Chapala.com Webboard

Harry Bruce    1

Can a visitor that stays on a 180 day visitor permit own and drive a golf cart? Do you require insurance? Does it matter if it is gas or electric for any rules of the law. Was going to renew as a visitor for another 180 days before the 1st 180 day visa runs out.

RVGRINGO    855

You cannot renew in Mexico, but must leave the country and get another FMM tourist permit upon re-entry.

The simple answer is that golf carts are not generally legal on public thoroughfares. However, enforcement is lax on lightly traveled back streets, and there may be some upscale carts with headlights, signals and other safety features, which may be able to be registered and licensed.  That said, tourists can buy some things, but may not be able to make their use official, and/or practical, without having a residence visa.  A tourist permit will not qualify one to get the other official documents common to legal residents; such as a CURP, RFC; for example, and even getting proof of address or a telephone can be a problem.   I always suggested that if I were to ever struck, or my car damaged by an uninsured vehicle/golf cart, that person would spend some time in jail until everything was settled.  Personally; I would not drive one on public roads without registration and insurance as required for vehicles by the state of Jalisco.  Beware of fakes!

Harry Bruce    1

I have full intention of putting insurance on the golf cart. As far as you making sure that if someone damaged your car and the uninsured person spending time in jail is really something. Typical American that would want to sue someone's ### off. Maybe you should help build the wall for Trump and stay put in Tucson.lol

• Like 1

AngusMactavish    123

The requirement for a visa to own and register a vehicle is a Chapala only requirement. I was not willing to wait until I got a visa to buy a car. S&S wouldn't even sell me one without a visa, so I went to Ocotlan and bought and registered a car with only my passport & cash.

Harry Bruce    1
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, pappysmarket said:

Typical Newbie RV, they know everything. I would probably do something worse than see they went to jail.

What would you do? Shoot then ask questions later? LOL

RVGRINGO    855

Harry,

An uninsured person, in the event of an accident causing injury, or without cash on hand to settle on the spot, will automatically go to jail.  Ministerio Publico will investigate and he will remain in jail until all is settled.  Additionally, you may find it difficult to obtain reliable insurance for a non-standard/off-road vehicle; although there will be someone anxious to sell you some paper. Collecting would be the problem.  Mexican laws and procedures are not at all similar to those in the USA.  You will learn, if you live there long enough, that it is best not to fight the system. You will always lose.....absolutely always.

• Like 2

Harry Bruce    1
4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Harry,

An uninsured person, in the event of an accident causing injury, or without cash on hand to settle on the spot, will automatically go to jail.  Ministerio Publico will investigate and he will remain in jail until all is settled.  Additionally, you may find it difficult to obtain reliable insurance for a non-standard/off-road vehicle; although there will be someone anxious to sell you some paper. Collecting would be the problem.  Mexican laws and procedures are not at all similar to those in the USA.  You will learn, if you live there long enough, that it is best not to fight the system. You will always lose.....absolutely always.

Hi RVGRINGO,

I appreciate what your saying. We are moving from Canada Nov 1st and don't want to drive . We have decided to fly in with our 2 small dogs. For the most of the time we will bus it or go by taxi when needed. First thing we will do is try to talk to the Police office and or ministry before we buy a golf cart to get around. We have contacts from other Canadians as for reputable insurance companies. When we get the go ahead to purchase and do the insurance from the police etc then we will proceed with our purchase knowing that we have followed the laws and their system to the TTTTTT and not hearsay from anyone. May try to get the ok in writing. We love Lake Chapala and are looking forward to moving.

AngusMactavish    123

Why not rent a cart and ask the rental company about their use, requirements, and restrictions?

Also, make sure the Canadian insurance covers you in Mexico because I would bet not.

RVGRINGO    855

The police have no jurisdiction in such matters. Such enforcement is by “transitos“, who are low level traffic officers of the State of Jalisco.  The Ministerio Publico is the investigative agency which is involved after a crime has been alleged, or committed.  As is frequently the case in Mexico, you will be told whatever you want to hear, so I advise caution.  Police and transitos are not your friends, and are not “on your side“.  Corruption is the name of the game & it is quite obvious to most.  The one who says it is OK, may turn up later to give you a ticket; with a big grin. Of course, for convenience, you can overpay the never-written ticket right then, in cash.......You know the drill.:unsure:

Joco    110
On 7/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, Harry Bruce said:

What would you do? Shoot then ask questions later? LOL

The problem in MX is that accidents are civil and criminal. You can sit in jail until all damages are paid. I don't know how you can go fast enough with a golf cart to do any real damage to another vehicle without killing yourself.

Don't drive on the highways. Stay on the neighborhood streets. Drive carefully. Only Trafficos and Federales can ask for your papers and give you tickets. The municipal cops who you will see in town, can't. They cannot ticket you.

Where you will get insurance for a golf cart, I do not know. Most motorcycles don't have insurance.

The poster "RV" lived here for many years and because of health problems he returned to the U.S. He is a wealth of information.

• Like 2