Chapala.com Webboard

Ministerio Publico

Avenida Gonzales Gallo 17 according to their facebook.. No need for an appointment, just a lot pf patience, passport and copies, take at least 2 and probably original and copies of your RT or RP and translator if you are not fluent in Spanish. You will be ask to describe in details what happened..

It is not always a waste of time.  Take for example when an expat commits a crime and the report is filed.  The victim has the option of notifying immigration.  Immigration will followup the investigation and deport if the facts are there.

The reason it is not a waste of time is that the Ministerio publico cannot press charges if no one denounces it. The more denouncias there are against the people who did it and the more they will be charged with. This said  the Reform is trying to lessen the number of people in jails and if they did not commit a violent crimes there is little chances that they will be jailed...

The last time I went to the Ministerio Publico was maybe in in 2005 when my home was broken into and things were stolen from my home. I was told that if I wanted to use my homeowners insurance, I needed to make a report if I wanted to file a claim. It was an OK experience,. I brought a translator with me the first time who helped me with the paperwork and statement. I remember that the second time I was there about something, I had forgotten to bring in the first time, that there was an English speaking person there.

Everything worked out fine with the insurance company. I have no idea if anyone was ever identified as the crook. I doubt it because I could give no clues other than what was stolen, or missing a day or to later when I came back and discovered someone had broken in.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:52 AM, El Saltos said:

It's a useless waste of time!  In the case of forced entry they will come weeks after you've repaired the damage to inspect and "gather evidence."

we filed with MP after being robbed by our nextdoor neighborhood squatters. we had already informed the police 3 times and were sick of it. it took hours to go through the process and nothing was ever done. tried to get a case number to check up on progress and was unable to get one. we even pointed to the perps and zip. noticed last week that a guy was shot in the leg while robbing Monte Cosala , which is directly above our property,and they didn't press charges! so even if they catch him in the act with the goods on him,here's nothing done.

Well Maggiesmom the first two responders answered your question.   The others seemed to fault the police for not catching the perps.   I am not sure how they are informed as to the success rate but I do know that the rate for apprehension of Break-and-Enter perps is less than 10 percent in the rest of the democratic world.   There are great reasons to report.   Statistics lead to more police interest and insurance companies demand it.  

Archived