Chapala.com Webboard

Internet service

O.K. , first I am trying my best to be polite, if you do not have an answer, please, oh , please resist posting, I am begging you. I am so stressed out and the last thing I need is someone answering my question with another question or some unnecessary comment. Please, remember how stressful it was for you when you moved.

Please, recommend a provider or providers for the following:

internet

landline

TV - would like to see American football, TCM and I need HBO for the Game of Thrones.

If you all could recommend some providers, I will see if they service my area, just need a jumping off point.

Also, side note, if anyone out there is a GOT fan, maybe we can get a little group going to have GOT viewing parties. We had one here and it was wayyyyyyy fun.

Hola Denise!

Greetings!

First off..good idea with that little caveat! That's the way it should be.

I personally use TELMEX for both Landline and Internet. I pay a little less than $400 pesos a month for both and they work well. I am in Upper Chula Vista.

For the TV/CABLE, I have SkyCable and  to get more English Channels, I subscribe to a plan that is one step higher than the basic for almost $600 pesos a month for two rooms ( 2 gadgets/units).   Connection is good but not sure about getting  all the shows/programs you mentioned since I do not watch TV and I subscribe to Cable only for my tenants.

SERENITY NOW..Denise.....SERENITY NOW!

Actually you are sort of limited in selections but here is some info. And, yes, it will depend on where you are living so check availability.

Internet:  Telmex, the telephone company offers DSL. Up and down speeds depend on the package you get AND how lucky you are at your casa to support any of those speeds!  

Telecable: the cable TV company offers the Internet but again check with neighbors even IF cable is offered on your block

Cellphone companies:  Telcel and AT&T (others?) offer data plans but make sure at what speeds (LTE?) and coverage at your casa, and at what cost per GB as it can be much more expensive than the others.

Landline: well only Telmex offers true landline phones, but I understand that Telecable also offers "that" service off of their cable. Check/ask around for recommendations (or not)

Other phone services:  cellphones. Not landline of course but many folks use them exclusively. One can get a package that gives you International calling.

TV:  for what you are looking for  (HBO, etc) I don't personally know of source other than the satellite services.... Shaw and DirectTV. Shaw is hands down the most prevalent here I think.

Yes, Shaw Direct is the best solution today but not it the not so in the distant future. I received a letter from Shaw that it is important to get the new LNB that picks up not only the older satellites Anik F1R and Anik F2 but also the much newer Anik G1 which has a signal footprint that does not reach Mexico.

Beginning last month and continuing until sometime in 2020 they will be moving all the channels on the two older satellites to Anik G1 They are also upgrading the signal compression to mpeg 4 and according to the technician I was talking to, they will no longer be broadcasting channels in both standard and high definition. Rather everything will be in HD and more highly compressed using Mpeg4. And all of the channels will eventually be on Anik G1 which can not be picked up in Mexico. 

I sure hope that I am wrong and that they do not abandon those old satellites that we are now watching. Anik F2 was launched in July 2004 and Anik F1R in Sep 2005. The average life for these birds is about 15 years. Oh the satellite that everything is being transferred to, Anik G1, was launched in April of 2013

We use USTvNow for TV. It's from PA, so what you get for sports is based on that area of the US. It's nice because I can record things and watch later. We are also use the new Roku TV service. It's good, based on west coast time. Lots of sports. No recording ability though. Trying to see if we can go with one over the other.Roku service has channels that USTvNow doesn't. 

What is the new Roku TV service?

I second USTV and we also have SKY Basic which gets me plenty of NFL on Sunday and US has the nets for college fb

HBO available on a more expensive SKY package.

Denise:

TelMex for internet and landline phone... 3XX pesos a month on this plan...

TV we have Dish at $1XX/ mo/ US... Lots of channels all English (US)... A bit more expensive but we feel worth it...

Suggest you contact Mike Merryman at Ajijic Electronics   766-1117... Great service after sale which you will need here...

Don't stress .... 

TelMex for land line and internet. Dish US Sat TV. If you buy a house, it will probably come with a phone and internet in place. CP Electronics in Guadalajara or Satellite Systems in Ajijic can set you up with Dish.

There was a very intense chain here about streaming internet TV. This seems the way to go and eliminates the huge dishes on the roof and also the rain interference. One option is a local service lakesidestream.com for $25 a month (one month minimum) that only requires a Roku (about $100). I am now paying $75 a month for basic Dish and have the rain interruptions. I am still interested in hearing from those that are happy (or unhappy) with this service. Gracias

Yes, if the Satellite dish is too small, then during heavy rains and even light rains, the signals will weaken to below the strength necessary for the receiver to get a signal. This almost never happens with Shaw if you have a larger dish than needed for good weather, but sadly with US DirecTV and DISH, the signal is so weak that the satellite dealers tell you that you can't get a large enough one to work during inclement weather.  They tell us that the largest satellite dish the satellite dealers can get me is the 2.4 meter or almost 8 foot in diameter Ku or Ka frequency dish,

Also remember another alternative would be to upgrade from old fashioned analog signals on Telecable  that go from about channel 2 to  86 or so to Digital  Telecable like in Canada and the states with  channels going from below 100 all the way up to 999 or so. YES there are many more channels on digital than on the old fashioned analog channels but nowhere near 999 or even half that number of channels. They even have the NFL channel and CNN in HD and there are many channels which when you set the audio to SAP will all of a sudden be in English. Sadly although there a lot of English channels to include Fox News, BBC, CNNI, and CNN they do not include ABC, CBS, NBC, Global, CTC, or CBC.

Archived