Chapala.com Webboard

Motorcycle Service

I know this is a very subjective question but for the motorcycle riders on the forum, what's your experience with the cost of repairs at Lakeside vs. back home in Canada? I ride an older VStrom and it needs major work;  cam chains, cam chain tensioner, valves etc. It's an older bike with high klm and my mechanic said not to bother. It'll be at least 20 hours + parts which is close to $2,500 CAD and it's more than the bike is worth. Any experience with this kind of work Lakeside? I'm coming back to Ajijic in December and I'm planning on bringing my bike (or a bike if this one doesn't last) If it's significantly less I might try to limp through this season and bring it with me to service in Ajijic. 

Any thoughts?

Thx

Dale

Guess it depends on how long you're coming down for.   If intent is for a long period I'd buy a ride down here.   Parts are going to be a relatively fixed price.   You may find a decent wrench down here or a new hobby for you.  Ned Small would give you good advice I think.   Look up his name on this board and send him a PM if he doesn't see this post.

I don't think there is a mechanic lakeside that I would take a VStrom to. When I had my 1000 I took it to Motos Y Partes Chavane SA de CV , excellent shop. Chavane is an ex factory Dakar mechanic and his crew are very knowledgeable. You'd have to contact them though as to prices on labor and parts. Sometimes parts can be hard to get down here so if you know what you need consider bringing them down with you.

Get a compression tester from Crappy Tire and also look at your spark plugs to start with, to make sure your mechanic isn't bs-ing you. If your valves and or rings are shot  your compression would be uneven and probably also low. Good thing to have anyway. You don't say which V-Strom it is and how old.Mechanics here are the real deal not just parts replacers, so they can actually fix things and make things and they sure as heck don't come close to charging what your Canadian guy does. Actually there is 1 moto mechanic here who is Canadian and he charges less than your guy but more than Mexicans. He mainly works on Harleys. What were you told the problem was? Are you hearing loud ticking or what is it? My friends moto is 64 years old and he lets some of us help mess with it sometimes. Yours is just a kid with probably a bit of growing pain.

Edit: It would also be to your benefit to get a service and or parts manual.

He does.  He maintains a large stable of heavily ridden bikes at Riders of the Sierra Madre.  And works on most bikes including the VStrom.  It is fantastic to have this guy in town.

My BMW bikes have all been highly reliable.  The latest, a 2015 R1200GS "waterboxer" is a truly amazing ride.  Traction control, electronic suspension, latest ABS technology, fly by wire, keyless ignition, integrated GPS, 125HP, a truly awesome ride.  It will be my last and by far the best.

Archived