Chapala.com Webboard

Internet speeds in Villa Nova

ga356

Until the most recent rainstorm I was getting between 5 - 6 mB download speeds, but for the past 2 days it has been well under 1 mB.  Anybody else experiencing this? 

Not being in Villa Nova, I can't comment directly, but I have not had any calls lately about speed problems. I do have one person there who has been without for a week or so. And of course the rainy season is the worst time of year for TelMex Internet... so much so, that for the past several years they have set up a desk by the front door of the office in Ajijic just for people trading in their modems.

Do try a factory reset on your modem (hold a paperclip into the pinhole on the back until all the modem lights flash off and on).

CG - Tried that  couple of times yesterday then again just now, got all the way up(!) to 1.12 with the modem lights for LAN and internet flashing intermittently.  BTW, the last time I took a modem to the office to trade it in, I was told that I had to call TelMex in Mexico City to get an order number to take to the Ajijic office. 

Thanks for the advice anyway.  I guess I'll be visiting the office again tomorrow.

Doing a reset is just a smart first step; if it doesn't help, then for sure other things are at play. I would talk to Mexico City before going to see the boffins at our local office (01-800-123-222; ask for English).

Since January, the local office has been refusing to exchange modems; but every rainy season for the past five years they have set up that desk. I don't know if they will continue to do so, and I don't know if it is "official policy" to refuse exchanges the rest of the time, or just something they made up to get out of work, or to avoid some kind of number crunching... .

If anyone goes, please report to us whether or not the policy has changed, and/or is that desk now set up, since it appears to be the actual rainy now.

We are in the village below Villa Nova and we get 1./ when we are lucky. I went to telmex and they told me that the max they could guaranty for homes was 2mMb/s no matter which plan I was taking. They tell me the equipment is in San Antonio and people far away from the equipment cannot expect much. 

Is that correct  what are people getting around Rio Zula/ Rio Bravo?

I have Telecable 8 Mbs plan here in Villa Nova.  Lately, my speeds have been fluctuating - with lows hitting 2-4 Mbs over the past weekend.  This Monday and Tuesday I've had 8+ in the mornings, sometimes dropping to around 6 in the evenings.  Not sure what causes this fluctuation, but service is a heck of a lot better than I even had with TelMex.  (Uploads are consistent at 1.8 MbS)

Cable Internet, unlike TelMex DSL Internet, is 'impacted' by how many people are on your 'branch' and the speeds drop when a lot of people are using. People generally are very active in the evening and maybe on the weekends streaming movies and the like.

Archived