Chapala.com Webboard

Jocotepec

I know expats who live in Las Fuentes on the east side of Joco, and they love it. It's a well-to-do town, farming center, nice paved streets, good tianguis and meat market. 

In Jocotepec, we enjoy eating at La Carreta, a few doors south of the main church and town square.   Great authentic Mexican ambiance.   The Chinese restaurant a few doors up from Farmacia Guadalajara is also good.   There used to be a place called Quinto Sabor which was great but I am not sure if it is still open...   oh and the al pastor tacos and "Gringas" from Primos are outstanding, they are about a half block up from the Chinese place.  Yum.

Add fast access to shopping on the NW side of GDL, and significant time saving when going to the beach or to the lovely mountain time of Mazamitla.  And there's Roca Azul as well.

About the only drawback I can see is that it is some distance from the center of expat life lakeside, if that is a concern for you.

Also, it does take more time to get to the airport although the impending opening of the new macrolibremiento between Lopez Mateos and Chapala highway may cut some serious time off of that.

All those restaurants in San Juan Cosala are not that far away either.

We have an active member here who lives there for quite some time who can no doubt add a lot more to this discussion.  Fred?

IF you have to travel often to Ajijic for clubs, doctors, groceries, church ect. you will come to hate the topes, of which there must be almost 70 now.

The have their street (tiangus) market on Thursday one block north of the plaza.  Prices are lower on real estate so make sure that they are lower when you buy, Guadalajara Pharmacy in Joco has lower prices than the one in Ajijic, they always use the discount price. 

Echo the point about not buying. We know several people who have elaborate homes in Joco and south of the lake and they can't give them away. And yes, you will be driving into Ajijic and points east more than several times a week and those topes are a deal killer.

I have never understood why topes would be a deal killer.   There are about 15-20 topes between Joco and Ajijic.   If you have a car that can clear them without scraping it is no big deal.   You quickly learn their locations.  We enjoy the drive into Ajijic or Jocotepec from SJC, topes are not an issue for us whatsoever.   Why do people think a speed bump is a deal killer ?  It is about a 15 minute beautiful drive from SJC to either Joco or Ajijic.   Most people have daily commutes that take far longer than that.  

I do not enjoy the rattling over topes. I do not like being stuck in slow moving traffic because some people are going 5 miles an hour over the topes for fear of denting their oil pan. Because it works for you don't assume it should or would work for everybody.

I'm sure no one who lives in Joco has a problem with the topes or travel time to Ajijic.  Their defensive posture will be evident.  But I'm with Tom, Xena et al who do not like the traffic problems and "killer" topes associated with the "puebla".   Without question it is, for some, a great place to live with much to offer in the way of Mexican ambience.  Just know that if you ever decide to sell it will not be an easy task.  But living there and the ease of travel to Costco and Zapopan is certainly worth it to some.   In short  no one is knocking Joco but it's not for everyone.  Certainly not for me.

1 hour ago, LakeViews said:

I have never understood why topes would be a deal killer.   There are about 15-20 topes between Joco and Ajijic.   If you have a car that can clear them without scraping it is no big deal.   You quickly learn their locations.  We enjoy the drive into Ajijic or Jocotepec from SJC, topes are not an issue for us whatsoever.   Why do people think a speed bump is a deal killer ?  It is about a 15 minute beautiful drive from SJC to either Joco or Ajijic.   Most people have daily commutes that take far longer than that.  

I agree.

I just came back from Ajijic.  There were 6 topes between SJC and Ajijic and two sets of vibradores.  The highway is quite smooth compared to Ajijic's cobblestone streets.   Ajijic has stoplights and stop signs all of which not only slow traffic but stop it altogether.   Ajijic stops traffic and is quite bumpy, whereas the highway is generally smooth and does not stop traffic.  I see an irrational double standard.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I do not enjoy the rattling over topes. I do not like being stuck in slow moving traffic because some people are going 5 miles an hour over the topes for fear of denting their oil pan. Because it works for you don't assume it should or would work for everybody.

Your description says you live in Chapala.   There are topes on the way to Ajijic, was that a deal breaker?

The Topes between Chapala and Ajijic are those very small ones meant to lightly vibrate your car. They slow a small % way down and the rest of us slow down only slightly, I don't count these as Topes. For me, at least, they are too small to count

LakeViews, Pete's answer is the same one I would given you. You are reaching pretty far to try and prove something -- though I am not sure what. You are right that the topes do not bother you. I am right that the topes do bother me. That's all.

I have no love or hate for topes.   Would I prefer a highway without topes, yes.   What I don't understand is how topes could be a "deal breaker."  The people who say that are likely to live in Ajijic on bumpy slow cobblestone streets with stop signs and traffic lights.  I would guess that the average rate of travel is far faster on the highway with fewer vehicular vibrations.   But so far I have not heard anyone say that cobblestone is a deal breaker.   I am not reaching, I am trying to understand why there is a double standard.  So far I have heard that people don't like slowing down and they don't like the vibrations of topes.  Don't cobblestone streets result in vibrations and slower driving?   What's the difference?

27 minutes ago, LakeViews said:

I have no love or hate for topes.   Would I prefer a highway without topes, yes.   What I don't understand is how topes could be a "deal breaker."  The people who say that are likely to live in Ajijic on bumpy slow cobblestone streets with stop signs and traffic lights.  I would guess that the average rate of travel is far faster on the highway with fewer vehicular vibrations.   But so far I have not heard anyone say that cobblestone is a deal breaker.   I am not reaching, I am trying to understand why there is a double standard.  So far I have heard that people don't like slowing down and they don't like the vibrations of topes.  Don't cobblestone streets result in vibrations and slower driving?   What's the difference?

Perhaps the answer is simply that you get used to it, just like people in Ajijic get used to the cobblestones and traffic. The people for whom the topes are a deal breaker don't drive them often enough to get used to them, do not pick up the rhythm of driving that route so they hate it. They don't want to risk making the move to Jocotepec and finding that they don't get used to it and continue to hate it. I once looked at a casita just east of Jocotepec. It was so lovely and the rent so reasonable I considered seeing if I could adjust to the topes. But, then I found out there was no internet available in that pocket of housing. No internet at all. Now, for me THAT was the deal breaker. 

Me to Xena. I can't live without internet. Oh and of course then there is the international news and US politics and other more stupid things that I have got to have including access to a Costco etc.  And of course the local Costco is closer to Joco than in Ajijic.

I think Xena might be correct about repetition, learning and getting used to things.   I had a home where the driveway was narrow and steep.  I was frightened of that driveway for the first few weeks then it soon became easy and care free.   Here with the topes in a Honda Civic there was a bit of anxiety early on, which disappeared when we learned where the topes were and further eased when we bought a SUV with ample vertical clearance.   Now topes in our known area are not a concern whatsoever.   Outside our known area it is a pain in the a#$ when the topes seem to pop up out of no where.   Nice observation, Xena.

There are some very nice homes located in Joco...However many of those I have visited are at the end of a dirt track...sure most of the main streets in town are smooth, however a lot of the nice properties with " outstanding views" ,need a 4X4 to reach.

If you have a list of must haves or needs, then just tick them off and see if Joco fits your list..easy...but then of course there is the unpredictable  special feature(s), like neighbors with barking dogs, did you put that on your list?

4 hours ago, el bartman said:

I'm sure no one who lives in Joco has a problem with the topes or travel time to Ajijic.  Their defensive posture will be evident.  But I'm with Tom, Xena et al who do not like the traffic problems and "killer" topes associated with the "puebla".   Without question it is, for some, a great place to live with much to offer in the way of Mexican ambience.  Just know that if you ever decide to sell it will not be an easy task.  But living there and the ease of travel to Costco and Zapopan is certainly worth it to some.   In short  no one is knocking Joco but it's not for everyone.  Certainly not for me.

Hmmm...  Looks like Joco would be the place if you want fewer Anglo neighbors, eh?

:D

Personally, coming to the theater in San Antonio would require me driving back to Joco in the dark - it would not be something I would enjoy.  Neither would driving through the Piedra Barrenada are on the weekends with visitors who often are over the limit with alcohol and driving recklessly.   But - every one is different.   What is right for some of us is not for others.

Archived