Chapala.com Webboard

Golf Cart Warning

Niki

It is illegal to drive a golf cart on any streets without it being registered and plated. If you are caught by the police they can have it towed and impounded. You must al;so have your valid drivers license with you. 

There used to be a thriving business renting golf carts in Ajijic for visitors who wanted to get around the village. Another business venture that has come and gone, I think. I do see one occasionally bouncing around now. Personally, I consider them unsafe. I do understand the need to get around in one's old age--I am no spring chicken-- but it gives me the heebie-jeebies to be behind a golf cart as it bounces along among the cobblestones and craters. I tell myself to concentrate and look out for falling bodies. SO FAR, SO GOOD--I haven't hit any flying bodies yet;) I do not see golf carts on the carretera, for perhaps obvious reasons, altho once in a while one makes it as far as SuperLake. I hate to be on the carretera myself-- my poor little Honda FIT (one step up from a golf cart) trembles every time someone passes and we have to brake while they pull back into their lane. Be tolerant, folks, and avoid running over people, dogs, cats, golf carts and Honda FITs. You may be 102 some day and have to give up the Jaguar or Mercedes.

55 minutes ago, JayBearII said:

There used to be a thriving business renting golf carts in Ajijic for visitors who wanted to get around the village. Another business venture that has come and gone, I think. I do see one occasionally bouncing around now. Personally, I consider them unsafe. I do understand the need to get around in one's old age--I am no spring chicken-- but it gives me the heebie-jeebies to be behind a golf cart as it bounces along among the cobblestones and craters. I tell myself to concentrate and look out for falling bodies. SO FAR, SO GOOD--I haven't hit any flying bodies yet;) I do not see golf carts on the carretera, for perhaps obvious reasons, altho once in a while one makes it as far as SuperLake. I hate to be on the carretera myself-- my poor little Honda FIT (one step up from a golf cart) trembles every time someone passes and we have to brake while they pull back into their lane. Be tolerant, folks, and avoid running over people, dogs, cats, golf carts and Honda FITs. You may be 102 some day and have to give up the Jaguar or Mercedes.

Well said.

5 hours ago, JayBearII said:

There used to be a thriving business renting golf carts in Ajijic for visitors who wanted to get around the village. 

There still is.

http://www.lakechapalagolfcarts.com

(I'm the owner of Lake Chapala Golf Carts ... thanks for announcing its early demise?)

In order to be "street legal", a golf cart needs a license plate, AND insurance, which you need a license plate to get. In order to get a license plate for YOUR golf cart, you must have a FACTURA from the purchase. Very, VERY few local golf cart owners have a Factura since most are bought via private sales, and NOT from a company that can issue a Factura. (A Factura is just like the one in your car if you bought it in Mexico - the original receipt from dealer - the "title", effectively.) A "bill of sale" or "receipt for purchase" is worthless.

Just to be clear and to eliminate JayBearll's unfortunate announcement, I am the owner of Lake Chapala Golf Carts, and all of my carts have license plates and insurance. They are legal in town. (They are NOT legal to be driven on the carretera, but it's legal to cross...best/safest at a light!). 

Lastly, I'm not currently renting golf carts because I have too much personal business that requires my attention. Perhaps that is why JayBearII is confused. I get inquiries daily, thanks for your patience. Will be back open Sept./Oct. Thanks!

Archived