Chapala.com Webboard

Costco gas station selling Kirland gasoline

bournemouth

On 6/6/2017 at 10:43 AM, tomgates said:

Just found out that it does have ethanol in it.

For the next year or so they will be buying their gas from Pemex. It will have no ethanol.  

There have been permits issued for the importation of gasoline, but they are not in effect yet. So Costco will be selling Pemex gasoline for the  near future. When and if they do import, I doubt that they will import an ethanol blend as there is no government subsidy like in the USA.  

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Back home, I couldn't buy CostCo gas without first having a CostCo card. You're saying they want even more money --much, much more than their annual membership fee-- to get their gas? That sounds just silly, and certainly not worth it. You'd have to buy a lot gas to make it pay.

That is what the Costco gas station is doing here in San Luis Potosí. First buy a Costco gas card to use the gas station. It doesn´t have anything to do with having a valid Costco membership card.

Some years I have a Mexican Costco other years I get a Mexican one. It depends went I go if the card is more than a year old. I wonder if I could use a US or Canadian Costco card at the Mexican Costco gas station. I know up north they  (gas station and store) have accepted my Mexican card.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

We have used our Mexican Costco card to buy Costco gas in the U.S. and get into the stores.

I will go to the new Costco gas station and ask them what the deal is to purchase gas there. I am sure our friends who reported needing a Costco  gas card have valid Costco membership cards.

" How do I get my Costco Gas Certificate?
You can obtain it at the Costco branch where they operate a Costco Gas Station, to obtain it you must be an active partner of Costco and you can recharge it in the Boxes area with a minimum of $ 50 M.N. And a maximum of $ 5,000 M.N. Per transaction.

How does the pump know that the customer is a Costco partner?
The Membership Membership is inserted, the system reads the number on the card and confirms that the membership is active. With this process the savings of 3% when paying your fuel is applied."

https://www.promodescuentos.com/ofertas/gasolina-costco-san-luis-potosi-3-de-descuento-directo-para-socios-2-de-cashback-al-final-del-ano-con-tdc-costco-103377

The Costco gas certificate card is like a Starbucks rewards card. You get it in the store and recharge it inside the store when you want and use it instead of cash  which you can´t use at the pumps. This seems to be what our friends did but didn´t explain it very well.

If all the new entrants to the retail gasoline market (Costco, Exxon) they will no doubt be importing US gas with the ethanol. I would still be inclined to use Pemex as it doesn't have ethanol, a proven gas mileage degrader and more wear on rubber components in the cars systems. Having them compete with Pemex will cause Pemex to match the lower prices.

Archived