Chapala.com Webboard

Reports of lava near Lake Chapala could signify birth of a new volcano

There may be a reason to leave Lakeside brewing on the east side of the lake. I am sure glad I am only a renter. 

http://geo-mexico.com/?p=14322 July 10, 2017

Video: http://www.hoyestado.com/2017/07/video-naceria-nuevo-volcan-en-michoacan/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its about 40-50 miles SE of LC/Ajijic.  Not really something that affects the west end, but could pose a problem for that little village.

This is a statement from an article: Residents have been advised there is no danger although soldiers have been deployed to the field to seal it from public access.

11 minutes ago, PORTIMOM said:

Its about 40-50 miles SE of LC/Ajijic.  Not really something that affects the west end, but could pose a problem for that little village.

This is a statement from an article: Residents have been advised there is no danger although soldiers have been deployed to the field to seal it from public access.

Sounds like The Vatican

"The Pope is fine".

"The Pope is dead".

1 hour ago, PORTIMOM said:

40-50 miles is not a long ways in some instances.

I don't think it is a danger at the moment, but something to keep an eye on.

2 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

This whole valley is a caldera, an extinct volcano pit.

Can you post a link that verifies the lake is a caldera, please?

I only find this:

The only caldera recognized in the western section is that of La Primavera, the forested area west of Guadalajara, whose formation we considered in

In the central and eastern sections of the Volcanic Axis, several other calderas have been recognized. They include (from west to east):

• Los Azufres
  • Amealco
  • Mazahua
  • Huichapan
  • Los Humeros
  • Las Cumbres

http://geo-mexico.com/?p=9437

4 minutes ago, JayBearII said:

The story plainly states:

The only caldera recognized in the western section is that of La Primavera, the forested area west of Guadalajara, whose formation we considered in

In the central and eastern sections of the Volcanic Axis, several other calderas have been recognized. They include (from west to east):

• Los Azufres
  • Amealco
  • Mazahua
  • Huichapan
  • Los Humeros
  • Las Cumbres

The Paricutin Volcano is dormant and has been since 1952. ...born in '43 and dead in '52. It's a fascinating area to explore.

All the hot springs in this area have water heated by underground lava streams... so yeah, I believe it's an old caldera. Better leave while you still can :P

When Mount Colima began its recent phase of activity, I read something in the Mexican press that confirmed that Lake Chapala is indeed a caldera. According to the article, the magma chamber deep beneath the lake spewed forth from Mount Colima in an eruption thousands of years ago. The empty chamber eventually collapsed, creating a depression (caldera) on the surface which later filled with water.

18 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Can you post a link that verifies the lake is a caldera, please?

I only find this:

• Los Azufres
  • Amealco
  • Mazahua
  • Huichapan
  • Los Humeros
  • Las Cumbres

http://geo-mexico.com/?p=9437

How about just looking around?  See all those mountains all around the valley?  Look at the soil in the mountains.  It is all volcanic upchuck.  

The mountains were formed when the volcano was young and active and the lake was formed when the center collapsed.

The lake at one time filled this whole valley, you can see the lap marks on the east end of the valley as you top the hill going toward the airport.  The west end washed out at some point a long time ago and the lake actually extended westward for a much bigger area until they put the dam in where the road goes to the south side of the lake.

Actually, at one point there was a huge lake in this area that covers what is now Guadalajara.  That was a long time ago.

There are hot springs on both ends of the lake that show there is still hot magma in the area.

Places like this have been known to "burp occasionally" and emit large amounts of CO2 and other gasses.  There are documented cases in Africa where this has happened and caused 1000s of deaths.  That's a nice thought, isn't it?

There are 3 tectonic plates that converge in this area, a rather rare occurrence, so the place is prone to earthquakes also and in 9 years, there have been several in the area.

There's big volcanoes at Colima and at CD Mexico and we are on that line.

Volcanoes are unpredictable beasts.  They can puff along benignly for centuries, then blow up in a hurry.  Mt St Helens in the US is a great example and that big volcano in the Philippines is another.

Now, that I've totally ruined your day, I've known this since I arrived 9 years ago and I sleep well at night. 

Good post JRM.  Of course, the big gorilla in the room we call North America, is poised to take us all out......we call it Yellowstone.  It is HUGE, and unpredictable. 

41 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

Now, that I've totally ruined your day, I've known this since I arrived 9 years ago and I sleep well at night.

Gee willikers, I wonder why Geo Mexico and others don't know about your observation of Lake Chapala.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Gee willikers, I wonder why Geo Mexico and others don't know about your observation of Lake Chapala.

Maybe it is because they are illiterate or don't know about Google.  Those scientific papers do use 3 and 4 syllable words at times.

Just a thought.........

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Good post JRM.  Of course, the big gorilla in the room we call North America, is poised to take us all out......we call it Yellowstone.  It is HUGE, and unpredictable. 

If that puppy goes, we are all modern day dinosaurs.

I'm really hoping to miss that one.  Of course, I wouldn't be too happy if the local one came to life again either.

That hot spot about 50 miles east shows that the area is still active.  

There's fault lines all throughout MX and these are masonry houses.  Doesn't take much to shake one apart.

Don't worry, be happy.  No one lives forever.............  

9 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

Maybe it is because they are illiterate or don't know about Google.  Those scientific papers do use 3 and 4 syllable words at times.

Just a thought.........

Do us a favor and post a Googled link that says that lake Chapal is a caldera, please.

Archived