Chapala.com Webboard

A Plug for Lake Taco

pappysmarket

Doesn't that seem expensive for a couple of Taco and a drink??? or I am out of touch with reality this days??? lucky  for the Pesos the USD has lost 20% of its value the past 6 months

we can each enjoy a couple of freshly made tacos (and we mean fresh, with homemade hand-pressed tortillas), along with a beer and an agua fresca (fresh fruit drink), and our bill is typically about $8.

Average price locally at taco stand: $15 for meat/sausage. $10 to 12 for agua fresca. Total for four tacos and two drinks: $80-85, certainly under 5 bucks U.S. Tortillas usually made on the spot. AND some of the best damn food in the world, IMHO.

Lake Taco is great and I'm glad to see them getting promoted, but as ComputerGuy points out their tacos are far more expensive than the average - though understandably so given that they're fish tacos, which always cost much more, served in a much nicer atmosphere than a typical local taco stand or taqueria. 

Superb tacos de barbacoa (or chorizo con papas, bistek, etc) at Los Portales here in Chapala are 9 pesos each and an agua fresca is 12. Don Vic in Ajijic, which offers the best barbacoa tacos I have ever had anywhere, charges 10 pesos and loads them up with veggies; I find two to be plenty for a meal. My wife and I eat at Los Portales a couple of times a week and spend less than 90 pesos ($5 and change) including tip. It'd be easy to spend  that much on one hardshell Tex Mex taco and a soda N.O.B. 

18 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Doesn't that seem expensive for a couple of Taco and a drink??? or I am out of touch with reality this days??? lucky  for the Pesos the USD has lost 20% of its value the past 6 months

we can each enjoy a couple of freshly made tacos (and we mean fresh, with homemade hand-pressed tortillas), along with a beer and an agua fresca (fresh fruit drink), and our bill is typically about $8.

It's not a bargain.  Of course, if you are comparing that to the cost of the same in NOB, then it's good, but that is not a fair comparison.  This is how the prices go up here, expats think these costs are low, frequent those places, then the prices become what is the norm.

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

It's not a bargain.  Of course, if you are comparing that to the cost of the same in NOB, then it's good, but that is not a fair comparison.  This is how the prices go up here, expats think these costs are low, frequent those places, then the prices become what is the norm.

I guess when writing for a "International" travel magazine you can fairly claim that food/meals etc in MX is "cheaper,  

The vacillating exchange rate makes it go from inexpensive to cheap cheap.

But on a local basis and "we"  locals can and do compare local establishments for  price comparisons.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Exchange rate would be important, I imagine, for a foreign writer. Here, to me, it means nothing.

Interesting. For me with the USD value  dropping 20% these past six months, this change has impacted how and when I eat out, Also  the restaurant prices have increased significantly in the same period.

The only impact to those who earn pesos is what happens to the price of imported goods and feed and the like. A 10 peso taco is still a 10 peso taco, no matter what the American dollar is doing.

Perhaps more telling, the unparalleled rise of the U.S. dollar over the last year and a half has left many American on pensions with perhaps an inflated sense of the "value" of their bank accounts. This "drop" is on paper only for the most part, and to me is no different than the guy who made a million one day on the stock market and lost it the next: boy, was he screwed!

You can imagine our joy as Canadians during the very short time the Cdn and US dollars were on par, and then when the Cdn dollar was worth even more than its American counterpart. Now it hovers around 75%. And Canadians living in Canada don't bemoan anything other than the price of imports...

On 8/2/2017 at 10:03 PM, lakeside7 said:

Interesting. For me with the USD value  dropping 20% these past six months, this change has impacted how and when I eat out, Also  the restaurant prices have increased significantly in the same period.

The peso has only gone back to about where it was before the Trump win 6 months ago sent all the Chicken Littles into "the sky is falling" mode with all the "fake news" about how he was anti-Mexican and was out to destroy this country. 

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

The peso has only gone back to about where it was before the Trump win 6 months ago sent all the Chicken Littles into "the sky is falling" mode with all the "fake news" about how he was anti-Mexican and was out to destroy this country. 

Wow! With such insight, you could make a killing in finance.

Archived