Chapala.com Webboard

TV Lakeside

Herman

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Which TV service is most common? I'd like to keep up on my NOB shows. Do you get all the US networks in English?

gracias

Networks are on Shaw Satellite, Direct TV and Dish Network, There a few channels you may not get dependingo on which transponder they are on. The Neworks are on strongest transponders. 

There are also streaming services which carry them providing you set up a VPN to connect to them in the U.S.  That is how we get our TV and hence do not have to deal with huge dishes, finicky services and high prices for stuff we don't want.  You have to have steady basic internet service of 3 MB or better, however.

And remember that there are many places lakeside which have poor internet service. My primary provider is down (Telmex Infinitum and I am using my backup Telecable system which can drop down below 3 mb/sec

According to Consumer Reports, one needs

1 Mb/sec for standard definition  and most all get this speed

8 Mb/sec for high quality HD and fewer folks have that

18 Mb/sec for 4K HDR and almost no one gets that kind of speed.

Cutting the cord works but you are going to be lucky to be able to get a constant 8 Mb/sec

On 7/16/2017 at 9:22 PM, Mainecoons said:

There are also streaming services which carry them providing you set up a VPN to connect to them in the U.S.  That is how we get our TV and hence do not have to deal with huge dishes, finicky services and high prices for stuff we don't want.  You have to have steady basic internet service of 3 MB or better, however.

Can you tell me which VPN you use?  I've tried several of these with Netflix and have had no luck.  Also, are you watching TV on Hulu?

We have Shaw TV via Canada. Our only vice. Lovely to watch PBS and other channels. Honestly, I don't know if I could be here if I could not enjoy the US news channels and PBS. I would be happy to subscribe locally if I could, but this is impossible so far as I know.

2 hours ago, TooMuchCoffee said:

Can you tell me which VPN you use?  I've tried several of these with Netflix and have had no luck.  Also, are you watching TV on Hulu?

Strong.  Occasionally they get blocked by NetFlix but they have it back up and running in a few days.

No, don't use Hulu.

The other thing we do is download shows direct from pirate sites and run them using an OPlay!  Watching Game of Thrones and Poldark that way right now.

Archived