Chapala.com Webboard

7 puppies abandoned on the sidewalk

Left in front of the door of an animal lover - who isn't even home right now.   We must have just missed seeing the perp - the dogs were beginning to tumble out of the box onto the road as we were walking by.  We got them into a crate that they cannot escape from and a friend will keep them in her patio overnight.  And she is giving them a flea bath.

What to do tomorrow?  These are not cute little in-demand pups.  They are ordinary black (mostly) and they will surely be almost impossible to adopt out.

I am emailing The Ranch and Lucky Dog.  We don't feel we can expect a vet to take them.  Frankly, much as we hate to think of it, euthanasia is on our minds.  And hopefully there is some vet who will do that for these cruelly abandoned pups.  If it comes to that.

If anyone out there has had success in a situation like this, please post.  

6 hours ago, Denise said:

What?????? Euthanasia?????? So killing the puppies is an  option for you? Message me and I will come get them. You are a horrible person to even think that, shame. 

Next time just offer to take the dogs without the personal attack.

7 hours ago, Denise said:

What?????? Euthanasia?????? So killing the puppies is an  option for you? Message me and I will come get them. You are a horrible person to even think that, shame. 

Denise - you may need to understand the quantity of puppies and kittens being thrown out in the area, or half starved where ever they are living.  There are times when euthanasia is a kind solution.  Please don't condemn until you are the person who has just discovered 7 abandoned puppies and is responsible enough to do something about them, rather than just walk on.

1 hour ago, bournemouth said:

Denise - you may need to understand the quantity of puppies and kittens being thrown out in the area, or half starved where ever they are living.  There are times when euthanasia is a kind solution.  Please don't condemn until you are the person who has just discovered 7 abandoned puppies and is responsible enough to do something about them, rather than just walk on.

Thank you, Voice of Reason.  At this point, any of the cats and dogs left after the final closure of Anita's Animals will be euthanized, according to one announcement.

10 hours ago, Denise said:

Denise, with all due respect, you have NO idea how many more puppies and kittens are born every day here than homes exist. And that's NOTHING compared to how it was 20 years ago before S/N really got into gear. If you are so outraged, after you pick up those pups, perhaps you'd like to drive out to Anita's and take on the 50-plus cats and kittens that will be put down because there are no homes for them either........ (and yes, we have 5 cats and 4 dogs, all rescues, and our inn is full)

Euthanasia is never a nice prospect, but it beats the alternatives in many cases.

I agree, euthanasia is a difficult, painful and oh, so hard decision to make, but unless one is personally willing to take on the job of raising and providing a good QUALITY of LIFE for all of these pups, it may just be the only viable solution.

To Denise: Are you willing and able to provide a home for them for the rest of their lives ? If so, more power to you. If you just are thinking that you can easily find homes for these " everyday, run of the mill, not wanted pups" then think again.

Torontonian is NOT a horrible person to consider it as an option.

I am sure those pups will be made clean, warmed, fed well and snuggled in tearful arms before going into a peaceful sleep.

No ending up on the side of the road, hit by a car that didn't even stop. No starving and being consumd alive by fleas and ticks and parasites.

No being kicked or burned by cigarettes by some perverse, pitiful excuse of a human, no "living" for years in a cramped metal cage with minimal human or canine companionship, all in the name of "letting them live."

I applaud Torontonian for the courage to face this difficult task. I know her heart is breaking.

I would just add an unfortunate fact of life. Torontonian recognized a truth that shelter workers are all too familiar with - the BBD (Big Black Dog) syndrome. BBD's are slower to get adopted than other colors. We at the Ranch have at least 5 really cute, really adorable, really affectionate black puppies. And we are SOOO hoping that they will get adopted while they are still little and cute.

So to those of you who are appalled at the idea of euthanasia, put on your big girl pants and come and live in the real world. Volunteer at shelters or breed rescue or spay/neuter clinics as I have for over 25 years and see harsh, cruel reality.

I notice that 'Denise' suddenly got very quiet.  I agree with everyone else.  There are so many kind people here who do as much as they possibly can for animals, but sometimes euthanasia is the only answer.  It's never an easy decision.  If Denise wants to step up and become the caregiver for all the unadoptables, more power to her.  But my guess is that she is one of these people that expect everyone else to do the dirty work, while she complains.

9 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

I would just add an unfortunate fact of life. Torontonian recognized a truth that shelter workers are all too familiar with - the BBD (Big Black Dog) syndrome. BBD's are slower to get adopted than other colors. We at the Ranch have at least 5 really cute, really adorable, really affectionate black puppies. And we are SOOO hoping that they will get adopted while they are still little and cute.

So to those of you who are appalled at the idea of euthanasia, put on your big girl pants and come and live in the real world. Volunteer at shelters or breed rescue or spay/neuter clinics as I have for over 25 years and see harsh, cruel reality.

EXACTLY in particular, the spay/neuter clinics are a real eye opener. We see it in our neighborhoods every day. As much as we all hate cruelty you can't save them all and if you think you can Denise then all the more power to you.
I applaud those caring souls who choose to rescue animals but for some it becomes an obsession/addiction.

Thank you to those who understood the situation we were in.  Both my friend and I have multiple animals and are volunteers with the spay and neuter groups.  She could not keep the pups more than a day because of out of town commitments and I was unable to do so either,  Then my computer gave up on me and I didn't see your response, Denise.  The dogs were taken to a very compassionate local vet who said that being the kind/colour they were that he saw no good news in their future.  We know what is going to happen to them.  None of us want that.  But Denise, I am sure that you will be out at Anita's tomorrow to pick up seven dogs there who are waiting for new homes.   Or maybe a couple of cats.

And once again, thanks for the support from the rest of you.

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Denise has not yet done anything but attack a realistic Good Samaritan. How many puppies will the two of you be adopting? 

Ohhhh darling, just got back from Dr.Memo with the dog my husband and I just rescued from deplorable conditions. Also, stopped on the way back to buy three more huge bags of dog and cat food to package up and keep in the car to feed the homeless pets. So hush all your mouths, I don't open my mouth unless I am doing whatever I can. Unlike some of you, who sit behind your computers waiting for a post to pounce on.

7 hours ago, Torontonian said:

Thank you to those who understood the situation we were in.  Both my friend and I have multiple animals and are volunteers with the spay and neuter groups.  She could not keep the pups more than a day because of out of town commitments and I was unable to do so either,  Then my computer gave up on me and I didn't see your response, Denise.  The dogs were taken to a very compassionate local vet who said that being the kind/colour they were that he saw no good news in their future.  We know what is going to happen to them.  None of us want that.  But Denise, I am sure that you will be out at Anita's tomorrow to pick up seven dogs there who are waiting for new homes.   Or maybe a couple of cats.

And once again, thanks for the support from the rest of you.

Again, shut your mouth. I do more than my part. I feed 12 children who otherwise would go hungry. I have rescued over thirty cats and dogs and placed them MYSELF in loving forever homes.

I refuse to volunteer with you people. I have never had the displeasure of meeting such bitter and vicious people in my life. I , truly, hope I do not age like you guys. I am 52yrs. old and yesterday I was only really afraid of rats but now I am afraid of turning into one of you guys.

I realize I will be banned from this site and that's fine. At the beginning of the month, we are relocating to Bahia de Banderas because this place sucks the soul of you. 

Archived