Chapala.com Webboard

I had never heard of Basa, but recently had Fish and Chips at Poutine Place. When I raved about how delicious they were, the owner emphatically told me that they NEVER use Basa.  Now I understand why.   I forget what he told me they use, but it was plump, flaky and very tasty.   BTW, he told me they can make it with other fish (even salmon) if requested. 

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of eating "some kind of fish", there's the "mahi mahi" which we know by now is, like basa, "some kind of fish" of unknown origin and virtue.  As far as I know, Mahi Mahi was fished out long ago and whatever is being sold is something else.  Anyone know what it actually is and where it's from?

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Speaking of eating "some kind of fish", there's the "mahi mahi" which we know by now is, like basa, "some kind of fish" of unknown origin and virtue.  As far as I know, Mahi Mahi was fished out long ago and whatever is being sold is something else.  Anyone know what it actually is and where it's from?

Where did you here this fake news? Go to any dock on the Pacific coast for example and see lots of happy sports fishermen getting their picture taken standing beside their catch which is not like basa at all. The flesh doesn't look the same and  fish the size of basa are used for bait on a hook to catch the dorado/dolphin.

1 hour ago, ned small said:

Where did you here this fake news? Go to any dock on the Pacific coast for example and see lots of happy sports fishermen getting their picture taken standing beside their catch which is not like basa at all. The flesh doesn't look the same and  fish the size of basa are used for bait on a hook to catch the dorado/dolphin.

I heard it from a former Hawaii resident.  He said the Hawaiian fish known there as mahi mahi was "fished out" and what we're getting called by the same name isn't the same kind of fish.  So.......I passed it on and if it's "fake news", I accept the blame.

42 minutes ago, gringal said:

I heard it from a former Hawaii resident.  He said the Hawaiian fish known there as mahi mahi was "fished out" and what we're getting called by the same name isn't the same kind of fish.  So.......I passed it on and if it's "fake news", I accept the blame.

Umm. Perhaps if you  would have paid more attention to the fishing section on the other board you frequent  you would have seen many pics like this in their extensive fishing section related to Mexico and not Hawaii which has no relevance to the fish known as[mahi mahi/dorado/dolphin] available in the waters here and for our consumption here.

dorado.jpg

15 hours ago, ned small said:

Umm. Perhaps if you  would have paid more attention to the fishing section on the other board you frequent  you would have seen many pics like this in their extensive fishing section related to Mexico and not Hawaii which has no relevance to the fish known as[mahi mahi/dorado/dolphin] available in the waters here and for our consumption here.

dorado.jpg

There is nothing nasty about this and my name is ned small. There is no Pedro on this board. What is nasty is someone posting gross misinformation about a fish that has been proven to be readily available here in Mexico and is the real thing and not  basa.  who suggested this has pretty much insulted all the restaurants that serve dorado and as Rvgringo pointed out fish markets like the one in Chapala. I hope that what I said and this pic puts an unsubstantiated  rumour to rest.

22 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sorry. Nedro.

If it walks like a duck, etc.  There are polite ways of correcting misinformation. The original duck, wasn't.

Aside from that, I, would appreciate it if the local restaurants serving "basa" which is grown locally under good conditions would add "locally grown" to the "basa" stated on the menu.   Some people don't care; some do. At least they aren't called it "sea bass" most of the time, these days.   

22 minutes ago, gringal said:

If it walks like a duck, etc.  There are polite ways of correcting misinformation. The original duck, wasn't.

Aside from that, I, would appreciate it if the local restaurants serving "basa" which is grown locally under good conditions would add "locally grown" to the "basa" stated on the menu.   Some people don't care; some do. At least they aren't called it "sea bass" most of the time, these days.   

Basa comes from Vietnam,not to be confused with talapia  farmed and also caught locally .

10 minutes ago, ned small said:

That "basa which is grown locally" is what you wrote so why would a restaurant say that when it's not the case?

Read my post again.  I know of no restaurants which are claiming "locally grown".  Do you?  Furthermore, it would be good if the waiter knew the answer if asked.

2 hours ago, ned small said:

I quoted your post thanks.

No, you misinterpreted it in order to be "right", and this is getting beyond tedious.   My obvious intent in my posts was suggesting that restaurants using locally grown, rather than Vietnamese, simply say so.  Enough, already.  Bye

• mod-3 locked this topic

Archived