Chapala.com Webboard

Nastty Rats

Take 2 plastic sandwich zip lock bags, poke holes in the bags with ice pick, put about 3/4 cup mothballs in each bag and sit along both sides of the engine side wall in a gap that won't get hot.  You will smell the mothballs for a couple of days.  Check them every month or so as they evaporate.  I fold the top of the bags over and staple them in 3 places.  When you need to replenish the mothballs, just remove the staples and refill the bag, then re-staple again.  You can use the same bag over and over until they give out.   Toyota Mike told us this years ago when he found mice foot prints on our engine.  Never had another footprint for years since using the mothballs.  You can buy them at hardware stores by the kilo.  We use the hardware store east of Handy Mail and buy 1/2 kilo at a time.  Store them in a glass jar with twist on lid.  They will stay solid and not smell up your pantry, etc.  We had a friend that got a brand new car and went out of town.  When they returned a possum had set up a nest under the hood of the new car and chewed up the electrical harness.  Cost them a fortune.  Mothballs will keep the critters away.

Years ago when dealing with the same problem I coated all the wires with the hottest habanero sauce I could find..Seemed to work as they did not return.

Yeah but is there such a thing as one rat?  If one is around there must be oodles, no?  Where do you live?  Are the endemic to certain areas?   If you-all answer there are tons I'm off tomorrow to buy a manchester terrier or whatever can dispatch these things quickly, a snake or two,  as well as an air rifle.  Are they found more frequently in areas where garbage is left out or hilly terrain.

Archived