Chapala.com Webboard

Expat retirees enjoy a life reminiscent of an earlier time

pappysmarket

Here's an interesting article on why so many American and Canadian expats find retirement in foreign countries so attractive.

“Having the government less involved creates an entirely different dynamic than north of the border,” explains Dr. Santiago Hernandez, formerly from the Chicago area and now practicing in Ajijic, Mexico, on Lake Chapala. “If there’s a problem, most locals don’t expect the government to fix it, so they either live with it or fix it themselves. This creates more community cohesion and a feeling of involvement and belonging.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/expat-retirees-enjoy-a-life-reminiscent-of-an-earlier-time-2017-07-17

Well, at least SOME expats feel that way! Sorry bennie and others

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Here's an interesting article on why so many American and Canadian expats find retirement in foreign countries so attractive.

“Having the government less involved creates an entirely different dynamic than north of the border,” explains Dr. Santiago Hernandez, formerly from the Chicago area and now practicing in Ajijic, Mexico, on Lake Chapala. “If there’s a problem, most locals don’t expect the government to fix it, so they either live with it or fix it themselves. This creates more community cohesion and a feeling of involvement and belonging.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/expat-retirees-enjoy-a-life-reminiscent-of-an-earlier-time-2017-07-17

They have come to realize that if they want something fixed, they cannot depend on the foreign governments doing anything but pocketing the local tax money.If we could just install that "feeling" NOB, there would be a LOT Less people reaching out their hands with an open palm and taxes would go down.

9 minutes ago, betty7 said:

when did i say i have expectations from the govt? seriously? i also wont fix something myself. delete that thought. expats who come here to fix potholes are suckers. maybe the gove could take some of the evento permit bribe $, put it towards the streets. wont happen. 

bennie, is that you?

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I see.  Tell us, Pappys do you have this in your neighborhood?  Somehow I doubt it.  In fact, every time I've been to PV I've been impressed with how well kept up the place is.  Every time I've visited I've seen things like streets swept, trash picked up with modern equipment, benches being repaired and things being cleaned and painted on your Malecon.  You should be quite pleased I think to have a local government that seems to understand how important this is and at least doesn't skim to the point where you end up like us.

It sure is interesting that our members from PV, Tucson, San Cristobal, now Jocotepec, and Chapala where this isn't happening really seem to enjoy telling those of us who are living with this for months now that we are whiners, complainers and apparently now we should start our own trash pickup system.  We have been patching our own streets, maybe we now need to take over the water supply too?

Now if you actually read that article, they are not referring to things in Mexico being so primitive that this picture below is a common sight or that expats in Ajijic or anyplace else for that matter should expect things to go backwards to the point where this has become the norm.  I lived in that "simpler" time in the U.S. and that is when the governments up there provided the basic services very well and very cheaply, as frankly I have seen in most of the places in Mexico I've visited they are managing to do quite well.

The problem with government up there is not about services, it is about getting involved in a bunch of social engineering and being so indiscriminate with handouts that people don't bother to look for work. 

The article, if you bother to read it carefully, talks about helping out with kids and animals and strong families working together and respect for elders, that sort of thing.  All you out of towners may not be aware that this community has paid for most of its own plaza restoration, led the rest of the area in graffiti control led and funded strictly by volunteers, leads this entire area in spay and neuter and animal shelters, participated big time and continues to do so in efforts to help Tepehua (a formerly neglected part of Chapala), and provides the bulk of the volunteers and funding for many area homes for children.

Yes, I do expect the local government to provide the basic services they were doing quite competently and consistently until a couple of administrations ago.  No, I didn't expect things to go backwards to the point I'd see this here.  No, that is damn sure not what this article is talking bout.

And no, Pappys I really do not believe you are the least bit sorry.  I think you and several others here are rather enjoying this happening to us and unfortunately you haven't taken the time to reflect on what that says about all of you. 

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

14 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I see.  Tell us, Pappys do you have this in your neighborhood?  Somehow I doubt it.  In fact, every time I've been to PV I've been impressed with how well kept up the place is.  Every time I've visited I've seen things like streets swept, trash picked up with modern equipment, benches being repaired and things being cleaned and painted on your Malecon.  You should be quite pleased I think to have a local government that seems to understand how important this is and at least doesn't skim to the point where you end up like us.

It sure is interesting that our members from PV, Tucson, San Cristobal, now Jocotepec, and Chapala where this isn't happening really seem to enjoy telling those of us who are living with this for months now that we are whiners, complainers and apparently now we should start our own trash pickup system.  We have been patching our own streets, maybe we now need to take over the water supply to?

Now if you actually read that article, they are not referring to things in Mexico being so primitive that this picture below is a common sight or that expats in Ajijic or anyplace else for that matter should expect things to go backwards to the point where this has become the norm.  I lived in that "simpler" time in the U.S. and that is when the governments up there provided the basic services very well and very cheaply, as frankly I have seen in most of the places in Mexico I've visited they are managing to do quite well.

The problem with government up there is not about services, it is about getting involved in a bunch of social engineering and being so indiscriminate with handouts that people don't bother to look for work. 

The article, if you bother to read it carefully, talks about helping out with kids and animals and strong families working together and respect for elders, that sort of thing.  All you out of towners may not be aware that this community has paid for most of its own plaza restoration, led the rest of the area in graffiti control led and funded strictly by volunteers, leads this entire area in spay and neuter and animal shelters, participated big time and continues to do so in efforts to help Tepehua (a formerly neglected part of Chapala), and provides the bulk of the volunteers and funding for many area homes for children.

Yes, I do expect the local government to provide the basic services they were doing quite competently and consistently until a couple of administrations ago.  No, I didn't expect things to go backwards to the point I'd see this here.  No, that is damn sure not what this article is talking bout.

And no, Pappys I really do not believe you are the least bit sorry.  I think you and several others here are rather enjoying this happening to us and unfortunately you haven't taken the time to reflect on what that says about all of you.

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

Bravo

34 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

POLITICS! 

MC, I read the whole article. It doesn't quote me nor do I care about what you or others think about me. I was simply sharing an an article that I came across that suggests that there are other ways to skin the cat. Period. We very much enjoyed our 6 1/2 years in Ajijic. We learned very well what we needed to do to get what we wanted. As innkeepers we watched and learned how newcomers gained a foothold in the local community. Volunteering in a charity or removing graffiti was a great way to move up. No problem. Hire someone to take your trash and relax. Life is short.

We miss our friends in Chapala but don't miss the mosquitoes, bobos, long drive to Costco, traffic, noise and the lack of really good restaurants, Tango excluded. Yes it's warm right now but we use ceiling fans and have never needed A/C. Our yearly CFE bill is $25 US per month. You need to sincerely relax. Our life is mucho mejor a la playa. We never need to check the level of the ocean. We get trash collection 7 days a week but if we didn't we would pay to have it done. Do as you all wish but keep in mind that life is short.

Suerte.

9 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

MC, I read the whole article. It doesn't quote me nor do I care about what you or others think about me. I was simply sharing an an article that I came across that suggests that there are other ways to skin the cat. Period. We very much enjoyed our 6 1/2 years in Ajijic. We learned very well what we needed to do to get what we wanted. As innkeepers we watched and learned how newcomers gained a foothold in the local community. Volunteering in a charity or removing graffiti was a great way to move up. No problem. Hire someone to take your trash and relax. Life is short.

We miss our friends in Chapala but don't miss the mosquitoes, bobos, long drive to Costco, traffic, noise and the lack of really good restaurants, Tango excluded. Yes it's warm right now but we use ceiling fans and have never needed A/C. Our yearly CFE bill is $25 US per month. You need to sincerely relax. Our life is mucho mejor a la playa. We never need to check the level of the ocean. We get trash collection 7 days a week but if we didn't we would pay to have it done. Do as you all wish but keep in mind that life is short.

Suerte.

I notice you didn't answer the question of whether you ever had to cope with this either here or there.  Easy guess on that one.

Could you explain to us how I get the entire neighborhood to get their trash picked up individually?  Or should I hire someone to pick up all the trash in the neighborhood?  Should I start a go fund me site?  Would you like to contribute?

My comment stands, your shot at Betty revealed your real motives in posting this article.

It is very easy to blame and sneer at the victims and propose obviously unworkable solutions as you and several others who don't live here and don't have or have had this problem seem to enjoy doing on this topic.   

I don't recall having to deal with trash being picked up, no. We did deal with all kinds of other issues however being in the BnB business.We quickly found that "When in Rome, do as the Romans". So we might not have had a piece of paper that said we could serve beer and wine to the public for the 2 years we did lunch for the public. We served beer and wine and never had a problem. We had to deal officially with Regalamentos, the bomberos, CFE, Telmex and probably others I don't remember. Guests were always trying to use our private phone to call all over the place. I went to Telmex to see about getting a pay phone. Sorry, there is a 2 year waiting list. Spoke to our friend Lupita in San Antonio. Pappy, come with me I know the lady in charge at Telmex. The very next day 2 Telmex workers showed up at around 6:00 PM with a pay phone and proceeded to install it within about an hour. I asked them where they got it and they said they took it from the Danza del Sol since it wasn't being used much. They also left me several prepaid phone cards to be used in the phone. They each accepted a coke. Each of us figures out how to get that which is important to us or how to let go of the need.

It was a pretty weak shot at bennie, betty, et. al. He/she can probably take it or respond for themself.

Now, why would I explain to you, plural, how you, MC, can get all of your neighborhood trash picked up? You fail to see your own problem, it's too close to your face. You, MC, need only worry about getting your trash picked up, not everyone elses. You probably don't need a go fund me site for that but if you can't afford it let me know and I can make a couple of calls and it will happen. Your problem is you are envious of people such as Harry and you strive for that kind of recognition. Ain't gonna happen unless you learn Spanish, become a citizen or move back to New Mexico. Slow down, smell the roses and enjoy your life and stop tilting at windmills. I don't believe we have ever met but I suspect you are an OK guy.

Suerte.

It is time to call a truce.  Obviously some of you like talking about Garbage, others hate it, Me? you got me counting black bags on the street. Why don't we just take a rest and find something else to complain about. How about the rain or maybe the fact that the lake is now at it's highest level in several years on this date.

Leftclick here for lake level

Wrong Pappys.  Having my trash picked up won't deal with the blight and health hazard of having trash stacked up and scattered all over the neighborhood.  My trash is not the issue.  If it doesn't get picked up that day, I bring it back in.  At some point I pay the guy who picks up at La Bodega to take it away if that is required.

The issue is that our local government is failing at the most basic level.  We are not talking here about your petty bureaucratic problems over some permit at your B&B.   

We are talking here about a growing public health problem affecting a lot of people.  See if you can grasp the difference.

You're simply demonstrating that you really haven't a clue about how to deal with this and are covering that with blame the victim and pontificating.

From afar.

MC if you wish to continue this discussion please be patient. I have an appointment at 10:00 to get my second cataract removed. The hospital is about 4 miles away and I need to call a taxi and proceed over there. 45 minutes should give me plenty of time.

Pontificating? Really?

I agree with you, Pappy. Especially with that brilliant observation: "Each of us figures out how to get that which is important to us or how to let go of the need."

I just looked at the two trash photos posted here as an example of the horrible, unacceptable trash piles that absolutely nothing can be done about. Seriously, I see trash collections like that on a regular basis IN CHAPALA. Used to see it in my old neighborhood IN CHAPALA all the time. In my former neighborhood, someone would pick up the loose trash and put it in a bag. Sometimes it was the person whose trash it was. Sometimes it was a kind neighbor. If the problem became endemic the residents would figure out a way to solve it. I am not sure exactly what they would do, but trash was not acceptable so something would be done to resolve it. 

You don't have to be afar to see when two people obsessively post about garbage, U.S. politics, and corrupt local government in Ajijic up to ten times a day, every day, that these persons have some serious personal health issues. Much more serious than public health issues.

On 7/18/2017 at 8:55 AM, pappysmarket said:

I don't recall having to deal with trash being picked up, no. We did deal with all kinds of other issues however being in the BnB business.We quickly found that "When in Rome, do as the Romans". So we might not have had a piece of paper that said we could serve beer and wine to the public for the 2 years we did lunch for the public. We served beer and wine and never had a problem. We had to deal officially with Regalamentos, the bomberos, CFE, Telmex and probably others I don't remember.

I remember a time, not so long ago, when pappysmarket could be counted on for light-hearted, friendly repartee. Now he has been pummeled needlessly, as seems to be standard on this board, and shows signs of leaving that lovely plain for a descent into something darker.

MY turn: you say you never had a piece of paper to cover your beer and wine sales... for TWO YEARS??!! That's it, I am putting our tax dollars to work to sic the authorities on you now, Bud. You will rue the day you tried to have a thoughtful conversation with helpful examples on THIS board.

45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I remember a time, not so long ago, when pappysmarket could be counted on for light-hearted, friendly repartee. Now he has been pummeled needlessly, as seems to be standard on this board, and shows signs of eaving that lovely plain for a descent into something darker.

MY turn: you say you never had a piece of paper to cover your beer and wine sales... for TWO YEARS??!! That's it, I am putting our tax dollars to work to sic the authorities on you now, Bud. You will rue the day you tried to have a thoughtful conversation with helpful examples on THIS board.

Gracias amigo. I'm back from cataract surgery. I assume you have your official cedula needed to be doing all that technical computer consulting.

Back atcha, LOL.

Archived