Chapala.com Webboard

New Jala-Compostela highway segment

Came in this way.  The parts that are finished are excellent, as is most of the 15 cuota all the way to Nogales.  AND the construction is going gangbusters on everything unfinished.  Looked like the US freeway construction under Eisenhower.  The tolls didn't make any sense to me but $82 from Nogales to Ajijic seemed like a bargain.

• 9 months later...

The government has advertised that the next section Mazatan to Las Varas will open in May. Boots on the ground say maybe not...

http://jaltemba-bay-mexico.com/index.php?/topic/8729-well-dont-hold-your-breath-to-slip-into-the-car-or-pickup-and-drive-on-the-new-toll-road-to-mazatan/

On 2/19/2018 at 12:31 PM, John Shrall said:

The government has advertised that the next section Mazatan to Las Varas will open in May. Boots on the ground say maybe not...

http://jaltemba-bay-mexico.com/index.php?/topic/8729-well-dont-hold-your-breath-to-slip-into-the-car-or-pickup-and-drive-on-the-new-toll-road-to-mazatan/

Requires a sign in John.  Can you quote the salient parts?

From Jaltemba Bay Site:

Went on an adventure this morning and brought along someone you all may know ,
Yup Davey the operator of the board!
Dave figur3d a coin toss should or would be in order to d3cide which vehicle we should run up into the willi waggs,
Knowing my personal thirst for seeing what's around the next corner, I think we made the right choice by selecting the older and much higher ford explorer over the shinny sleak and spanking new Hundahindi,thingamajig!
Traveling north to the El Capomo turn we glided effortlessly down the my way grinning in the morning son and destined to reveal just exactly was going on with the construction of the new toll hyway,
Driving towards the town of El Capomo we found our turn and proceeded down a back country trail equivalent to a bush party road for teen ages in northern Albert ,although unlike a typical Alberta driver I felt the need not to put to much fear into the heart of my traveling companion for the day,well at least until we had achieved some elevation!

After a coupl2e Klms of back road we came apon a work camp more or less shut down for the Sunday, meeting a couple trucks we inquired and got a hum steer as to which way we were to go!
After driving as far on the flat to find an entrance to the new road we returned and ask again, this time not the heffe but some working men hàveing a social discussion around some idle equipment!
They straightened us our and away we went but not before a couple miss turns and a backup or 2!Up the steep incline in the po2wery dust achieving the paved lower portion of the new road!
This is the road you can see driving north of La Penita around El Capomo on your right. 
We had interpreted that we were not really supposed to be on the road but our smiling d3meanor and official white cruiser, with a friendly wave here and there got us past the watching eyes of the road workers!
Approx 2 kilometers from where we entered the my way and sharply up hill the pavement began to thin then disappear!
Davey was working feverishly to capture as much on film as his button pushing finger could accomplish!Wwith the skill of an artist and a concentration level few have experience he captured one event after anouther with grace and a skill rarely seen!
Yes we made it to the basic end of the road for us although it continued 2we were held up by a couple boulders that lay squarely on the broken road ,
From that point forward there was nothing we could do as even had we past these boulders the terrain became extreme and grade very steep!
Work was taking place on a great number of bridges yet unrecognizable as they were at the beginning of the construction!
We returned and were met on our return with smiles and waves from the workers who I'm thinking didn't think we would have made it as far as we did ,
A good mornings drive we stopped a enjoyed a Vista from the top of a peak and had a cold libation! Before we returned!
Yes it has been said this road will be finish this spring !
Well I'm here to tell you they are bigger and better story tellers that I as my estimate will add yes spring even say May ,but 2020!

highway2.png

highway3.png

highway4.png

highway6.png

highway8.png

highway9.png

Archived