Chapala.com Webboard

Nogales 21km construction warning

I have received numerous reports of problems with people crossing in Nogales during the past 30 days.  There is apparently construction going on and some minor rerouting and many have reported that they drove my the car permit and immigration area without seeing it or any signs.   They most common complaint is that people dont see where the place is to get car permits or FMMs and keep driving and arrive lakeside with no FMM and no car permit.  We can help with the car permit from within Mexico but if people need to do a CANJE then they will need to drive back or fly back to the border zone to have their entry into Mexico properly recorded.

Also as there is confusion with documents, one set of clients had their car impounded and goods seized by a corrupt official and had to pay $5,000USD to get their car back (inside the free zone) and the aduana officials still have their goods. 

Please be very careful in this area for the aforementioned reasons. 

I can see why most newbies get on an Expat site and question posters what is the normal thing to do when ... ?  If your clients had done that they would have got an ear full and subsequently searched the area for the Banjercito and INM booths for several hours or even all day to find them before heading on down south.

I am curious, Spencer, if you have heard anything about Laredo Bridge II.... I drove out through there April 26th only to find a similar situation to Nogales but MUCH worse results (I wrote a Post about it).... there was construction on the lateral off of Coloso Blvd. leading to the INM/car permit building. Completely impassible with no signs nor workers present to ask. Finding another way into that building through N. Laredo is not for the faint of heart.

That construction/blockage could not have been fixed very quickly so I'm wondering, for others coming through in both directions, if anyone has reported the same thing I saw or otherwise have 'new' information.

Archived