Chapala.com Webboard

New Indian Restaurant

Wookie

1 hour ago, MexSeekin said:

I completely concur with your assessment, Bisbee Gal, and it is unlikely that I will return.

On the other hand, I do wish the proprietor well, as he is clearly earnest, the food is at least fresh tasting, the serving portions are generous, and the meal prices are more than reasonable.  If his gringo-ized recipes find favor with the local customer base -- and it seems that they have -- I say welcome to the restaurant scene and more power to him.

What a refreshing attitude and comment!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

What a refreshing attitude and comment!

Good attitude, yes. 

My take on it is that it's far better "fast food" than anything else in the food court and if you're not expecting the joys of a "real" Indian sit-down restaurant such as some of us were lucky enough to have access to in the States, you can have a tasty meal with no waiting and no fuss.  Maybe he could have a spicy supplemental packet for those who would enjoy the food better by adding it. 

We were in a hurry yesterday and it filled the bill well. Set well on the tummy, too. 

Many good eateries here are very slow....which is fine most of the time.  I say: "you gotta judge a dog in its class".  It's a great addition to the "fast food" scene, IMHO.

Agreed! It's very tasty food; I'm not gonna get hung up on the voracity of the purists pouring out of India today. It's fast, it's good, it's priced right. Perfect for me.

And I must say, even though Raj has placed an ad in this week's Reporter, considering the uproar on this board, he is getting some pretty good publicity already.

I was back for a third try on Saturday, and got a Combo 2, with chicken curry and something else. It was so noisy at the plaza, I couldn't hear properly. Not only was there not a single table available, because of all the people, but a Cuban band was playing WAY too loudly for the space. Almost every food stall was busy, with the exception of Giovanni, who for some reason had closed up early, missing a great opportunity. I know the Indian place is quite a competitor to him, even though I have seen Raj eating Gio's pasta...

The curry content was back up to proper levels and the basmati was back, too. Both food items were very very good. Also, it's nice to be able to slip out for a good meal without too much fuss.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I was back for a third try on Saturday, and got a Combo 2, with chicken curry and something else. It was so noisy at the plaza, I couldn't hear properly. Not only was there not a single table available, because of all the people, but a Cuban band was playing WAY too loudly for the space. Almost every food stall was busy, with the exception of Giovanni, who for some reason had closed up early, missing a great opportunity. I know the Indian place is quite a competitor to him, even though I have seen Raj eating Gio's pasta...

The curry content was back up to proper levels and the basmati was back, too. Both food items were very very good. Also, it's nice to be able to slip out for a good meal without too much fuss.

Good to hear it is back on track. I am not an experienced Indian food eater but enjoyed all I had so far. It was before he "dumbed" it down, luckily for me he went back to what he was doing in the first place. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" still holds true. I will be there again this week, perhaps today.

• 2 weeks later...

We eat at Curry at least once a week.  The food compares favorably with what I ate in India.  Even in India the food ranges from mild to hot, seemingly dependent on the region.  Curry by its very nature is a blend of spices that takes ones taste buds on an adventurous journey.   The food is fresh and well cooked.  The staff friendly and accommodating.  We are fortunate to have a place to eat that serves fresh, authentic food at such reasonable prices.  And, hey folks, they owners are still experimenting and looking for direction from their audience.  They do wish to please us.  My recommendation is that you go there and enjoy the journey

I finally got to try the Indian restaurant in Laguna Mall. It is good-not quite what I'm used to but certainly the best around.

3 hours ago, cedros said:

I finally got to try the Indian restaurant in Laguna Mall. It is good-not quite what I'm used to but certainly the best around.

Unless what you are used to is Indian food from a booth in a food court in the central highlands of Mexico why would you expect it to be what you are used to?

On 8/20/2017 at 10:51 AM, Xena said:

Unless what you are used to is Indian food from a booth in a food court in the central highlands of Mexico why would you expect it to be what you are used to?

It definitely meets and exceeds the standards for mall food I have known.

Suggestion:  if you find, like my husband and I did, that there is more rice and sauce than you want to eat at one setting, pour the sauce over the rice and take it home. It makes a tasty meal with a few additives.  I peeled and used some diced up bratwurst (from the sausage guys at the Tuesday market) and some veggies.  Delicious!

• 4 months later...

They have made it mild of necessity, for the expat climate. If you want something more, just ask them and they will happy to make it for you. They do it all the time. Other than that, it all tastes good to me, every dish. On Sunday we had beef curry, chicken curry, and butter chicken. Licked up every last drop.

Today was the second time I've gone. Boy, they missed on my meal. I ordered chicken tandoori. It was roasted, but not tandoori. The chicken was good, but total miss on the flavor. Won't order that again, because it's too much for plain chicken. I asked for the two curries I ordered to be made hotter. I was given a little container of hot sauce and told to add it myself. Well, duh. There was no one else there, over crowded wasn't an excuse.

I'll go back, because Indian is my favorite, but there is an appearance of attentiveness that didn't translate over to the food.

Archived