Chapala.com Webboard

Translation Assistance

I would like to recommend the services of a fourth year (upcoming) Medical School student who would like to make some money over the summer break. He is an outstanding student who speaks excellent English so is very easy to understand. His name is Alex Ortiz and his cell number is 333-597-5369.    He lives in Riberas and does not have a car , but will accompany you if you wish to appointments, if you provide the transportation.  If you need any help communicating with Spanish speakers, in any capacity,  please keep him in mind . You will get a good translator and at the same time help him put himself through university. He could also come to you by bus if you are in the Lakeside area. His rate will be 150 pesos per hour, from the time he leaves home until he returns home.  This is a really nice young man.

I honestly wish him a lot of business.

But .... when still doing my employment project, during those 5 years I learnt the following.  When I sent out a translator for 100 pesos an hour, he/she never got a lot of work,...

Clients told me for ex. that an IMSS hospital visit (with this translator) would end up costing them more than seeing a more expensive private doctor.

Call them cheap or not, the market will decide in the end.

Having said that,..... there still is a high demand for translators here for all kinds of services,.... but most people are not willing to pay that much, and one way or another, they seem to manage without the translator.

On the other hand,..... enough of translators outthere, but not overly busy.... because they are not willing to adapt their prices to the local market.

At 150 pesos an hour,....  an IMSS hospital visit could cost you ,+ 1000 pesos + transport and other.  A lengthy ministerio publico visit could cost about the same.  Remember,.... time is against you, here.

I know that even the most qualified teachers dont make that kind of money here. No way.

My goal of this post is to share my experience about all kinds of workers here and to see more people working, when using market conform prices.  If he would drop his price by half, he would end up with more money and business in the end...... and people wouldnt bother me by asking me to be their translator.

A good translator, who charges a fair price, would make a very decent living here.  Lots of work here : for checking out rentals, going to utilities companies, making telephone calls, seeing a local doctor (but not if the translator ends up making more money than the doctor), etc ....

Having had a restaurant here, .... I know that high prices dont work here, not in the restaurant business, nor in any other.  A lot of people moved here exactly because of the low cost of living.

But again, good luck to your friend. He might still get a few good clients.

Rony

You make the leap that he would have 8 consecutive hours of work a day. Prob an hour or two here and there. Do you think he could translate a Spanish owners manual into English?

I wouldn't think that he would be doing any 8 hour days for anyone. An hour or two here or there when they need some help would be more likely. Anything that took that long I'm sure he would give a better price for. I have seen bilingual people advertise similar help here in town for 200p an hour and get people who are very interested, even for things like helping them learn how to use their cell phone. I agree that almost no one would want to pay 1200p for a whole day. In a case like that I bet he would do it for half that and be happy to do so. I don't know if his written skills would be as good as his verbal skills for translating a manual but if perfection wasn't required I bet he could do it. I think his help at medical appointments would be good since he is familiar with the medical terminology. He is just in need of some work over the summer, not a full time job because school starts again in August, so I suggested that he could maybe find a bit of work with his English skills. If anyone has a job that takes all day like a hospital visit, please make him an offer and he can decide for himself. I'm sure he would be reasonable about it. If he could do a small job and make 300p in a day it would really help him out.

I agree that this guy's medical knowledge would be a real bonus. A friend who has serious medical issues found that people who are fluently bilingual can get totally lost when the medical terms start flying around. 

It does not matter if you do not do 8 hours a day , you are quoting a per hour rate so do the math.  I think people at Lakeside have no much clue for what Mexicans in other towns make..I agree with Ronni about the rates, If you go and see a doctor in Guadalajara you are good for 4 hours plus expenses plus the doctors fee which is about 600 pesos to 800 pesos  and that is  stiff.-

But then if you pay you set the market.Thank God we do not need any translator when we see doctors ..Medical terms are right out of Latin and are pretty similar to medical terms in  English and French .

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

Gimpy,

Ask him if he can translate a user's manual. Exactness is required.

No, it would not be exact.  For that you can contact Natasha on this board, who is a government certified translator and could deal more specifically with the nuances of both languages.

I've just given Alex a  two page CT scan report and he'll have it ready tomorrow for me.   Also, I gave Alex a part of my new microwave booklet to translate.   

He's a delightful young man and well worth supporting if you have anything you want to be translated.  

Both translations were ready Thursday night.   Now I have a medical report that I can understand.   Also, I have the relevant pages of my microwave manual translated.   Alex did a great job and I would highly recommend him for your translation needs.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:21 PM, bmh said:

It does not matter if you do not do 8 hours a day , you are quoting a per hour rate so do the math.  I think people at Lakeside have no much clue for what Mexicans in other towns make..I agree with Ronni about the rates, If you go and see a doctor in Guadalajara you are good for 4 hours plus expenses plus the doctors fee which is about 600 pesos to 800 pesos  and that is  stiff.-

But then if you pay you set the market.Thank God we do not need any translator when we see doctors ..Medical terms are right out of Latin and are pretty similar to medical terms in  English and French .

I agree that it is too expensive.

Archived