Chapala.com Webboard

can I make calls in the US with my Mexican SIM card

twelveoaks

5 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

I have a Motorola smart phone with a pre paid Telcel SIM card. Can I use this phone in the U.S. and or Canada or must I buy Sim Cards for the US and Canada ?

Don't  know how this ended up in La Cocina. Perhaps the Moderatorwill move it for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Mostlylost said:

If you pay for the $150 sin fronteras pre-pay it will be unlimited in Mexico-USA-Canada for 25 days. 

I had this Telcel pre-pay plan last time I was in the US and yes I could call Mexico and my wife could call me from home in Mexico unlimited for 21 days BUT I could not call any of my friends in the US. When I wanted to get in touch with them I had to use my friends´ where I was staying cell phones and they had to call these cell phones to get in touch with me.

Sin frontera is part of my plan - extra 50 pesos/month, and I use Telcel successfully in the US to call US phones. I dial only the 10 digit area code+number just like using a US cell phone - it uses the TMobile system. To call another Telcel phone that is in the US however, I have to dial 011+52+1 etc.

I have Telcel with the Amigo Plan (I can pay up to 60 days in advance and carry my old balance forward when I pay more) It is not the most economical plan, but I can call any number in the US that I want when I am in the US. It is just rather expensive. Telcel has better plans when traveling to the US.

9 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

I had this Telcel pre-pay plan last time I was in the US and yes I could call Mexico and my wife could call me from home in Mexico unlimited for 21 days BUT I could not call any of my friends in the US. When I wanted to get in touch with them I had to use my friends´ where I was staying cell phones and they had to call these cell phones to get in touch with me.

Your plan does make calls in the USA. Just returned from 3 weeks in USA and it worked perfectly. Made many calls.  Remember somtimes it is necessary to turnoff the cellular and re initiate the connection to  grab the network

13 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Your plan does make calls in the USA. Just returned from 3 weeks in USA and it worked perfectly. Made many calls.  Remember somtimes it is necessary to turnoff the cellular and re initiate the connection to  grab the network

It's not working for me:(.

Could you please list the format of the numbers required to use a Telcel phone on the 100p 21 day plan making calls from the US to a MX on a Telcel phone here, i.e +1-052-333-444-5555 or whatever it should be?  As well as making calls on the Telcel phone on the 100p 21 day plan to the US cell phones while in the US?          

TIA

1 hour ago, Alpha1 said:

It's not working for me:(.

Could you please list the format of the numbers required to use a Telcel phone on the 100p 21 day plan making calls from the US to a MX on a Telcel phone here, i.e +1-052-333-444-5555 or whatever it should be?  As well as making calls on the Telcel phone on the 100p 21 day plan to the US cell phones while in the US?          

TIA

Same thing happend to me I do not have a Telcel plan and use OXXO recharges and when I went to the Telcel office they told me with a $100.00 peso recharge or over I call this number they gave me to get 21 days of unlimited international calls while in the US. I understand if you have the less expensive $199.00 peso Telcel plan you can adde $50.00 pesos to it and get international unlimited calls and can call US numbers while in the US.

15 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

"Can I use the Telcel Unlimited* International Plan to make calls from any state in the U.S.?

Yes.
1. You can use the Telcel Unlimited** International Plan to call from any state. Dial the access number 1-415-655-0992 or 443-453-0031, if you have a Home Phone.
2. When prompted, enter the 0 1 1 + the country code + city code and the destination number, followed by the # key. For example: 0 1 1 + 5 2 + 7 4 4 + 6 5 8 4 7 5 4 + #.
3. Talk and enjoy the Telcel Unlimited** International Plan!
4. For added convenience, store your access number in your Telcel phone's speed dial.
App for direct calling:Call your destination number directly and forget about dialing access numbers! You can download our free app Telcel Direct, available at Google Play or iTunes. It offers you a simple and easy way to make international calls."

http://us.telcel.com/controller.block?__blockname=telcel.faq.category.landing&category=intercall

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, AlanMexicali said:

Do you have a Telcel plan or do you have the Amigo pay as you go?

1 hour ago, Alpha1 said:

Simply have the  Telcel phone on the 100p 21 day plan ( Telcel Amigo Sin Límite ).

1 hour ago, El Saltos said:

In the USA when calling any phone simply enter the 10 digit number.  Calling to Mexico from the USA enter 011-52-+ the 10 digit number.  When calling to a cell phone you must add 1 after the 52.

I understand calling on my Telcel phone by dialing  011-52-+ the 10 digit number and that worked fine,  I was trying to get unlimited international long distance by first dialing a Telcel number 58-58-***  that they told me dial just once for activation of the 21 days while out of Mexico which it did but only worked when calling Mexico or my wife calling me in the US unlimited. I coudn´t get the phone to call US numbers unlimited for the 21 days was the problem.

When I was riding up north last Fall on my moto, my TelCel phone defaulted to T Mobile and I was able to dial U.S. numbers like it was a U.S. cell phone.  Wasn't cheap but very convenient.

Didn't try to dial back to Mexico as I had other alternatives.

TelCell is a screaming bargain compared to what we used to pay for Verizon service back in the U.S.

• Like 1

I'm reviewing the documentation for TelCel's Amigo Sin Limite plans. https://www.mitelcel.com/mitelcel/micuenta/esquema-cobro

Nowhere  do I see notations that say calling USA or Canada, from within USA or Canada, is covered under the basic OR the Pr Segundo plans. The top plan,Amigo Óptimo Plús Sin Frontera, I assume is the only plan that allows you to do so. But it is very hard to say from the description of any of them.

Now, I currently have the Sin Limite plan, for which I pay $200p, which gets me unlimited calls here, of course, for 28 days. I believe I'm going to have to go to a TelCel shop and ask them, cause I'm taking a trip up to Ottawa in a couple of days. NOTE that this is not the TelCel Amigos plan, no sir, because it is the one that includes WhatsApp, FaceBook, and some data.

RV flat out stated how to dial, but I don't know to which plan he might have been referring. When I was up in Texas last year, on the same "plan" I have now, I would get a Spanish operator whenever I tried to make local calls OR calls to Mexico.

• 8 months later...

I have been looking everywhere and even tried to communicate with Telcel but could not get anyone that spoke English.  I have an Amigo Sin Limite 200 peso plan and can call everyone in Canada but would like to know how to dial a Mexican cell phone number.  I have tried every combination of numbers possible.  +52 then the number, 001 52 then the number etc with no success so far.  Does anyone know how to phone a Mexican cell phone from Canada with this plan.  By the way, I just went on line and set up my account and paid for another  32 days on my Amigo Sin Limite plan and it works fine in Canada.

Edited by Zippy

For anyone in Canada that gets an Amigo Sin Limite plan in Mexico for either 100 or 200 pesos, you can set up an account with them on line and use this plan to phone anyone from Canada to anyone in Mexico, USA or Canada.  When you want to phone a Mexican cell phone just dial (+ 52 1 and the 10 digit Mexican phone number.  I am going to test this out over the next month and if it works out, I will drop my present Canadian plan. You can't beat $6.90/month Canadian price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...