Chapala.com Webboard

Medical insurance

We do the same - out of pocket for basic doctor visits and meds - major medical for serious situations. I have had a bunch pf medical expenses and have been very happy with what we have in place. We have insurance through AXA and our agent is Jesus Tejeda. Jesus doesn't have an office at lakeside but has a lot of clients here so he is in town very frequently. He is very responsive.

Calle Guadalupe Montenegro 2172 colonia Americana
jtejeda17@hotmail.com
01-333-563-1300 (Office)
045-333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

26 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Many Medicare Part B supplements pay 80% of claims outside the US. 

Usually subject to limitations if your supplement covers outside the US care.  

Our Medigap plan rules are:

--Coverage is for only the first 60 days outside the US.

--Coverage is for Necessary Emergency Services

--Plan pays 80% after deductible up to a maximum lifetime benefit of $50,000

--Policy holder pays 20% after $250 deductible and all amounts over the $50,000 lifetime maximum

BTW...our pre-Medicare insurance pays anytime outside the US (year round) on all necessary emergencies with no deductible and no maximum lifetime cap.  One of us is on Medicare, one of us is not.  Plans are through a former employer (retired).

To my knowledge there is no one offering catastrophic insurance for permanent residents outside of Mexico who are over 70.  Medigap as Bisbee points out assumes you are a tourist and only covers for a short time after leaving the U.S.  Ours works the same as she described and that seems to be typical.

If anyone here has been able to buy catastrophic insurance AFTER the age of 70, please post the details.  Note this assumes your first purchase of enrollment after 70.  I understand there are some plans that if you have enrolled prior to 65 or 70 you can continue to get coverage after 70 although the costs apparently go up pretty fast.

After being here 9 years we've noticed that most longer term expats leave because of medical or because of family or both.

You can buy Plan Seguro (not Seguro Popular) over age 70 as long as your are not sick.  Bellon sells it.

Yes, Medical insurance goes up every year.  You can adjust the deductible and your plan if it gets too expensive, but the less the premium, the less you get.  My deductible per illness and premium with Met Life goes up every year, but with my medical history, I have to bite the bullet and keep a good paying policy.

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

You can buy Plan Seguro (not Seguro Popular) over age 70 as long as your are not sick. 

I used to have Plan Seguro insurance, which I never had to make a claim on, but my agent told me they are incredibly difficult to deal with, that they find every and any excuse not to pay up, if they do pay up it can take a year for the $ to come through, so patients end up paying out of their own pockets, and that whatever level of bureaucracy other companies have regarding claims, Plan Seguro has 10 times more.

So I would not recommend it. Switched to WEA. Much more expensive, but at least they have good reputation.

You would have to check with an agent to see if temp. residents can get SP.  I know Bellow sells Plan Seguro but have never heard that they don't pay well. He could tell you. I know they will only pay so much or have a cap, different than MetLife as there is no cap.

Archived