Chapala.com Webboard

Have You Noticed People in Trees??

My ciruelas won't be ripe for several weeks yet. My dogs can't wait as they go crazy for them. Birds often get to them first so those ones can't be sold. Once they are picked they don't seem to keep for very long so they aren't widely sold. I've seen them for sale along the highways. A delicious interesting flavour. As there is so little flesh on them it must take a lot of them to make an agua.

2 minutes ago, WideSky said:

The wild ciruelas I've seen aren't ripe yet; not even the birds are interested. Seen a lot of people picking the curly pods, but can't remember the name though

guamuchil. those that like them, love them. we've seen people from toddlers to ancianos poking at the trres to dislodge the pods. they're said to have antiparasite properties, but to me they taste like a across between oysters and garlic....also, some talk about using them as a fungicide on strawberries instead of chemicals...

No, not guamuchil.  Plums.  On some trees they are about 1/3 ripe on trees on our street.  Though the article I linked to says sometimes they are eaten green.  

This is what they look like, green and red:

Ciruela-3.jpg

Ciruela-2.jpg

Ciruela-4.jpg

These are guamuchil....in pods.  Definitely not what I am seeing being picked.  Have two of the plum trees on our block.  Maybe guamuchil are also ripe at same time but not the fruit I am referring to.  

106.jpg?a=1105278608073

Archived