Chapala.com Webboard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at least we know who it is now. This is an important development, albeit not the end. Please keep us updated. Thanks as always Taaffe for your efforts, which in my view are really important here.

While I am happy to read this article in the GDL Reporter, I wish that someone/somewhere would publish the name and photo of the "suspected" serial dog killer.  If he has moved, perhaps that community should be warned that this individual has the potential to do the same there.

I understand that he has not been convicted of these horrendous crimes but it is common for suspects of crimes to have their names and photos released.  If they are vindicated, they should also have retractions made in the media.

I'm still not taking any chances with our fur babies and continue to drive to Joco to enjoy their Malecon.  More time and distance but I feel they are safer until we have more concrete assurances that this was the only person leaving poison and he/she has moved very far away from here.

Valerie

I heard the reason they didn't convict him was because the order came from someone higher up. Apparently they were trying to win some crappy municipal award and instead of doing something productive like fixing the roads or cleaning the garbage they thought: great idea, let's kill some innocent dogs! 

He hasn't moved from Ajijic, just from his job cleaning the malecon. He is a gardener who hated cleaning up after dogs and decided to take things into his own hands .

It is not over, it just needs more pressure from the community to our delegado , Chuni Medeles, and the Presidente Degollado to act decisively. 

2 hours ago, Crazydog said:

I heard the reason they didn't convict him was because the order came from someone higher up. Apparently they were trying to win some crappy municipal award and instead of doing something productive like fixing the roads or cleaning the garbage they thought: great idea, let's kill some innocent dogs! 

Careful now you are liable to be labeled a whiner and a complainer and receive sincere wishes for your exit from the area for pointing out the obvious about our wonderful (?) local government.

:)

2 hours ago, Crazydog said:

How would spreading poisoned meat around and randomly killing dogs in any way, shape, or form be part of winning an award for anything? That story makes zero sense. It seems a far stretch for trying to blame the poisoning on the government. I would love to hear the rationale for this story. Also, if the gardener was tired of cleaning up dog poop on the malecon why poison dogs all over the area?

39 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

There's no logical explanation why a person can be so cruel and uncaring or why and where he kills. He's a criminal.

I agree. But, one of the stories being circulated was that he was ordered by "someone higher up" to kill the dogs because that person wanted to win "some crappy Municipal award." I am asking what award and how does poisoning dogs help win it?

so its a mexican yard man. so much for the big bad expat theory. nothing will happen to him. people who have killed humans walk the streets. where did you hear this story? how do you know its true? did he confess? from what i gather from the posts is that the people higher up dont want to convict him. surprised?

12 hours ago, Xena said:

How would spreading poisoned meat around and randomly killing dogs in any way, shape, or form be part of winning an award for anything? That story makes zero sense. It seems a far stretch for trying to blame the poisoning on the government. I would love to hear the rationale for this story. Also, if the gardener was tired of cleaning up dog poop on the malecon why poison dogs all over the area?

Exactly.  This story doesn't add up.  I find it very plausible that someone higher up in government told this underling to do this.  Much more plausible than suggesting he did it all on his own.  If he did it at all.

Why does this continue to happen here?

Some who walk their dogs and leave their crap in the streets should realize that not everyone thinks this is acceptable. And that goes for those who use these "out of sight, out of mind" dog walking services.  I've yet to see a single one of these dog walkers cleaning up after the animals.  Even when they walk them on the Malecon where children play.

If we didn't have a bunch of loose dogs running around and a bunch of expat dog owners who ought to know better and be more respectful of our public environment, we wouldn't be having these episodes of animal poisonings by some nutjobs.  

I see a lot of understandable upset over these killings but I don't see a lot of effort on the part of local dog owners to address the cause.

The innocent dogs pay the ultimate penalty for irresponsible and inconsiderate owners.  The former get killed in a most gruesome manner and the latter are free to get another hapless pet and go right on creating a nuisance and health hazard for the rest of us.  Until some unbalanced individual loses it and starts the killing again.

In the 9 years I've been here this has happened again and again.  And it will continue to happen until and unless the government starts doing its job of animal control and more than a few irresponsible expats get the message that using our public spaces for a pet crapatorium is not OK.

50 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Exactly.  This story doesn't add up.  I find it very plausible that someone higher up in government told this underling to do this.  Much more plausible than suggesting he did it all on his own.  If he did it at all.

Why does this continue to happen here?

Some who walk their dogs and leave their crap in the streets should realize that not everyone thinks this is acceptable. And that goes for those who use these "out of sight, out of mind" dog walking services.  I've yet to see a single one of these dog walkers cleaning up after the animals.  Even when they walk them on the Malecon where children play.

If we didn't have a bunch of loose dogs running around and a bunch of expat dog owners who ought to know better and be more respectful of our public environment, we wouldn't be having these episodes of animal poisonings by some nutjobs.  

I see a lot of understandable upset over these killings but I don't see a lot of effort on the part of local dog owners to address the cause.

The innocent dogs pay the ultimate penalty for irresponsible and inconsiderate owners.  The former get killed in a most gruesome manner and the latter are free to get another hapless pet and go right on creating a nuisance and health hazard for the rest of us.  Until some unbalanced individual loses it and starts the killing again.

In the 9 years I've been here this has happened again and again.  And it will continue to happen until and unless the government starts doing its job of animal control and more than a few irresponsible expats get the message that using our public spaces for a pet crapatorium is not OK.

Thank you Mainecoons, my thoughts exactly.  I see people every day in the mornings come to the Malecon and let their dogs off leash to run free. Some of these are the same people working to beautify   The Malecon.  Dogs are to be "on leash" and you need a bag with you to clean up after them

I have been lakeside 20 years and years ago it was common knowledge, or most all of the expats all believed  that the government took care of too many street dogs by spreading poisoned foot in areas where the street dogs most often went. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

34 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

Pls don't hijack this post to vent your feelings against dogs without leashes. You can start your own.

Cause and effect Taaffe.  These awful killings are going to continue as long as this irresponsibility continues.  It isn't just about dogs without leashes, actually I think the dogs being walked on leashes by irresponsible expats and/or dog walkers account for a lot more street crap than the loose dogs.  At least in Ajijic.

I go out in the early mornings to get graffiti and see this all the time.

Dog nuisance drives dog poisonings.  Cause and effect.

Just make sure this isn't another poor slob being railroaded for dog poisonings that someone else is orchestrating.  Don't assume the "culprit" for this time has been caught.  Stay vigilant, muzzle your dogs to protect them from getting disease from crap in the streets or picking up poison, rat or otherwise.

55 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

Pls don't hijack this post to vent your feelings against dogs without leashes. You can start your own.

This not hijacking a post.  If you let your dog run off leash you can not know where it does it's business so you can't clean it up thus you are causing a dog nuisances and that drives crazy people to do crazy things to dogs.  

Crazy people who want/need to inflict painful, horrible deaths upon dogs do not need the excuse of poop or owners' failures to obey leash laws. They will do it for any or no reason. No sane person would extrapolate dog nuisance to painfully, horribly killing dogs. I do not buy the classic abusers' excuse of "you made me do it by your behavior" for domestic violence. I am sure not going to buy it when it comes to the slaying of animals.

To most of us poisoning a pet is a terrible sin or event. To a few it's like putting out rat poison to et rid of rats. Somehow these folks can compare the two and treat them the same.  Even when it comes to pests be it rat or a moth I would hope their removal could be done fast and painlessly, I know that our US/Canadian value place pets very high on the list of not to harm. Not all countries or cultures feel the same.

Years ago, a Mexican friend said that there is a higher % of Mexicans who don't place a high value on stray dogs than those of us from up North. I hope he was wrong.

Things are changing, until this latest 8 month poisoning spree and the community's publicity about it and search for the poisoner, locals didn't even know it was a crime.

Now, no one dares to poison a dog for fear of being blamed and prosecuted for them all.

No hay mal que por bien no venga.

I think it's really messed up to bii.tch about offleash dogs when you come to live in a village where 90% of Mexicans leave their dogs roaming. It's also really insensitive to the people that lost their pets from a twisted human mind that thought it was a great idea to put poison out. 

The problem is not the off leash dogs. There's plenty of organizations here that help with street dogs. The problem is that smth criminal was done and the local government did absolutely nothing about it. 

I don't have any proof about the theory that it was the government doing it, but I don't believe blasting the personal info of the gardener that opened up about the story is a good idea either. What if he was told to do it and was just trying to not lose his job. He could also very well be a sick psychopath too, but we don't know the full story. 

All we hear now is the government doesn't give a damn! 

ok so he will take the poison elsewhere. to a place w/less expats. who knows whether it was him, or just a stooge to appease. same as transferring a policeman to another town who robbed the walmart all night guards. (while it was being built). same as telling an alleged pepperspray robber stay out of the expat area he was burgularizing. we get it. its a lawless society. the guad reporter can be a feelgood paper.

21 hours ago, Crazydog said:

I think it's really messed up to bii.tch about offleash dogs when you come to live in a village where 90% of Mexicans leave their dogs roaming. It's also really insensitive to the people that lost their pets from a twisted human mind that thought it was a great idea to put poison out. 

The problem is not the off leash dogs. There's plenty of organizations here that help with street dogs. The problem is that smth criminal was done and the local government did absolutely nothing about it. 

I don't have any proof about the theory that it was the government doing it, but I don't believe blasting the personal info of the gardener that opened up about the story is a good idea either. What if he was told to do it and was just trying to not lose his job. He could also very well be a sick psychopath too, but we don't know the full story. 

All we hear now is the government doesn't give a damn! 

It has been an eye opener as to the insensitivity of a "minority" in our online expat population. One would hope that negative perspective is just the "hive" on message boards. Maybe the message board in itself encourages people to be rude, much like driving encourages rudeness.  

Those who haven't fallen victim to take part in the anonymous nature of posting here (and thus censor their lesser thoughts), and who value animals lives, might be left with a bad taste in their mouth from such excuses.   I have heard from those that would have preferred to stay clear of highly populated expat communities, specifically those which have street dogs, after reading such comments.  Many (most were NOT dog owners) have left for other areas. 

The rationalization for poisoning has been oversimplified in many an expat mind, who dislike dog poop, much of which is from the stray or street population.  Their verdict is animals have it coming.   Pretty sad (and assumptive) perspective to be sure.  

Archived