Chapala.com Webboard

Cell Phone Purchase

Looking at a new cell phone.  For many reasons, I need a "rugged" phone that can be dropped on the street, in water etc.  Ebay is my friend but I don't want to buy a phone (some of these things are pricy!) and get it down here only to find out I can't use it.  

When the seller says "network locked", what does that mean and is it irreversible?  If the seller says "unlocked", does that mean I can bring it down and use it with no problems?

These phones tend to be sealed (that's what makes them waterproof) so I suspect that it would take a smart tech to work around any barriers.

Any help is appreciated. 

19 hours ago, gwynne said:

Looking at a new cell phone.  For many reasons, I need a "rugged" phone that can be dropped on the street, in water etc.  Ebay is my friend but I don't want to buy a phone (some of these things are pricy!) and get it down here only to find out I can't use it.  

When the seller says "network locked", what does that mean and is it irreversible?  If the seller says "unlocked", does that mean I can bring it down and use it with no problems?

These phones tend to be sealed (that's what makes them waterproof) so I suspect that it would take a smart tech to work around any barriers.

Any help is appreciated. 

You can save yourself some cash and buy an unlocked phone from anywhere and place the phone in an Otterbox.

https://www.otterbox.com/

I think some Samsung phones are water resistant. Not sure I would use the term waterproof. Maybe the iPhone 7 is now that they eliminated the headphone jack. 

From the C Net review of the Cat S60

The Good The Cat S60 features a built-in thermal imaging camera. It can consistently survive 6 foot drops onto concrete and can take a 16 foot dunking into water. It has an expandable microSD card slot and loud front-facing speakers.

The Bad It's significantly thicker and heavier than other smartphones. The thermal imaging feature while cool and fun, is mostly useless aside from some specific cases.

The Bottom Line The Cat S60's durable build is impressive, but its appeal is limited to those who can make good use of its built-in thermal imaging camera.

I'm also looking at the Kyocera Duraforce Pro.  It has a 15 mp camera AND it can be used for underwater photography.  Admittedly not much good in the lake, but if I ever want to photograph the bottom of the stock tank.........

I've only been in a stock tank once but after a long but successful antelope hunt the one where we were camped sure felt good to get under that water. I would not want to photograph the bottom. A cold Blitz beer and Willie singing away helped to forget crawling on our bellies in 100 degree heat to sneak up on that trophy. You just go ahead and take all the pictures you want, not me.

That's funny... I knew that there was a Blatz beer up until the late 50s because that was a beer we could get from the bootlegger as a teen in a dry county. But did not know that there was a Blitz beer.   Blatz or Blitz, your choice!!!  I see that Blitz is a Weinhard product. "Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve" used to be one of my favorite beers. Mmmmm good.

Blitz was the first of HW's many brews. Oregon beer. A great TV commercial featured the Blitz people stopping a beer truck coming from California. The name of the beer? Schludweiler! "Where you boys goin with all that beer?"

A compilation of Schlitz, Bud and Miller. Pretty crafty.

3 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

Well Pappy Blitz was a great beer. Blitz and Raineeeer were great!

Raineeeer was OK but it was from Washington and us boys from Bend, Oregon drank Blitz.

OK, hope the OP will not mind but a little Trivia. Washington State variety. We're coming up on the anniversary of a big event on May 18. If you remember and experienced it what was it and where were you?  I was camped at East Lake in Central Oregon that Sunday morning. Hint: 1980  Second hint:  Harry Truman. 

Winner gets a beer on me in PV.

I was in the Philippines when it happened and flew back to Seattle one week later. Before I flew back, I was watching TV in the Philippines and I saw how deep the you know what was in Spokane and figured that my home in Seattle would be much worse. We flew back first to SF and later up to Seattle and we flew near where Harry Truman used to live and were close enough to see most everything then arriving to only a little dusty Seattle where I am right now for a visit.

By the way, we should be ashamed of ourselves and if I had the power and 2, knew how to do it, I would move these last two posts to a new topic. So please forgive me for straying away from the original post. And maybe Mr. Moderator, at your discretion, you could move these posts and start a new topic for those of us sinners who are not on topic

11 hours ago, johanson said:

I was in the Philippines when it happened and flew back to Seattle one week later. Before I flew back, I was watching TV in the Philippines and I saw how deep the you know what was in Spokane and figured that my home in Seattle would be much worse. We flew back first to SF and later up to Seattle and we flew near where Harry Truman used to live and were close enough to see most everything then arriving to only a little dusty Seattle where I am right now for a visit.

By the way, we should be ashamed of ourselves and if I had the power and 2, knew how to do it, I would move these last two posts to a new topic. So please forgive me for straying away from the original post. And maybe Mr. Moderator, at your discretion, you could move these posts and start a new topic for those of us sinners who are not on topic

Winner, contact me if you will be in PV and I will buy and show you 4 places right near the beach with low prices and good food.

3 hours ago, rvanparys said:

In Spokane... 3pm it started snowing and was pitch black outside...

Also a winner. Contact me if you will be in PV. See above.

Archived