Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex scam is alive and well with phantom charges on bill

geeser

Just this morning received from Telmex an email notifying me that they had padded my bill with phantom charges.

We notify you hired Inbursa service                                                                                                                             Vidatel                                                                                                                               In your next receipts, Telmex charged $ 49.50 VAT included by insurance Vidatel concept in your line Telmex 3,767,662,xxx.                                                                                                                     Failure to recognize this operation please communicate to the customer service line of INBURSA:                      01800 4624 636                                                                                                                                                       For more information click here               

This email is a notification of receipt third party fees Telmex

infinitum.png telmex.png

Telmex has done this third party billing before.  I  called the number and said I would like to make changes on my phone service and was told I would hav eto come in and bring identification and an old bill. Then I got told the woman it was about the fraudulent charges on my bill billed through their IMBURSA for Vidatel insurance they asked me to hold and finally Ricardo (sounded like that old Ricardo that used to  be on the desk) came on the line.  He explained it was for the insurance I had added. I told him I wanted to come n and pick up the signed authorization for this addition since I had authorized no such thing. He expained that Karla had authorized the addition of insurance. I told him there was on Karla on my account. I asked him to remove the charges.

I asked Ricardo to pull the file and I would be by to pick up the signed authorization so I could get to the bottom of this scam. He explained that they had NO such authorization in their files. That they just trusted Karla over the phone. I reminded him that they require passport photo ID to change anything on my bill. I asked for the photo copy of Karla's passport so I could find her and put charges against her. He said they didn't have any ID on Karla. 

The next time you go in to check on your bill or service and they demand ID just tell them Karla sent you!

This is an old scam and was used in the USA years ago by utility companies doing "third party" billing. The charges are kept small enough that you don't catch them. The Utility companies got caught adding charges that over time amounted to hundreds of millions and had to refund it and cease and desist. Most states stopped all third party billing scams.

How can doing something that's legal be a scam...?.. It may not be ethical but it's not a scam... They don't need your authorization to add the charge to your bill. 

They did the same thing in the US and Canada years ago, it's wasn't until the Goverment banned the practice that it stopped

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

How can doing something that's legal be a scam...?.. It may not be ethical but it's not a scam... They don't need your authorization to add the charge to your bill. 

They did the same thing in the US and Canada years ago, it's wasn't until the Goverment banned the practice that it stopped

It's called negative option billing and large companies in Canada were doing it until, as TelsZ4 says, the government put an end to it 

The only unknown item I see on my latest bill is IEPS 3% for 10.62. Does anyone know what that is?

22 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Thanks. So IEPS is a supposedly a tax to combat obesity. On things like flavored drinks and high calories foods. You have to wonder how phones are involved.

10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

There are many, many, many scams that are perfectly legal.

I too received an email yesterday informing me of this additional charge of $49.50 for some unknown service I never signed up for.  I just called Telmex to cancel the "service" and was given another number (800-712-0900) to call and was assured it was cancelled (given a cancellation number) and that there would be no additional charge on my Telmex bill.

I've read about people who have paid these charges for years without knowing about them.  At least there was an email to give me a heads up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 4:24 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Thanks. So IEPS is a supposedly a tax to combat obesity. On things like flavored drinks and high calories foods. You have to wonder how phones are involved.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:21 AM, TelsZ4 said:

It is the same thing Walmart does, billing for items you did not buy. Last Tuesday it was red delicious @ 19.90 pesos billed  as galas 44.90. 

They explained it was just a mistake. I explained that if it were a mistake, half the time it would be in the customers favor and half the time it would benefit Walmart. I have never heard of it being in the customers favor at Walmart. This is a scam but it is not illegal in Mexico.

So can both the IEPS and Seguro be disputed? Someone said you had to pay the seguro first and then get a credit. That seems ridiculous.

I've been to the Telmex office so I can answer my question above. You have to pay the IEPS. Oscar at Telmex quickly deleted the Seguro from my bill. No need to pay it first and then get a credit.

I do not have TELMEX as there are "not enough lines to serve my neighborhood". There were supposed to be more come this January. And I was supposed to be on some fictitious mysterious list waiting for a line. So when I read this, I as so glad that I really don't have them in my life.

Archived