Chapala.com Webboard

The Peacock Garden

ComputerGuy

This place on Colon just down from the bank on the corner... haven't been for years. Used to go for lunch now and then; great sandwiches. But went for supper on Saturday. Amazingly large and well-kept gardens, and of course roosters and peacocks/hens running around and showing off. Not too many people at 7:30pm, but a few tables. Our service was very, very good.

Had the sopa Azteca, which is among the best I've had in Mexico, presented with the fixings on the side, which was nice. 45p. Main course was a fish filet stuffed with seafood: some shrimp, some octopus, etc. At $150, it was well worth it. When asked if, as the menu said, it was really "sea bass", he obviously had been asked before and said no, bassa. Well, if that was bassa, I'' be eating it more often... it was easily twice as thick as any catfish or bagre I've had around here. My partner, who has a thing about catfish, said it did not taste like it at all. It was a very large portion, also battered and fried, with a really nice coating. Served with openers of totopas and pico, and a side of rice with a small salad and properly-cooked veg (even the zuccini, which I generally don't go for, was tasty), I was stuffed. And it takes a bit to get me full. $150p. Agua frescas were large and delicious, but not cheap at 32p. Partner's dish was chicken with roquerfort sauce: the chicken was sliced thin, which is usually not good, but it was grilled very nicely and tasted that way, with a nifty-looking foil baked potato that tasted like, well, a Mexican potato.

Rumour has it that an expat owns the space and just lets the restaurant use it.... what a valuable piece of land smack in the middle of town.

We loved Peacock Garden and regret we haven't been there for a long time. Besides good food and service, the grounds are beautiful and the gardeners are always at work keeping the place looking lovely. The exotic birds and peacocks are hilarious and in your face for handouts of crackers and chips (although I know that's not everybody's idea of fine dining). Getting a parking space nearby can be a problem, I recall.

Lexy

Because of ComputerGuys' review we tried this restaurant again.  I suppose it is what you order and what you like.  One of us had grilled fish which came with vegetables and salad ... what was received was a very small piece of fish that was still gelatin like, vegetables that were barely cooked and such a small salad of lettuce that it wasn't even two bites.  The fish went back for more cooking and came back just the same.  One of us had a shrimp cocktail.  The shrimp were good but it came in a glass goblet in hot tomato water with the warm shrimp and warm onions and a little avocado.  It was completely tasteless without the added salt and lots of lime juice that I asked for and added.  I ate the shrimp and what avocado there was but could not drink the tomato water.  Therefore, I ordered flan ... which was the best I have had here ... will go for the flan but probably nothing else at this point.  The service was the worst we have ever had anywhere and I nearly excused myself before ordering because the waiter was actually sniffing loudly and wetly the whole time he was take our order....gross.    

Our last visit there included a BBQ sandwich my wife ordered. When it came she said it was cold. I asked the waiter to send the manager over. I explained the problem and he promptly put his hand on the bun and said "It's not THAT cold"! Adios!!

19 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Our last visit there included a BBQ sandwich my wife ordered. When it came she said it was cold. I asked the waiter to send the manager over. I explained the problem and he promptly put his hand on the bun and said "It's not THAT cold"! Adios!!

Been there before new management and dishes were tasty. But then I think it switched hands. Because I have had similar experiences as pappymarket.   The latest was that the coconut shrimp and veggies were cold.   So that's it for me ...As pappy said Adios ! 

Archived