Chapala.com Webboard

Replacing cards in stolen wallet

Joco Gal

Wallet stolen in Walmart today, Wed. Aug.2nd. Several hundred dollars charged to Visa and Amex. Bank cards all reported and frozen. Does anyone know what info one has to supply to Immigration to replace my Residente Permanente card? Hopefully it is not as onerous as the initial application!

2 hours ago, Joco Gal said:

Wallet stolen in Walmart today, Wed. Aug.2nd. Several hundred dollars charged to Visa and Amex. Bank cards all reported and frozen. Does anyone know what info one has to supply to Immigration to replace my Residente Permanente card? Hopefully it is not as onerous as the initial application!

Did you make a copy of the IMN card? I was told that you almost have to start all over again. Everything you did originally but I think the fee is a little less but not much. It's a real pain.

Process is basically same as a renewal but less expensive. Some places require a police report. In San Miguel they do not but there I believe you do if reported stolen as noted. Typically also an interview. INM fee is 1144 p. I advise people to never carry visa locally if at all possible.

Thanks everyone. Started to make current copies of proof of residence-printer out of ink! I do have copies of all my cards but for some reason I only have the face of the RP card. It was well planned in Walmart. Older scruffy guy backed hard into me, I was startled, he acted mentally challenged, big kerfluffle and in all the confusion, he had my wallet. Took 25 minutes to get help from employees and then only because a very kind Mexican woman intervened and made security listen. Nobody looked at cameras, although the comment was made "if they are working" "or turned on". I insisted that the police come. They seemed very disinterested, wouldn't get out their truck. But I did meet two W. employees who spoke English and spoke in detail to the police. Filled out a form, did not give me a copy or police report number. They would :keep an eye out" for anyone acting suspicious! By the time I got home $300.CDN had been charged to my Visa card at Oxxo and they tried but were denied a $10,700. peso charge by Amex at Soriana. Cancelled my bank cards.

Still not sure to to say lost or stolen but the less hassle the better.

The metro police do not take reports. You have to go to the ministero to fill out the paperwork and take someone with you who speaks Spanish. Then after spending a few hours reporting the crime, forget about because you will never hear from them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived