Chapala.com Webboard

GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE NOISE

ezpz

A neighbor told me a couple of days ago that there were multiple bar and business closings in Guadalajara last week due to violations of the Federal noise ordinance.  Another Mexican friend forwarded me information on a group based in Guadalajara called cruzadacontraruido - crusade against noise.  I was not yet aware of this movement and was very happy to hear this news.  :D

If you go to news.google.com and search ruido guadalajara you can see several articles regarding this matter.  I imagine the GR will have this news in the next issue.

There is also this:

https://m.facebook.com/CruzadaContraElRuido/?_rdr

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, betty7 said:

there have always been stricter laws in guad. they can use explosives only 4 days a year, special holidays.

No, there are Federal Laws as noted in the original post.

http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle_popup.php?codigo=5324105

3 hours ago, Sonia said:

betty7 said:

Congratulations!  Your question has been answered.

Yep, Chapala is the "playground" for Guadalajara. Anything goes here. Rarely are Federal Laws enforced. And, extranjeros complaining are like flies in the kitchen: a nuisance, but nothing of a real concern in Mexico.

13 hours ago, Hud said:

And, extranjeros complaining are like flies in the kitchen: a nuisance, but nothing of a real concern in Mexico.

Maybe you missed the part in my post about the cruzadacontraruido.  That is Spanish for Crusade Against Noise.  This is not a gringo issue.  There are LOTS of Mexicans united against the noise including my neighbors here in Ajijic, I first heard about this from Mexicans.  We are all completely sick of the noise, which now continues from Plaza Bugambilia, although there have been other improvements in the overall situation all due to lots of complaints.  Complaining is how you get things done around here.  You just have to wear them down until they relent - or the offenders go out of business...

So far, the media coverage is all in Spanish.  Some of the gringos here really need to get up to speed on this issue before making dumb comments.  Clearly you have no first hand experience with the tortuous decibel onslaught that has been the norm here for the last several years, much less discussing it with Mexicans..

Sonia, TX for posting the link; I didn't post it again because I thought that it wasn't necessary because it was recently posted on another thread.

14 hours ago, Hud said:

Yep, Chapala is the "playground" for Guadalajara. Anything goes here. Rarely are Federal Laws enforced. And, extranjeros complaining are like flies in the kitchen: a nuisance, but nothing of a real concern in Mexico.

Oh it's a real concern in some parts of Mexico.  However it is probably unrealistic to think that a municipio that can't pick up the trash reliably or keep even the main streets clean and repaired, and whose system of building and use permits operates on the "pay for play" system is going to concern itself with defending the local environment against noise pollution.

Or anything else bad for our neighborhoods for that matter.

Probably just as accurate to say that Chapala is the "payground" for GDL promoters and people who know they can come here on the weekends and get away with all sorts of stuff they can't do at home.

It can be.  I try to avoid going to work out when something is going on in there.  It is usually but not always in the morning or late afternoon.

I have to give them credit, the gym part of that operation is really well done.  Recently they added a bunch of ceiling fans.  The equipment, particularly for free weights and aerobics is far and away the best available in this area.

Those movie theaters can kick out some pretty big sound which tends to reverberate around the gym.  Plaza B is just one noisy place these days.

I sure wouldn't want to be living very near to either.  On top of that, if you are that close there's the carretera noise as well.

2 hours ago, ezpz said:

Maybe you missed the part in my post about the cruzadacontraruido.  

Actually, I did not. I was saying that there have been complaints from extranjeros on this Board for YEARS about the noise at Lakeside, to no avail.  It is similar to being a fly in a Mexican kitchen. The flies are a nuisance, but the Mexicans do not consider them of any real consequence. I was speaking ONLY of Lakeside.

There is now a company selling really nice mobile stages so anybody can set up a Fiesta anywhere at any time -- in any vacant field, at the end of any street, in any park, in any neighborhood!

Regardless of anybody's opinion on noise, you gotta admit, this is a very well done portable stage.

On May 29, 2017 at 0:09 PM, Hud said:

Actually, I did not. I was saying that there have been complaints from extranjeros on this Board for YEARS about the noise at Lakeside, to no avail.  It is similar to being a fly in a Mexican kitchen. The flies are a nuisance, but the Mexicans do not consider them of any real consequence. I was speaking ONLY of Lakeside.

Yes, we expected to experience even more noise in PV when we moved down here from Ajijic. Not even close. Cohetes  maybe a couple of times a year and in general much quieter. It seems to just not be tolerated here. The only exceptions would be a local fiesta once in a while with horrible Banda music but hey, if that's the worst we can handle it. Even the feast of the Patrona, Guadeloupe, is much more subdued than the Ajijic festival. I have no illusions our local government is any more "honest" but they or someone seems to keep things on the path to please both the locals and large number of tourists we get. I fear when the new road opens we will be seeing many of the same Tapatios who like to invade Lakeside on weekends and raise hell. If it really is "the boys" who control things here we may see a spike in the body count.

when they built 24 hr all night liquor stores thats when the trouble started. fast food & parking lots bring a bad element. there are people who park their pickup trucks eat pizza & blast their speakers. the lot is the hang out. they leave garbage. nothing new, been going on for years. there will be more plaza B's. classy place. who ever thinks this is a 'magic pueblo" is delusional.

On 5/29/2017 at 0:09 PM, Hud said:

A Mexican friend once said to a foreigner who complained about noise:"Don't listen"

Newsflash:  There HAS been progress in the Ajijic noise situation due to the continuous complaints of the (Mexican!!) neighbors as well as neighbors who have a good connection with Chapala.  Why do you think Plaza B. got rid of the upstairs bar and created the gym instead, although that did not exactly solve the problem, although it could have if they knew what they were doing regarding the use of amplified music.  Why do you think El Barco put covering over their open spaces and started hiring better and less loud musicians?  Kudos to them for Doing The Right Thing.  BTW the sometimes outrageously loud open air 3rd Floor Bar was moved to a 2nd story location in Plaza B right under the exercise rooms.  :lol:  They seem to have gone out of business recently.  Sad.

Also, the Lienzo Charro stopped booking "outside" famous bandas because the noise from 1.5 years ago was so super loud across half the town.  They don't even want that.  My maid, who lives 3 blocks from there told me of her headaches and backaches from loss of sleep during that fiesta period where there were 3 Lienzo concerts in addition to the concurrent Fiesta de San Andres.  Talk about overkill!!  And she loves the bandas.  The problem is the famous bandas do bring in huge equipment which they have not learned to turn down when playing in a much smaller venue.  This is simply a matter of technological ignorance of amplified sound equipment.  The Lienzo now features only the local bandas who play fewer hours, sometimes with no amplification except for the singers, as it should be.  Brass bands are already naturally loud.

Everything that happens here is hardly broadcasted on this webboard, although there should be threads going back to almost 7 years ago regarding the noise.

1. The upstairs is being built into a single apartment.

2. ezpz, show me how you came to believe they actually stopped the upstairs bar to convert it to a gym and then reintroduce the bar. Sorry, that gym was built to be a business, period.

3. The idea that bands do not have enough tecnical savyy to turn down sound, but do have enough tech savvy to buy this equipment in the first place, is so far-fetched that there are no words to describe it.

have seen toddlers hold their ears w/their hands when the mothers take them to the excercise classes. the teachers take them to class in their strollers, put them near the amps. ignornant. also children in the street do the same when big trucks no mufflers pass. hard to believe mexicans dont have the intelligence to know how to turn volume down. after all they text use computers & smart phones. they just like it loud. maybe when they are older they will be deaf & have to turn it louder.

There are innumerable articles and laments NOB about how young people are destroying their hearing with over amplification.  This is hardly unique to Mexico.  The difference is that the noise is usually confined indoors up there as opposed to being imposed on the willing and unwilling alike here because of open air venues including "restaurants" with few or no walls.

If you take the time to listen to this largely unmusical crap that passes for melody these days you will notice an awful lot of it is synthesized and accompanied by "musicians" who can't carry a tune in a bucket and whose main talent seems to be playing the same passages over and over again while pounding on a drum with the same cadence and either chanting or just shrieking.

Not surprised so many of the adherents to this noise are largely deaf and brain dead. :D

Archived