Chapala.com Webboard

RT application (paranoid question)

Herm

Just wondering, what happens if after an application for permanency ("unidad familiar", been on temporary 2 yrs) is made and the immigration office denies it later for something like incorrect documentation or whatever? Do they make you leave the country and you have to return to apply for a temporary visa all over again or do they give you a chance to fix the problem? I know I have 30 days but if they are slow to get back to me, it is not much time. I am applying for mine in about 12 days.

Once they accept your application to go from RT to RP they give you a form with your NUT [numero unico de tramite] which is your temporary immigration document which you carry and is proof of you being in Mexico legally.With this it dosen´t matter how long the processing takes.It can be a month or more and you are covered, No 30 day limit to complete your processing. You will need to write a business type letter explaining why you want to go from RT to RP.

Law (immigration law and Federal Administrative Law) states that they MUST give you 10 days to correct any mistakes or provide any missing documents and if they dont then the resolution is invalid.  In practice they have not been respecting this so if denied you can file an internal administrative appeal and / or Federal administrative lawsuit and then an amparo.  We have found that the federal courts know little about immigration law and things can take years and while in process you cannot travel so for most people it is easier to leave the country and come in and start over or just file the appeal first and see what happens although we did that and won an appeal and its been a year and they dont know how to refile within their own systems to approve it.

Archived