Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration Cards on hold

People have been waiting for over a month for their immigration cards.  During the wait they cannot buy or sell property, renew driver licenses, buy a vehicle, leave the country (some), sign up for IMSS or Seguro popular, bring their stored items from the border zone, among other things.

The good news is that the government will give you the long awaited cards at an event with the press and photographers.    No date set as of yet but looks like next Monday.  Wonder if the dignitaries will all be wearing their brown shirts. 

Regular work has stalled due to change in personnel we get same stories that never change and have complained in Guadalajara, hopefully they are working on it, they like to parade around foreigner receiving their new cards but dont know all the blood, sweat and tear that it took to get the due to faulty management and policies

15 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Regular work has stalled due to change in personnel we get same stories that never change and have complained in Guadalajara, hopefully they are working on it, they like to parade around foreigner receiving their new cards but dont know all the blood, sweat and tear that it took to get the due to faulty management and policies

Spencer, do you know if they are having the same problems with Inapam cards as well?  And what's the best way to get one?

We have been waiting for a call for fingerprints to be done for our Permanent Resident visas. It has only been about 3 weeks. I expect the process to get our visas to take about 2 months. If it takes longer than that, I need to return to California for a week or so. Can that be done and can you help with getting the proper permission to do so prior to having our visas issued? Thanks.

Inapam is another office.  As long as you arent doing a regularization you can get a travel letter good to be gone for up to 60 days

6 hours ago, Lost Dog said:

We have been waiting for a call for fingerprints to be done for our Permanent Resident visas. It has only been about 3 weeks. I expect the process to get our visas to take about 2 months. If it takes longer than that, I need to return to California for a week or so. Can that be done and can you help with getting the proper permission to do so prior to having our visas issued? Thanks.

Fifth week in SMA. Going Friday for prints.  Extended our stay today. Just a slow season I guess? Fortunately we can extend the stay without much hassle. 

13 hours ago, Intercasa said:

As long as you arent doing a regularization you can get a travel letter good to be gone for up to 60 days

On the travel letter: I read somewhere that you can only get a travel letter AFTER you've had the fingerprints part done on pending RP.  Is that true??

25 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

On the travel letter: I read somewhere that you can only get a travel letter AFTER you've had the fingerprints part done on pending RP.  Is that true??

You can apply for a travel letter when approved ie when email is sent from INM. In SMA I wait 4 to 5 business days after that email to do finger prints or files is not ready for doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

There's an absurd article on this topic in today's "Guadalajara Reporter" (front page) in which Dale Hoyt Palfrey, rather than talking to expats about theirs experiences (which would require an interest in actual investigative reporting) just recites blatant propaganda from INM officials saying that there are no problems with waits (an "alternative fact" for the ages!) and dissing the use of facilitators when without their help one might never get a visa (and certainly wouldn't get a straight answer to one's questions). 

At least she acknowledges Spencer's long-standing efforts to correct this sorry state of affairs but had she bothered to speak to any number of expats waiting for their visas she'd have learned that 8-12 week+ waits are now the rule rather than the exception - during what is supposed to be the slowest time of the year for applications!

Holding on to completed residency visas for a ridiculous "welcome" ceremony is truly insult on top of injury, but unfortunate friends who went to the latest one on June 5th said that INM somehow managed to top themselves by holding the ceremony in a tent halfway to Jocotepec, in the heat of day, with not so much as a glass of water to be had.

I'm still very grateful for my residency visa but there is a LOT of room for improvement and, sadly, this kind of bureaucratic nightmare is probably going to lead to a lot of folks who would like to become permanent residents deciding to just come down on 180 day tourist visas indefinitely instead. Much gratitude to Spencer and his staff for trying to set things straight. 

Not defending the stupid PR stunt ceremonies and the delays they cause, but if it's important for you to avoid, you could always apply for and have your visa processed in Guadalajara. Less convenient, yes, but a doable workaround.

We've been told that you must apply to the nearest INM office to your residence; that Guadalajara office will tell Chapala residents to go to Chapala INM.

At the start of this year, Chapala INM had been turning out RPs and RTs in 30 days, start to finish.  Not true now.  

We are past Week 7 since turning in our canje to INM.  Not even a callback for fingerprints. 

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We've been told that you must apply to the nearest INM office to your residence; that Guadalajara office will tell Chapala residents to go to Chapala INM.

At the start of this year, Chapala INM had been turning out RPs and RTs in 30 days, start to finish.  Not true now.  

We are past Week 7 since turning in our canje to INM.  Not even a callback for fingerprints. 

We are in the same boat. No fingerprint call. Frustrating but confident that Spencer's office is doing its best under the circumstances. Just  have to wait it out.

19 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I guess it's changed since I did it. When I got my Residente Permanente visa several years ago, the Chapala office was experiencing some other variety of incompetent paralysis, can't remember what was causing the grief. So I went straight to Guadalajara and had no problems.

22 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

At the start of this year, Chapala INM had been turning out RPs and RTs in 30 days, start to finish.

Beg to differ, but I applied for RP December of last year and did not get the card until April.

Sorry for your long wait, Mac.  I based what I wrote on this post from Spencer on April 1st, and my recent conversations with him:

Posted April 1 · By Intercasa

Times vary and circumstances vary, some people enter and immigration checks them in wrong causing delays, others get a fast person working on their file, others get a slow person.  We quote 4 to 8 weeks turn time, here are some actual stats for canjes

Client        Turned in          Fingerprints    Card

HM          2/27/2017           03/23/2017   just in

YM          02/16/2017       03/21/2017      03/23/2017

PF          02/03/2017         02/27/2017     03/21/2017

JQ         01/18/2017         02/24/2017       03/21/2017

KP          01/17/2017         02/14/2017     02/24/2017

Also some people have busy schedules and travel and lag a few days or weeks for fingerprints and getting cards, others come same day we tell them or next day.

Archived