Chapala.com Webboard

Rights of tenant without a lease

DorisYucatan

I took over an apartment from a friend (now in the USA) who had a verbal agreement with a landlord in Progreso Yucatan. The agreement was 6000 pesos a month for four months until the end of May, 2017. I have paid rent on time and have a written receipt for each month's payments. My proposal for a one year lease was turned down by the landlord, who wants to increase my rent to 7000 pesos per month, no lease. Do I have any rights? Can I be evicted without a lease? Can the landlord refuse my rental payment of 6000 pesos for the month of June? 

Thank you for your help. 

We're a long way from you over there in the Yucatan, probably not the best source of information for your state.  In general however, verbal agreements don't count for much in Mexico   On top of that you aren't even the original lessee.  Hard to see how you would have any recourse but you should consult someone with legal expertise in these matters in Yucatan to confirm this.

With nothing in writing, not even permission to be living in your apartment, you are in the weakest possible position in trying to negotiate anything with the owner. Is eviction possible? Absolutely. You need a real estate attorney NOW! 

Of course you don't have any right to stay in a home without an agreement with the owner, written or otherwise. If you don't want to pay an increase in rent and the owner is unrelenting about the increase, you have to move. What will the  cost of a lawyer get you?

That said, it's very hard for a landlord to evict a tenant. It could take months, at least around here it would, I hear.

Lexy

Or maybe they'll just send some thugs around and deal with the "eviction" informally.  I sure wouldn't mess with a Mexican landlord like that.  They tend to have a very direct way of handling things in this country.

If you had a lease, it might be subject to some sort of maximum rental increase percentage.  But you don't.

The rent is like $375 per month U.S.  Depending on where this is at in Yucatan, that could be dirt cheap.

If not, you haven't been there that long, just go find something else.  

Progreso is right on the beach, north of Merida. Many seasonal beach houses belonging to the folks in Merida. You can usually find very reasonable rentals there with one kicker: You must often vacate for the school summer vacation. You can walk out 100 meters in the ocean and water is only up to your knees but too much seaweed for us. We scouted it in 2007.  As MC says, evictions are handled informally and do not involve the courts. Be very careful.

The agreement was until the end of May , the owner has the right to raise the rent and not want  to have a lease.. Find something else and move.. The people from Merida like to use their bech houses in July so keep that in mind if you find another place without a lease..

Archived