Chapala.com Webboard

That time of year.. heading to Laredo!

Hi guys,

Can't believe it's already been 6 months. I posted a message back in October about my mom moving down here and wanted some advice about the process. The advice I got proved invaluable, it made things so much easier!

As she's been here nearly 6 months now on a tourist visa, she needs to head back. She brought her car, so she/we will be driving, but since all she needs to do is turn in the TIP and tourist visa and come back, we'll be heading to Laredo (much closer than Nogales!)

I've seen around here the recommendation to pass through Colombia instead of Laredo itself, so I think we'll do that. She's not comfortable driving so I will probably be going with her but thankfully it is a much shorter trip (we did 1000 miles in 24 hours last time.. ugh). 

I wanted to ask - is anyone heading up to Laredo around the 27th of May who either wants/needs a ride, or would like to convoy? 

A few questions: 

1. She was robbed 3 weeks after getting here and had to replace her credit cards, her FMM, passport, everything. Since her CC number has changed, how do we inform them of the new number, so she can get the deposit back for her TIP?

2. I was under the impression she had to leave Mexico for 3 days, but others have told me "What? I have never heard of that" and that we can just turn right around at the border. What is the truth here?

3. Because this is a hassle, she is probably going to sell the car in the US and fly back. It's not the optimal option but I shouldn't be driving her car (I am PR) and it's alot of effort every 6 months (we are working on her TR or PR visa but it's a ways off). I don't suppose there's any way for her to nationalize that car or sell it here? I know at the very least it costs $thousands to nationalize, which I don't think she even can without at least a TR visa right? :( 

Think that's all for now. :)

The 3-day thing is not accurate. A 'quick turnaround' depends on the border crossing/agent/fate .... in other words it is different depending on the moon cycle. Most folks say wait at least a shift-change. 

I 'think' that a PR can drive a relatives car if the relative is a passenger, but no one is going to care because no one is going to ask (unless it is the double-triple moon cycle). 

Her TIP car cannot be sold in Mexico. Nationalizing it would also require a trip to the border and must be done by a licensed broker and must be of a certain age. Cost could run around $2500 and take some time at the border. Probably best to just sell it to, like, CarMax in San Antonio... which will be at wholesale unless she/you have a lot of time to sit on the border in a motel trying to advertise/sell it. 

Aduana is probably the agency to contact about the credit card thing. 

Colombia is a good choice for a quicker crossing all be it a little treck out there.  PLUS, when I came through Laredo downtown proper 2 weeks ago the INM place at Bridge II was blocked off (30' section of the road dug 10' deep!) so one could not get in without knowing how to do so by winding through N. Laredo. It did not look to me like it was going to be fixed any time soon. Typically of Mexico there were no signs and no one there knew how to get to the building from any other route. I used a taxi driver to help me as I had to cancel.

Regarding the credit you should receive back on your card after turning in your TIP, check with the credit card company and explain to them that you will be receiving a credit back against the old card number. Generally, they have the old number mapped to your new card number. I'm thinking that dealing with your US credit card company to make this happen it will be easier than trying to get Banjercito to issue your TIP credit against a different card number than to which they charged your TIP deposit.

Why would she not make an appointment at the MX consulate in Laredo and apply for a pre-approved TR visa?

You can drive her car even though a PR without her in it. See my web site under vehicles, who can drive a foreign plated car.

There is no 3 day rule, nor even 10 minute rule. For those who repeatedly apply for a FMM there is always the remote chance one will be told you are not a tourist and this is your last entry as a tourist or no entry this time. The most recent case I am aware of was last week to a man in San Miguel. 

I also recommend Colombia.

Thanks to the organization I work with cars are being nationalized at the border effective May 2 following meetings on March 25, 2017 in Mexico City with Aduana / SAT, lawyers, our broker etc and from which an agreement was signed. You need to contact a broker at Laredo for model years, NAFTA vs non-NAFTA, cost etc. 

saludos

Sonia

Definitely turn in the TIP and have Banjercito remove the sticker and issue the receipt, which should be kept forever, like most Mexican documents, receipts, etc.

Its not about being cheap and losing $400 but having an illegal car subject to impound which they will never get back in a crash or towing situation nor if pulled over by one of the many overzealous transit cops. Potential insurance claim issues if she is at fault as the insurance company can argue car was illegal so they wont cover which means Mexican jail or paying out of pocket.  Much more at stake than $400 so please go back and return car on time so as not to risk potential future liability.

Haha thanks guys. Ok so I'm going to look into Sonia's suggestion about a broker for the car. And yes we're definitely turning in the TIP :P

About the TR visa - there are no conditions she can satisfy to get one. That's what we need to work on :)

When she flies back, after selling her car, you might consider her need for a car.  It would be possible for you, a Residente Permanente, to buy, register, and insure a car and give her a letter of permission to drive it, etc.  That should solve the problem, if she needs a car.

Archived