Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Jim Bowie

Mexico experiences deadliest month in decades

Recommended Posts

And this report shows stats about an administration that has made it a "priority" to silence all media about reporting such stats. Wow ! Can you imagine what the real numbers must be?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to make a point here, because I do not know. How do these rate compare with other countries? I guess I will have to ask Mr. Google. I also wonder how Chicago compares with cities in Mexico.

I presume that the percentages are much lower in the US and even lower in much if not most of Canada.

Well I went and discovered that one site considered Mexico to be part of Central America. They didn't know that we are in North America, here in Mexico.

And my assumptions were correct about the death rates decreasing as one goes north.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More not so good news:

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/vehicle-thefts-on-rise-up-28-in-12-months

Quote

Homicide numbers are shaping up to make 2017 the most violent year in the recent history of Mexico, but auto theft is another crime that is also on the rise.

 

During September there were 5,688 car thefts accompanied by violence, up 36% over September 2016, according to the National Public Security System (SNSP).

The July-September period saw the largest number of reports since President Enrique Peña Nieto’s six-year term began in December 2012, a total of 16,956, up 63% over the same quarter of 2016.

 

The states of Jalisco, México, Puebla and Tamaulipas have seen the biggest increases.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johanson said:

Not trying to make a point here, because I do not know. How do these rate compare with other countries? I guess I will have to ask Mr. Google. I also wonder how Chicago compares with cities in Mexico.

I presume that the percentages are much lower in the US and even lower in much if not most of Canada.

Well I went and discovered that one site considered Mexico to be part of Central America. They didn't know that we are in North America, here in Mexico.

And my assumptions were correct about the death rates decreasing as one goes north.

Be sure that when you do that comparison thingy about Chicago, compare them based on population and the types of ethnicity  they have to cities in Mexico. Failure to do those two things just gives apples to oranges and does not create valid comparison.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Be sure that when you do that comparison thingy about Chicago, compare them based on population and the types of ethnicity  they have to cities in Mexico. Failure to do those two things just gives apples to oranges and does not create valid comparison.

Please explain how a populations ethnicity works into this?  False flag?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, El Menudo said:

Please explain how a populations ethnicity works into this?  False flag?

Oh, I think Hook 'm Horns' implication was very clear.  Can we relate the level of poverty and the ethnicity of the South American countries whose populations are fleeing North, to Chicago in some way? I suspect someone with expertise in statistics could come up with some interesting answers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget that the majority of these killings are turf wars between cartels and other gangs. So apart from being in wrong place/wrong time, if you use your smarts and avoid places you should not be, you'll be fine.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Natasha said:

Let's not forget that the majority of these killings are turf wars between cartels and other gangs. So apart from being in wrong place/wrong time, if you use your smarts and avoid places you should not be, you'll be fine.

Is that a "guarantee" ? Or just a "guess"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's common sense, and has been for some years now. Otherwise you'd be a goner already. Trying to turn Natasha's statement into something else is... unfortunate. And ignoratio ilenchi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Natasha said:

Let's not forget that the majority of these killings are turf wars between cartels and other gangs. So apart from being in wrong place/wrong time, if you use your smarts and avoid places you should not be, you'll be fine.

True, one can improve their odds by being smart about things but here again the trend may not be our friend.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&ArticleId=384294

Quote

MEXICO CITY – The number of civilians killed in the conflict pitting Mexico’s powerful drug cartels against each other and the security forces soared by 172 percent in the last 12 months, capital daily Reforma said Monday, citing official figures.

“Collateral” deaths of civilians increased from 61 in 2009 to 166 last year, according to the report from the Attorney General’s Office.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Is that a "guarantee" ? Or just a "guess"? 

There are no guarantees in life, my friend.... but I DO watch Mexican news (from Guad and from Mexico City) every day, and read Informador on line each evening. Of course, there's always a degree of "fake news",  but look at Mexico News Daily (English) on line for more info if you don't read Spanish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, ComputerGuy said:

It's common sense, and has been for some years now. Otherwise you'd be a goner already. Trying to turn Natasha's statement into something else is... unfortunate. And ignoratio ilenchi.

Sadly, "common sense" is not a flower that grows in a lot of gardens by new expats here at Lakeside, nor those thinking of moving to Mexico because it is a "Paradise". They need/deserve a complete dose of honest reality. Actually, I find your  statement above to be ignoratio ilenchi. Just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think that the violence going up is fake news, you can read about it and hear about it but I also believe that a lot of the increase is cartel violence which is part of a world the foreigners do not brush with too much. So if you live in a village and mind your own business you are not affected much by it..

There is also a lot of family violence, vendettas about land etc but again most foreigners are not aware of it or affected by it so the statistics are probably correct and the people saying they feel safe in the Chapala area are probably correct too..for now ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×