Chapala.com Webboard

Consular quibbles

seoulguy

I live a matter of minutes from the new location of the Tucson AZ Mexican consulate. Visa candidates are told on the website to call for requirements and appointments. As to requirements for this particular consulate, one would think that uploading a simple list on the website would be helpful. Instead one is directed to leave a message. I guess messages disappear, as I get no callbacks. I'm familiar with the "manana" issue, but the consulate should be somewhat more accommodating to retirees asking to spend their money in Mexico.  I don't think a visit would yield much. Has anyone had better luck with some other consulate? What might be a solution to the above problem? This is tantamount to not even making it to first base.  I'd rather not engage in a hit-and-miss strategy when it comes to presenting my papers and arranging for a move. Thanks.

Engage the services of a facilitator. We had a similar issue trying on our own. Hired Sonia Diaz. Next day had our MX Consulate appointment. We pick up our Permanente today. Despite a little longer wait than expected, a simple, headache free process for a very reasonable fee. 

Go to some other consulate websites and see what they want.  Make a comprehensive list.   Make 4 sets of copies of everything.  Go ahead and get the police report on you that some consulates want.  Call and tell them what day and time you will be there.  Then go.  You may have to go back several times.  Keep smiling and a very civil tongue.  Oh and please dress nicely most of the visitors to the Detroit consulate the many times we have been there are dressed in their Sunday best church clothes.  It's respectful.

This will be excellent practice for mexican bureaucracy.

3 hours ago, zerbit said:

Engage the services of a facilitator. We had a similar issue trying on our own. Hired Sonia Diaz. Next day had our MX Consulate appointment. We pick up our Permanente today. Despite a little longer wait than expected, a simple, headache free process for a very reasonable fee. 

I have the Sonia Diaz website, but I thought she facilitated from the Mexico/IMS side, not the consular state side. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I went to the Mexican Consulate in Nogales, Az.

I called them on the telephone, their  # is (520) 287 2521, they answered all my questions, told me what I needed to bring with... and made an appointment for me. Well mannered, polite, and accommodating people.They will treat you right.

After the initial appointment, everything was done locally. I hired a lady to be my "Facilitator"... She chaffeured me to  appointments,  drew up and submitted the necessary paperwork and saw to the mailing in,  the checking on and the phone calls.

Sure... I could have done it myself...  but she knew who to go to for this and who to ask for that. which corners to cut and who to pat on the back... made her worth every peso... 

Nogales Consulate treat you like a guest. Lizzy

PS I hired Rosa in San Carlos, where we live... you will want to hire one from your area when you get back to Lakeside.

4 hours ago, seoulguy said:

I have the Sonia Diaz website, but I thought she facilitated from the Mexico/IMS side, not the consular state side. Let me know if I'm wrong.

She made the appointment for us at the Sacramento MX Consulate when we could not get a return call and the appointment function on the web site did not work. So she did get the US process moving for us as well. Once in SMA ( we have a home in Ajijic and Guanajuato City) she walked us through everything. Just picked up our Permanente cards today! 

On 6/21/2017 at 7:00 AM, seoulguy said:

I live a matter of minutes from the new location of the Tucson AZ Mexican consulate. Visa candidates are told on the website to call for requirements and appointments. As to requirements for this particular consulate, one would think that uploading a simple list on the website would be helpful. Instead one is directed to leave a message. I guess messages disappear, as I get no callbacks. I'm familiar with the "manana" issue, but the consulate should be somewhat more accommodating to retirees asking to spend their money in Mexico.  I don't think a visit would yield much. Has anyone had better luck with some other consulate? What might be a solution to the above problem? This is tantamount to not even making it to first base.  I'd rather not engage in a hit-and-miss strategy when it comes to presenting my papers and arranging for a move. Thanks.

It is well know, at least on these Forum Boards, that Mexican Consulates in the US not only may have varying requirements but also 'treat' folks with different levels of customer service.  And also some Consulates, even 'tho they might have a webpage and a telephone number, don't respond to that medium. You, I think, have lived all over the world and you have probably observed differences within each. Expecting the consulates to meet your "should be somewhat more accommodating" comment suggests a certain naivety which I doubt you really have.

Sounds like the Nogales Consulate may be your answer. Reports suggest that the Laredo Consulate is equally accommodating to its 'customers'.

23 hours ago, bobnliz said:

I went to the Mexican Consulate in Nogales, Az.

I called them on the telephone, their  # is (520) 287 2521, they answered all my questions, told me what I needed to bring with... and made an appointment for me. Well mannered, polite, and accommodating people.They will treat you right.

After the initial appointment, everything was done locally. I hired a lady to be my "Facilitator"... She chaffeured me to  appointments,  drew up and submitted the necessary paperwork and saw to the mailing in,  the checking on and the phone calls.

Sure... I could have done it myself...  but she knew who to go to for this and who to ask for that. which corners to cut and who to pat on the back... made her worth every peso... 

Nogales Consulate treat you like a guest. Lizzy

PS I hired Rosa in San Carlos, where we live... you will want to hire one from your area when you get back to Lakeside.

A sound, practical suggestion. I'll make a note of the phone contact and give them a call.  I don't drive, but there is public transportation from Tucson. It would eat up a day, but if all could be accomplished in one appointment, it might work.  A comment on Sonia Diaz who is nice, but offered no further help than go to Laredo, which, of course, is impossible. Very nice and helpful responses, all in all, but in my defense, I am 74, have lived in Mexico extensively, speak Spanish, run an international Internet-based business and am neither naïve nor a fool.

I tried calling the Phoenix consulate and never got an answer. I used a facilitator. Gathered the required paperwork. Showed up at the Phoenix consulate. First in line. First at the desk. She said I was missing one bank statement. Ran across the road and paid $10 for three copies. Jumped line at the consulate. She walked in the back attached my resident visa I thanked her and was on my way.

Phoenix. In my opinion, has their act together.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, Bajabrady said:

I tried calling the Phoenix consulate and never got an answer. I used a facilitator. Gathered the required paperwork. Showed up at the Phoenix consulate. First in line. First at the desk. She said I was missing one bank statement. Ran across the road and paid $10 for three copies. Jumped line at the consulate. She walked in the back attached my resident visa I thanked her and was on my way.

Phoenix. In my opinion, has their act together.

Bajabrady, thanks for the comment. Precisely the reason I want to know the exact requirements. My banks are in MT and IN, so no jumping around.  I'll call Nogales, and if I feel that I can get the info I need and they're willing to be flexible on appointment times, might work, then again, might not.  Can you recommend your facilitator, as he/she may know a counterpart in Tucson? 

My one-and-only son is in Tucson; I have been in Chapala for 12 years and I have visited #1 son often. I have never heard that they even HAVE a Mexican consulate in Tucson. And even tho they probably do, all consulates are not created equal. IMO you need to get on the Arizona Shuttle (2.5 hrs. to Phoenix, nice people run it, it's cheap) and get yourself to the consulate there. Likely you can be back in the same day if you leave early. Best wishes--let us know how you do.

2 hours ago, JayBearII said:

My one-and-only son is in Tucson; I have been in Chapala for 12 years and I have visited #1 son often. I have never heard that they even HAVE a Mexican consulate in Tucson. And even tho they probably do, all consulates are not created equal. IMO you need to get on the Arizona Shuttle (2.5 hrs. to Phoenix, nice people run it, it's cheap) and get yourself to the consulate there. Likely you can be back in the same day if you leave early. Best wishes--let us know how you do.

They certainly do have a Consulate in Tucson - it was not known for being user friendly although we did manage to get our FM3's there some 12 years ago in just one visit which included some waiting around.

22 hours ago, JayBearII said:

Someone has already quoted you. I live in Tucson and didn't know there was a consulate. It was on Stone downtown, and the new facility is on Broadway, but that didn't change their reluctance to service the Visa program. What's an Arizona Shuttle? Just walking in w/o having the right papers and w/o an appointment seems like a recipe for disaster. Seems like there's also a small consulate in Calexico, across the border from Mexicali. But, for all I know, they could stonewall for a week or more.  I believe it's better to deal with, and pay, a facilitator to 1) get the firm doc requirements and 2) make an appointment. Otherwise, too much wheel spinning. I'm a firm believer in Mexican networking. You always have to know someone who knows someone else. That's always worked before.

Archived