Chapala.com Webboard

looking for reliable pool systems go to guy

Our pool motor is eating us alive... We are thinking of replacing it with a two speed... Having done my due diligence I know that variable speed pumps are more efficient but we have solar electric which keeps the cost down but the existing pump is generating 50% of our current bill.

I want someone to check out our system... I need recommendations on improvements and possible upgrades. Someone local would be ideal... Recommendations are appreciated...

How many hours per day do you run your pool motor and how many KW does your motor consume per hour? Maybe with this information, someone here can suggest a fix. I am not answering your question because my gardener and I take care of mine and he already works more than 45 hours per week.

Pete:  My amperage load is 14.5 which should be around 7-8... E Sun did the math and the motor is sucking up half of my usage... I run the pump 4 hrs a day... With a new pump I can run 8 hrs and for about 1/4 the cost I am currently paying... 

We have solar electric and like English Rose said... I am curious why some people have 46 pesos and I am running 500/ 2 mo.  as an average... Part of the problem is the pool pump...

Often the reason the bill is so high is because one runs the pump too long each day, which is not your problem. And if E Sun said that a new pump would be the answer, I would follow their advice. They really know their stuff.

Oh and the reason I pay only 46 pesos every two months, is because I ordered one or two panels more than was recommended. The important thing is to lower your usage to be under DAC by a safe amount. Not neccessarily all the way down to 23 pesos per month.

But it sure feels good to always pay the minimum amount each billing period

So you are paying about $13.50/mo. for electric. You can compute your payback time if you know what it will cost to reduce your consumption and how much lower your bill should be.

Pappysmarket: While the utility amount is small the fact that I have been close to the DAC I need to cut the pump usage... With a new unit I can circulate water longer and still save on energy

Shown below using May 2017 rates, here is how many KWH a Tariff 1 user would have to consume to be charged $500 pesos over a two month period

Using May 2017 rates the first 150 KWH over 2 months cost 138 pesos

Using May 2017 rates the next 130 KWH over 2 months cost 144pesos

The next KWHs are charged at $3.25 pesos per KWH when not in DAC

We are already at 288 pesos so me need 212 more pesos to reach 500

So 212//3.25=65 KWH

So during a 2 month period using the May rates you would need to use 150+130+65=345 kwh to reach $500 pesos which leaves an extra 155/2 or about 77 KWH extra per month before you are in danger of reaching DAC

You reach DAC by using more than 3000 KWH during any period  equal to or less than 1 year

I hope that helps pappysmarket

I had the same problem.  Turns out the pump was wired at 110-120v even though I had 220-240 available in the box it was wired too.  Also, very inefficient, old motor.  Got a new two speed motor and also rebuilt the pump at the same time, new impeller and seals.  Power consumption dropped substantially.  Total cost of parts around $100 from the U.S. and a few hours to fix.

Some high efficiency pumps are very costly and some have circuit boards that are very vulnerable to CFE's rather dirty power.  Best to keep it simple and robust with any electric motors here.

MC: Totally agree... A two speed motor with a low, off, high switch is all I need... 

Pappy's Market: The 500 peso average had 700, 800,900 charges offset by 180peso charges that look like a CFE guestimate instead of a actual meter read...

2 hours ago, rvanparys said:

MC: Totally agree... A two speed motor with a low, off, high switch is all I need... 

Pappy's Market: The 500 peso average had 700, 800,900 charges offset by 180peso charges that look like a CFE guestimate instead of a actual meter read...

I have two timers on mine.  One is used to switch between high/low, the other determines total run time and when it runs.  

The first is a 120 v unit I had previously for the older motor.  They both look like this, one is three wire for 240V, the 120V is two wire, all you need for switching between high and low phases on the motor.  Both have been very reliable.

Intermatic T104 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch

$45 on Amazon U.S.  Intermatic is the brand.  T104 is for 240v, T101 for switching between speeds.  They are both mechanical and very hard for CFE to fry.

Just to be a trouble causer, I would like to point out that with our 3 phase systems that the voltage of one phase is 127 volts +/-10% and any two of those phases that are 120 degrees out of phase with the other give us 220 +/- volts. Figure that one out.

Archived