Chapala.com Webboard

In search of Boursain cheese

bdlngton

Has anybody seen Boursain cheese with garlic and herbs anywhere recently?  Costco has not had it for quite awhile, therefore Super Lake hasn't had it either.  I stopped at Fresko on Lopez Mateos Sur today thinking they might carry it as someone had described it as an upscale grocery store similar to Whole Foods (not in my observation) thinking they might carry it.  They had Alouette, which is similar, but not the same.  I know from experience that Superama doesn't carry it.  I was settling for Rondele but now Walmart does not seem to be carrying that anymore.  But so far nothing I've tried is as good as Boursain.  I don't need anyone telling me about making my own imitation Boursain because I've tried that and it doesn't measure up.  I'd be willing to drive to Guadalajara (but not the border) to stock up on Boursain if anybody can recommend a store they know for sure carries it.  Or if anybody is flying back from up north and can bring me some, I'd be most grateful.  I know from personal experience it travels well if frozen.  In the meantime I'll try the Alouette I bought at Fresko today and dream of real Boursain.  

1 hour ago, bdlngton said:

I will check out a Chedrui when I'm in Guadalajara next week.  It makes sense that  French supermarket would carry a French cheese.

Chedraui is entirely a Mexican-owned store, not French.  The now enormous chain was founded in Veracruz, in 1927, by Lázaro Chedraui Chaya, a Mexican of Lebanese descent. The current president of the company is Antonio Chedraui Obeso, assisted by his son.   In 2007, the Chedraui company bought out the supermarket chain Carrefour, making Chedraui Mexico's third-largest retailer, behind WalMart and Soriana.  

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

Chedraui is entirely a Mexican-owned store, not French.  The now enormous chain was founded in Veracruz, in 1927, by Lázaro Chedraui Chaya, a Mexican of Lebanese descent. The current president of the company is Antonio Chedraui Obeso, assisted by his son.   In 2007, the Chedraui company bought out the supermarket chain Carrefour, making Chedraui Mexico's third-largest retailer, behind WalMart and Soriana.  

Thank you for the correction.

You are not totally off somewhere along the line it was owned by a French company, I think they sold about 10 years ago. When I arrived in San Cristobal Chiapas Chedraui had a good selection of French wines but that went by the way side in San Cristobal. I forget who owned them but it was one of the big French box store maybe Auchan or some other ...

On 7/3/2017 at 5:06 PM, bmh said:

You are not totally off somewhere along the line it was owned by a French company, I think they sold about 10 years ago. When I arrived in San Cristobal Chiapas Chedraui had a good selection of French wines but that went by the way side in San Cristobal. I forget who owned them but it was one of the big French box store maybe Auchan or some other ...

Chedraui was never owned by a French company.  At one time, Carrefour (a French company) was active in Mexico.  Carrefour Mexico was purchased and incorporated into its brand by Chedraui in 2007.  I posted the history on June 29.

• 1 month later...

I'm still trying to find Boursin cheese.  As I have not been able to get to Guadalajara recently, some kind friends checked out Chedraui  where Artsnob said he bought some in late June.  They went to both the Chedraui on Avenida Vallarta last month and the one on Avenida Acueducto bear Andares mall yesterday.  No Boursin, just Rondele, which to me is a poor substitute for Boursin.  So to my original question again, has aybody seen Boursin with garlic and herbs anywhere recently?   Not Rondele, not Alouette, not jocoque with garlic and herbs, not a homemade version.  Real Boursin with garlic and herbs in the  green package.  

12 hours ago, bdlngton said:

I'm still trying to find Boursin cheese.  As I have not been able to get to Guadalajara recently, some kind friends checked out Chedraui  where Artsnob said he bought some in late June.  They went to both the Chedraui on Avenida Vallarta last month and the one on Avenida Acueducto bear Andares mall yesterday.  No Boursin, just Rondele, which to me is a poor substitute for Boursin.  So to my original question again, has aybody seen Boursin with garlic and herbs anywhere recently?   Not Rondele, not Alouette, not jocoque with garlic and herbs, not a homemade version.  Real Boursin with garlic and herbs in the  green package.  

I just did a search for Boursin in Mexico City.  Nothing.  I've seen several "tipo Boursin" ads, but nothing that is what you are looking for.

3 hours ago, More Liana said:

I just did a search for Boursin in Mexico City.  Nothing.  I've seen several "tipo Boursin" ads, but nothing that is what you are looking for.

All of a sudden it seems that Boursin has disappeared from the Mexican market.  Costco used to sell it so Super Lake got it there and resold it but Costco no longer carries it.  I'm really curious if art snob really bought Boursin at the Chedraui on Acueducto near Andares back at the end of June or if it was a Boursin "wannabe" like Rondele.  I know that yesterday my friends found Rondele at that Chedraui but no Boursin.  I'm thinking that Costco was the only store importing Boursin and, for whatever reason, stopped.  Guess I'll have to wait until my next trip to the US and bring back a suitcase full.  Luckily it freezes well.

Archived