Chapala.com Webboard

Moving to a different house

tomgates

Yes, it is a requirement but if you go to the INM office in Chapala they will give you a form. There is a fee but it's been a while since I changed houses so I would suggest you ask and not be surprised at how little, or shocked at how much! Unfortunately I used a lawyer agent so it cost much more than it should have...

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/notificacion-de-cambios-al-inm-por-parte-de-extranjeros-residentes/INM829

https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/estancia.html

Select in the first drop down box: Notifcar cambios [residentes temporales and permanentes]

Select in the second drop down box: Notificacion de cambio de domicilo

Fill out the data below on this webpage and print it out and take it to your local INM office. Take your papers with you. There is no charge.

29 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Alan,

What papers? Thanks.

From the top website:

Google Translation:

"Required documents

Letter signed by the foreign person, in which, under protest of truth, manifest, change of marital status, name, nationality, new address or place of work, expressly indicating the previous and the new state or corresponding data. In case of dual citizenship, you must indicate it and the one that must be considered for registration and stay in national territory.      Original

Tarjeta de resident  Original y copia

Form for requesting a migratory change procedure, filled out electronically through the website, with an autograph signature of the applicant. Original "

I might also take a lease or a CFE bill or a Telmex bill and a copy. Also maybe your passport. 

So, they are going to make you pay to comply with their ridiculous regulations.  People are so compliant......this is how governments gets away with this nonsense. I don't see how it is a benefit to let them know where you live.   No one seems to think privacy is a right anymore.

6 hours ago, Zeb said:

So, they are going to make you pay to comply with their ridiculous regulations.  People are so compliant......this is how governments gets away with this nonsense. I don't see how it is a benefit to let them know where you live.   No one seems to think privacy is a right anymore.

Of course you do not pay. But one needs to report change of address; change in marital status (divorce or marriage); change in Mexican income source; change when one stops earning income who has reported "working". And you have 90 days to do so.

This is a far easier country to visit and also live in legally, with fewer requirements and not even a medical or background check vs almost any other country in the world. 

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

Expats have to report a change in income source?  Marital status?  Why is that?

Haha, because it's Mexico?  Quien sabe.

Sonia, this is a lot of stuff that I do not know, despite 12 years here. If I got married here at the courthouse in Chapala, as I did last year, would they not record this without my help? I thought this was part of what we were paying the big $$ for.

What "change in income source" is required disclosure--i.e., what income sources are we talking about? How would I report that my spouse is now going to get a Social Security benefit because I am a US citizen who has benefits? We are both permanente. I did not think we needed to report US income to authorities here. We file returns in the US (me) and Canada (him) but we have no income sourced in Mexico.

Sorry you marriage was so expensive Jay. I hope your spouse was worth it. Then again property taxes are a fraction of what they would be in the US or Canada. Oh and that socialized medicine which many dislike sure take to Seguro Popular which costs nothing or close to it. 

The longer you take to report your marriage the greater the fine. :-)

If you get married in the US or Canada would all various government departments know? If you got divorced in either country would all government departments know? 

Change in Mexican income source including no longer earning income.. 

This reporting is covered here where you may read the information along with the 20,000 plus viewers this month. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

Getting married in Mexico you get married at the local civil registry.  Immigration is a federal government agency where you need to notify them as the municipal civil registry does not send notifications to the federal immigration office, you have 90 days to notify from date of marriage. 

For change notifications they want online form, and a few other forms.  Not rocket science but if not done right can mean a few trips there and waiting, some dont mind others have better things to do than deal with bureaucracy.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. A green card holder in the USA is also supposed to report any change in status and address (maybe not income). And SS and Medicare also want change in status I'm pretty sure. I know in Switzerland you are supposed to report all of that to the AHV (equivalent of SS). We get the privileges, they want the info.

I have been quite impressed with the ease of getting residency here. Follow the rules and it goes smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 8:28 PM, Sonia said:

If you get married in the US or Canada would all various government departments know? If you got divorced in either country would all government departments

Yes Sonia, when one gets married or divorced in the US it is legally recored by the person performing the marriage or divorced.  This happens one time, in one place and is sufficient.  And, it's automatic as it's the responsibility of the person, judge, priest, whoever, performing the procedure.

Archived