Chapala.com Webboard

Microsoft upgrades

It is a more common problem these days with all brands. The video chips are soldered to the main board, and the heat causes the solder to go brittle. It is popular to do a "reballing" (balls of solder to reattach) rather than try to replace the still-functional chip, and sometimes this is successful, sometimes not so good. This is both a cost-saving opportunity, and a "save" when the original part cannot be sourced.

Internal parts are farmed out by the majority of manufacturers, so you can find HP motherboards made by MSI, Asus, Foxconn, and so on. The same companies make mobos for Dell, too, and a host of other companies. So it is actually incorrect for a repair guy to name a brand of laptops as being more susceptible to a given problem than another brand, although it is certainly possible that a particular model of a given brand would show a recurring problem.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Windows programs on Linux.

For several years I have run Virtual Box available as a freebie from Oracle.  While there is a bit of a learning curve to set it up, once installed, it creates a Windows environment within Linux.  Access to the outside world is maintained and I have not had any problems in running Windows software within it.  I do not dual boot Windows/Linux any more, too much of a hassle and Microsoft still pokes its nose in.

Using Wine is iffy, it has too many problems.  The beauty of Virtual Box is that I can try and install any operating system within it without any bleedthrough to the base Linux (Mint17) and the lag is almost non existent.  Presently I have Win XP, Win7 and several versions of Linux available. To wipe something I am tired of I just hit the delete tab in VBox.  If I want to try something cute and new I drop it into VBox and play with it.  Yes, VBox runs Phototshop.

Since the base system is Linux I am not concerned about viruses or dealing with Microsoft.  I do not run any antivirus or firewall.  It just keeps chugging away.  

I look with dismay at the collection of CD's and helpers I have I have acquired through the years while in the Windows world.  Linux has all the utilities and goodies I will ever need as a freebie with automatic installation.  I have not visited the software bootlegger in years.  Another virtue is that Linux, especially the junior versions such as Puppy Linux, will most likely work in ancient hardware.  My 2003 laptop chugs nicely on Linux and I am sure I could pop VBox in it and do great things.

Another virtue having a Linux disc on hand is trouble shooting.  Most versions have a try before install feature.  If I boot on Linux disc and everything plays I know the hardware is OK and the problem is software.

I have a profound hatred of Microsoft.  It irks me that they have been able to continue a con and offloading junk on the public for years.  Their arrogance appalls me.

A major caveat with Linux is that some computers do not want to run WIFI.  However it is getting better and the Linux forums can steer you to the right WIFI stick.  Running a Linux disc without installation will determine if WIFI will work.  Another area to check when buying a printer is to see if it has Linux drivers.

In general it took a bit of effort to leave the Windows world.  I have no regrets and a lot of sympathy to the poor folks still stuck in it.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It is a more common problem these days with all brands. The video chips are soldered to the main board, and the heat causes the solder to go brittle. It is popular to do a "reballing" (balls of solder to reattach) rather than try to replace the still-functional chip, and sometimes this is successful, sometimes not so good. This is both a cost-saving opportunity, and a "save" when the original part cannot be sourced.

Internal parts are farmed out by the majority of manufacturers, so you can find HP motherboards made by MSI, Asus, Foxconn, and so on. The same companies make mobos for Dell, too, and a host of other companies. So it is actually incorrect for a repair guy to name a brand of laptops as being more susceptible to a given problem than another brand, although it is certainly possible that a particular model of a given brand would show a recurring problem.

I have an HP laptop that was running hot.  Added a cooling pad and it helped just a little.  Switched the OS to Linus and the problem went away.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Internal parts are farmed out by the majority of manufacturers, so you can find HP motherboards made by MSI, Asus, Foxconn, and so on. The same companies make mobos for Dell, too, and a host of other companies. So it is actually incorrect for a repair guy to name a brand of laptops as being more susceptible to a given Ver than another brand, although it is certainly possible that a particular model of a given brand would show a recurring problem.

Very informative, thanks!  So is it possible to take an otherwise very good laptop like this dead HP I have and put some new guts in it and get a functioning updated machine?

If so anyone doing this locally or in GDL?  Is it cost effective?

3 hours ago, bajandy said:

For several years I have run Virtual Box available as a freebie from Oracle.  While there is a bit of a learning curve to set it up, once installed, it creates a Windows environment within Linux.  Access to the outside world is maintained and I have not had any problems in running Windows software within it.  I do not dual boot Windows/Linux any more, too much of a hassle and Microsoft still pokes its nose in.

Using Wine is iffy, it has too many problems.

good information.   My troubles with WIN7 have been very few, so not ready to try this yet.    Virtual machines have always been an interesting world

1 hour ago, jrm30655 said:

I have an HP laptop that was running hot.  Added a cooling pad and it helped just a little.  Switched the OS to Linus and the problem went away.

Simply reinstalling the OS is what stopped the overheating. Same thing would have happened had you reinstalled Windows.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Very informative, thanks!  So is it possible to take an otherwise very good laptop like this dead HP I have and put some new guts in it and get a functioning updated machine?

If so anyone doing this locally or in GDL?  Is it cost effective?

Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to examine it, and probably disassemble it to see what's what. I have excellent resources in Guadalajara that I turn to for in-depth laptop repairs when needed. Recently have fixed overheating from a broken fan that was also stuffed with dust and dog hairs, a bad Linux notepad keyboard that had liquid spilled onto it (check with Camilla at Mom's), a video chip fix when the screen would not come on, and also had one where only replacing the whole motherboard, RAM and CPU would have fixed it, which would not have been cost effective.

11 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Simply reinstalling the OS is what stopped the overheating. Same thing would have happened had you reinstalled Windows.

Actually, I did a clean install of W7 and it didn't help much, so I pulled it apart, put in a new fan and redid the transfer paste.  It was still running on the high side and noisy.

It's an HP, one of the thinner ones and really packed together.

There's several blogs about the problem and I tried any fix that I could find with no success.  It was just noisy. Streaming video, it just ran hot.

I added Linus Mint as a dual boot just playing and the heat problem went away.

I can stream the same program in Linus and W7 and see the heat difference.  Linux just runs with less overhead and CPU usage.

20 hours ago, bajandy said:

Using Wine is iffy, it has too many problems.  The beauty of Virtual Box is that I can try and install any operating system within it without any bleedthrough to the base Linux (Mint17) and the lag is almost non existent.  Presently I have Win XP, Win7 and several versions of Linux available. To wipe something I am tired of I just hit the delete tab in VBox.  If I want to try something cute and new I drop it into VBox and play with it.  Yes, VBox runs Phototshop.

Since the base system is Linux I am not concerned about viruses or dealing with Microsoft.  I do not run any antivirus or firewall.  It just keeps chugging away.  

I look with dismay at the collection of CD's and helpers I have I have acquired through the years while in the Windows world.  Linux has all the utilities and goodies I will ever need as a freebie with automatic installation.  I have not visited the software bootlegger in years.  Another virtue is that Linux, especially the junior versions such as Puppy Linux, will most likely work in ancient hardware.  My 2003 laptop chugs nicely on Linux and I am sure I could pop VBox in it and do great things.

Another virtue having a Linux disc on hand is trouble shooting.  Most versions have a try before install feature.  If I boot on Linux disc and everything plays I know the hardware is OK and the problem is software.

I have a profound hatred of Microsoft.  It irks me that they have been able to continue a con and offloading junk on the public for years.  Their arrogance appalls me.

A major caveat with Linux is that some computers do not want to run WIFI.  However it is getting better and the Linux forums can steer you to the right WIFI stick.  Running a Linux disc without installation will determine if WIFI will work.  Another area to check when buying a printer is to see if it has Linux drivers.

In general it took a bit of effort to leave the Windows world.  I have no regrets and a lot of sympathy to the poor folks still stuck in it.

By far and away, the best advice given in this thread.

I concur on every point based on my personal, hands on experience!

23 hours ago, bajandy said:

As much as I am impressed with your advice here and as much as I am impressed with Virtual Machine, I am guessing installing WIN7 inside of a virtual partition would not solve problems the OP has with WIN7 as the OP still is running WIN7 just isolated inside of a virtual partition.

1 hour ago, BCdoug said:

As much as I am impressed with your advice here and as much as I am impressed with Virtual Machine, I am guessing installing WIN7 inside of a virtual partition would not solve problems the OP has with WIN7 as the OP still is running WIN7 just isolated inside of a virtual partition.

The solution is to turn off Windows updates in the VBox Win 7 machine.  The Linux external layer provides excellent security protection and in general the casual user has little use for the updates which are oriented to corporate and network users.  In fact I have not used Win7 updates in raw installations for years with no problem.  I strongly suspect Microsoft is playing games and making crappy Win7 updates just to encourage users to upgrade to Win10.  

I use an old Win7 SP1 disk as my source and have yet to see any improvement in performance compared to full blown updated versions.  There is nothing holy about using the updates for 99% of casual users.  It is also quite easy to copy the win7  VM .vdi file to another part of the disk as a backup.

10 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

I can stream the same program in Linus and W7 and see the heat difference.  Linux just runs with less overhead and CPU usage.

That may well be, but that will never matter to the bazillions of people who use Windows who don't have overheating problems.

Certainly, one has to take to task the manufacturer's who sell under-powered laptops. For years, these "netbook" thingies used the same basic chip that cell phones used, and it is ludicrous to imagine that a full-blown computer with a 10" screen can operate Windows properly on that type of CPU. But they got away with it forever.

2 hours ago, bajandy said:

...In fact I have not used Win7 updates in raw installations for years with no problem. ... I use an old Win7 SP1 disk as my source and have yet to see any improvement in performance compared to full blown updated versions.  There is nothing holy about using the updates for 99% of casual users...

Spot on.

2 hours ago, bajandy said:

The solution is to turn off Windows updates in the VBox Win 7 machine.  The Linux external layer provides excellent security protection and in general the casual user has little use for the updates which are oriented to corporate and network users.  In fact I have not used Win7 updates in raw installations for years with no problem. 

So I guess you are saying I can run WIN7 programs on WIN7-SP1 inside a Virtual partition and get the best of both worlds

- able to run programs that require WIN7 in a proper WIN7 environment

- feel totally safe from WIN7 security attacks because I am inside of a Linux OS which will protect me, no need to even run anti virus software inside of WIN7

this sounds like a winner to me

am i understanding this correctly ?

From my reading it sounds like Virtual partition on Linux is a bit tricky, finding Linux drivers, turning on drivers for sound, etc. 

4 hours ago, BCdoug said:

So I guess you are saying I can run WIN7 programs on WIN7-SP1 inside a Virtual partition and get the best of both worlds

- feel totally safe from WIN7 security attacks because I am inside of a Linux OS which will protect me, no need to even run anti virus software inside of WIN7

From my reading it sounds like Virtual partition on Linux is a bit tricky, finding Linux drivers, turning on drivers for sound, etc. 

It's not that bad.

VBox asks how much RAM and disk you want to allocate and sets it up on Linux automatically.  It sets up a VBox menu, you insert the Win7 disk and load up. You need to do the Win7 validation or steal a crack. Change network tab to Bridge adaptor.  Whatever worked from Linux will work from Win.  You have to load VBox extensions, usually a part of the VBox software to get USB.

If you can get the Linux running, the Win7 will run without other drivers etc.  I do run an antivirus in Win to be safer.  Your basic Linux setup is isolated from Windows acquired viruses, there is a laborious vector if you share folders between Linux and Win but it's so complicated I ignore it.

I do banking etc. out of Linux and confine the Win to apps that will not run on Linux.  So if my Win gets hacked, no big deal, nothing there.  It's not that mysterious, VBox changes Win I/O calls to Linux equivalent.

Get Linux running first.  Then worry about VBox.  PM me if I can help.  I really like Mint with the Mate desktop.  Ubuntu has gotten too cute with hidden menus etc. and the Linux versions that promise a Windows experience have so much eye candy I get screwed up.

Another good thing Mate has is a speed monitor that helps me keep tabs on Telmex activity.

5 hours ago, BCdoug said:

Doorbell interrupted my last post.  There's a 90% probability Mint will run everything right off the disk.  Linux has come a long way with drivers etc.  On my desktop I get ethernet Internet right away off the disk, same with sound and video.  WIFI and printer might need a finagle but what the hell, we are retired.  Cut Linux disk, reset BIOS to boot from CD and let her rip.  There is an option to run Linux from CD without installing so nothing gets screwed up on the present computer setup.  Buena suerte.

Archived