cases, but there's at least one loaf that's 100% whole grain (and very dense). Without a doubt the best, "slowest-burning" breads in our area and we are so lucky to have them here!

The health benefits of sourdough are complex and come from what the live culture does to the dough before baking. Here's a link to one good article: 

14 hours ago, Don Cuevas said:

I doubt that a live yeast culture would survive the heat of the baking process.

(I'm a retired baker.)

http://www.sourdough.co.uk/why-is-it-that-i-can-digest-sourdough-bread-and-not-commercial-bread/

I can agree with that premise.

Yes, you are lucky to have Panadería Scandinavia in your region. Morelia has the Panadería Origo, a newer development, but most of our bread is made here, at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I went there everything was covered in flies with no effort from the staff to protect the bread in the shelves or the sandwiches I ordered. 

Too bad because they were good in December when the flies were not a problem. 

A lot of food places around here  need to invest in one of these (but I doubt many owners even care)  

IMG_8777.JPG

Crazydog, while Mexico has adopted HACCP programs in manufacturing and wholesale operations, I doubt you or I will be around to see food safety handling policies that you may have been used to in your previous country of residence. As a career food and beverage exec in the US in major resort destinations and having a few squiggles of alphabet after my old title, I can tell you it will be decades, if ever, that other countries will require and enforce the levels of sanitation required NOB. You'll probably be suitably appalled at what you will see here. But despite all the systems in place elsewhere, all it takes in one break in the chain for improper food handling. Consider dining here to be a perpetual backyard BBQ and a picnic and it won't be as disturbing / annoying. That said, pass the sourdough.

18 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

I was there this morning to buy bread and enjoy one of their great cinnamon rolls and coffee. I saw the flies and killed BOTH of them for you. It is now safe for your return. You're welcome.

Al Berca, in Guanajuato City, I have to fight the bees to get one of my favorite outdoor vendors cinnamon rolls. Yeah, the woman who sells them does her best to shoo them off, but eventually her arms give out. I also get a kick out watching the kids at the ice cream stand squeal as the bees swarm them for a shot at their limon ice.

7 hours ago, zerbit said:

Al Berca, in Guanajuato City, I have to fight the bees to get one of my favorite outdoor vendors cinnamon rolls. Yeah, the woman who sells them does her best to shoo them off, but eventually her arms give out. I also get a kick out watching the kids at the ice cream stand squeal as the bees swarm them for a shot at their limon ice.

You cannot compare bees to flies. Do a simple google search why flies are so bad when they contaminate food. 

I also agree with you regarding implementation of any food safety (this is the government's job and we know how great they are here) but it doesn't stop me from thinking that the owner of the establishment shouldn't take some pride in their business and invest in a fly zapper or two, or maybe have some fans as well. 

Go to 5 star resorts in riviera maya and you will not see a single fly. Why because the owners want their customers to return and spend more money. They are not doing it because they are following some government food and safety regulation.  

16 hours ago, Crazydog said:

Last time I went there everything was covered in flies with no effort from the staff to protect the bread in the shelves or the sandwiches I ordered. 

I go there at least once a week and have since they moved from their previous location and have never seen a problem with flies. In fact I'm hard pressed to remember seeing even one.

15 hours ago, Crazydog said:

You cannot compare bees to flies. Do a simple google search why flies are so bad when they contaminate food. 

I also agree with you regarding implementation of any food safety (this is the government's job and we know how great they are here) but it doesn't stop me from thinking that the owner of the establishment shouldn't take some pride in their business and invest in a fly zapper or two, or maybe have some fans as well. 

Go to 5 star resorts in riviera maya and you will not see a single fly. Why because the owners want their customers to return and spend more money. They are not doing it because they are following some government food and safety regulation.  

Okay. Flies lite on poop sometimes. Bees lite on raw chicken, fish, beef, pork and lamb sometimes. Often held at questionable temps and the surfaces are quite prone to bacteria. Pick your pathogen. If the sanitation at the bakery had you concerned, you are in for a rude awakening elsewhere. And yes, I've stayed at "5 star" resorts on both coasts of Mexico over the last 20 years. And to compare a small bakery to one of them is pushing it at best. Food safety is way behind the curve here. I doubt a fraction of stores and restaurants have even heard the term HACCP. Search this site on how refrigeration goes out in stores and questionable perishables are sold later. Toto, I don't think we are in Cancun anymore....

Archived