Chapala.com Webboard

Temp Resident Visa and Seguro Popular

I won't qualify for permanent visa based on the calculations set forth in the new law for 2017.  I will, however, qualify for temp under the different set of criteria. However, it has been suggested on another forum that those holding a temp card cannot apply for Seguro Popular. I suppose it makes sense if the influx of aging retirees is putting a strain on the system. Obviously, residency over a four-year span, but w/o a valid health insurance policy, would be out of the question.  I've spent considerable time researching the SESA sites for each potential destination, but this, too, may have been a waste of time. Does anyone have experience with this?

You may apply for Seguro Popular as a Temporary Resident. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/health-care.html

You will also see the visa requirements on my web site which has 17750 views in May.

Thanks, Sonia Diaz, for taking the time and trouble to respond to this issue. I will look to your site for additional help. Of course, the very idea raises the specter of other unforeseen problems that may arise "out of the blue".  I know this happens in Mexico, as I've lived and travelled many states, including working in DF, so you'll understand if "Tengo dudas."  I think I will stick with this forum.  I  stayed just outside Ajijic many years ago, long before Walmart.  I first rented a condo in Ribiera del Pilar, then a house.  Should have stayed in the nice condo -- house turned out to be a house for scorpions. 

My wife was accepted by SP on a temporal visa.  Apply at the hospital in Jocotepec.

For us, this is purely a last ditch emergency backup.  If you are a younger person, health insurance is available for you here and it is considerably cheaper than the U.S.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:43 PM, seoulguy said:

Thanks, Sonia Diaz, for taking the time and trouble to respond to this issue. I will look to your site for additional help. Of course, the very idea raises the specter of other unforeseen problems that may arise "out of the blue".  I know this happens in Mexico, as I've lived and travelled many states, including working in DF, so you'll understand if "Tengo dudas."  I think I will stick with this forum.  I  stayed just outside Ajijic many years ago, long before Walmart.  I first rented a condo in Ribiera del Pilar, then a house.  Should have stayed in the nice condo -- house turned out to be a house for scorpions. 

Can you please use black type , the blue sure is difficult to read

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

looking into this myself but heard the rules have changed. I would be getting temporal and also wondering if I could get my wife under it if she is only in on a tourist visa. I only spend 6 months in mexico, but travel medical is becoming exhorbiotant.  My marginal diabetes triples the cost and so does the fact my wife is consisdred a smoker even though she has been chewing nicotine gum for 10 years. The other alternative is not to bother, and have good medivac coverage