Chapala.com Webboard

Woman selling her paella at SuperLake

Lexy

Two weeks ago, on a Saturday, there was a woman set up to sell her paella (and other items). I haven't had much luck finding a good paella, but I decided to try hers and it was really superior to most of the ones I've had. It was a combo of meat and seafood. The shrimp were large, many clams, mussels, tender chunks of pork. slices of sausage. I'd buy it again.

This past Saturday she wasn't at SuperLake when I was there. Does anyone know if she has a shop of her own or goes to any of the weekly markets?

Lexy

5 hours ago, tomgates said:

How can you be sure it has been kept at proper temperature, especially with seafood?

I don't know, Tom. I recall she had some kind of heating device there that day keeping her cooked food at least warm.

Many of us buy these freshly prepared dishes at SuperLake and the daily markets: sushi, stuff from Boar's Head restaurant, etc. without great concerns, but probably with caution.

Lexy

When I got a food handler's permit in the US, and the test that came with it, I have become very suspicious about the amount of home prepared food items, at SuperLake and especially at the various gringo markets. Just one thing you may or may not know. You cook a big pot of soup, stew, chili or stock. To keep bacteria at bay, you have to put the hot pot in a ice water bath and stir the stock until the temp is well below 100 deg. Then you can put it in the refrigerator. You have to keep any prepared food out of the 140 to 40 deg zone. Bacteria will double in as little as 20 minutes. 

Archived