Chapala.com Webboard

Recent Satellite Internet services

I am looking at Satellite Internet services available Lakeside. Read some less than positive reviews of Hughes in the archives. Anyone using satellite internet service have some advice? Is it better than using a Iphone hotspot? Interesting in streaming capabilities. Thanks.

Have never heard anything good about Hughes. Cell phone Internet here is extremely fast, generally speaking over 30 Mbps, but expensive. Do a search on these forums for much greater detail recently on cell phone Internet.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Have never heard anything good about Hughes. Cell phone Internet here is extremely fast, generally speaking over 30 Mbps, but expensive. Doe a search on these forums for much greater detail recently on cell phone Internet.

Thanks for that. Will look further.

23 hours ago, Lost Dog said:

I am looking at Satellite Internet services available Lakeside. Read some less than positive reviews of Hughes in the archives. Anyone using satellite internet service have some advice? Is it better than using a Iphone hotspot? Interesting in streaming capabilities. Thanks.

Dog, have you priced TeleCable and asked about speeds? There are rumors that Telemex has faster service recently but it depends on the area of town, I pay for 20 but they can only deliver about 5.3  in Rancho de Oro

Geeser, I have been keeping up with conversations on the forums and FB pages. Trying to get a handle on what the local options are and what I already have to compare. We are moving into El Dorado next week. Being a journeyman internet junkie, looking for the best available vs cost. 

I asked Telmex about getting a phone line in the RC, they said nope, get on the waiting list.   Telecable is oversubscribed.   Fast in the morning then slow in the afternoon as more people get online.   Part of the year it is normally fast at 10-20mb/s down. 2 MLB.s up.  But when lots of people are in town, like the snowbirds and tourists for spring vacations well speed almost halts in the evenings.    Last night was the first night I could stream HD with telecable in about a month...   I use LTE hotspot when telecable is unusable.   LTE is yielding 40 down and 8 up, by far the fastest speeds in the area, but also expensive.   

Archived