Chapala.com Webboard

buying out of state vehicle

Buying a vehicle in Mexico. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

We bought a 2014 vehicle in Mexico City froma used car dealer with only 20,000 km and once you know the requirements it is very doable but be informed. There are some great buys on slightly used upscale vehicles that are half price in 2 years and no more than say a Honda CR-V. Remember Mexico City has tenencia along with refrendo that both need to be paid for the current year to register in another state. If they along with emissions are several years out of date more work and money.

And this is related which I just posted on my FB: Motorcycles, ATV that have never been registered.... if you buy any motorized vehicle that is over a year old in most states if not all, it means your vehicle first needs a physical inspection by state staff. Then on to Rentas for registration. If the vehicle has not been registered in the original state in which it was purchased, Rentas staff will usually try to contact the dealer from which the vehicle was originally purchased to confirm the factura is legit. If that dealer is no longer in business or can not be contacted you can not register the unit. Example, person buys a 2014 ATV in the state of Jalisco. It was never registered in Jalisco. In 2017 it is sold to a person in San Miguel de Allende, GTO state. Vehicle is physically inspected and then documents submitted to Rentas staff (registration office). The Rentas staff were unable to contact the dealer who sold it in the state of Jalisco. It is impossible to register the ATV in San Miguel with out confirmation from the original dealer saying the factura is legit. And, even if the dealer was contacted the buyer will pay the registration fees for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 in this case. Finally I contacted the dealer and this will be resolved but it took time.

In 2010 we bought a used Rav-4 from Roca Car in Guadalajara. The car had just come in on trade and was Colima plated. We took delivery of it several days later, with new Jalisco plates. 

That is because the dealers know how to expedite the change of state paperwork and inspections. I understand that it is not so easy for an individual, especially one not familiar with the process and the language, etc.

Buying in your home state is much easier, as everything can be done at the office of the recaudadora in just a few minutes; especially with both buyer and seller present.

Yes tax numbers now required.

42 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Yes tax numbers now required.

Great information Spencer for people at lakeside. For those who do not know Spencer can obtain your RFC without you leaving home. This stops tourists from registering a vehicle and one needs to be a TR or PR.

Thankfully, this is not the case in San Miguel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived