Chapala.com Webboard

Hot Dog Shop

cafemediterraneo

I had to go over and see what this place was all about after viewing it from the bus. It is located at Ocampo 3B, 2 doors west of Diane Pearl's at #1 Colon. The exterior of the building has been painted to look like an old fashioned log cabin type hot dog stand. The owner, Daniel spoke english and was eager to talk about his products. no gluten or fillers, only meat and spices. and 20 condiments, not extra. bratwurst, borrego, polish, pollo, pavo, espanol, tradional....french fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings...open 11am to 9pm every day. 766-3807 or 333-662-9990

We could really use a good dog place. Daniel used to own a restaurant across from where La Mision is now, and offered 2-for-1 meals for a long time. He most recently was at Food Lake Container, who offer a huge dog for a good price, with tons of toppings. Trouble is, the weiners are Fud brand, which... aside from being yucky tasting, like fake meat... are way down at the bottom of the quality ingredients scale.

So if Daniel can keep his standards up, I'm hoping for great success. He's been open for a few weeks now, but I haven't had a chance to get there, nor heard any reports.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:36 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Trouble is, the weiners are Fud brand, which... aside from being yucky tasting, like fake meat... are way down at the bottom of the quality ingredients scale.

"Fud" (pronounced "food" in Spanish) is one of my favorite funny Mexican brand names. The other ones are "Grisi" a brand of hair products, and "Kranky" a brand of candy.

Wishing Daniel great success on his new venture.  He's a super nice guy and I hope he succeeds.  We'll definitely give it a try.

Valerie :)

I already told Daniel the same thing. His Polish is good, but $75 MX for a fancy hotdog is a bit much. $39 MX for fires makes it $109. Try Melanies! The price is  much less and includes a beer!

2 minutes ago, Oatsie said:

Tony's sells Costco hot dogs in their refrigerated section - on the right - just inside the door.

Does he have the 1/4 pounders or the smaller ones? I don't know why but the smaller ones just don't taste the same. Probably just me.

On 4/30/2017 at 1:03 AM, mudgirl said:

"Fud" (pronounced "food" in Spanish) is one of my favorite funny Mexican brand names. The other ones are "Grisi" a brand of hair products, and "Kranky" a brand of candy.

How about "Bimbo" bread?   ;-)

The Kirkland beef franks, which are not the jumbo franks, are among the best I've ever tasted anywhere (SuperLake carries both). I have not found a single brand of weiner at any local store that even comes close; in fact, all the rest of the brands are barely any better than Fud's.

SuperLake also carries a keilbasa --which is not cheap, but you do get a lot in a package-- that is really good fried up.

14 hours ago, ned small said:

Walmart sells about 3-4 different German style weiners,Mexican brands, in both pork and turkey that are ideal for hot dogs and their house brand buns are just fine. They also carry Johnsonville. No need for Fud dogs or going to Costco.

If you take along a magnifying glass and read the very fine print of ingredients on Johnsonville's dogs, you may gently put them back on the rack so you can go out and upchuck.  Deadly.  Go with the dogs "subject to a higher power".

Though most here wouldn't be in the know, many Mexicans are into buying, well, Mexico these days. They are boycotting American brands. There are plenty of Mexican brands available. You're in Mexico. Why not support your local economy?

That is an obfuscatory question, and is irrelevant to the argument. We call this ignoratio elenchi. It moves the argument to a completely different topic, and misses the point.

It also shows an incongruous familiarity. If Mexicans are boycotting American brands, why was SuperLake packed with Mexican tourists over the holidays?

Finally, I'm going to eat crap just because it's made in Mexico?

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That is an obfuscatory question, and is irrelevant to the argument. We call this ignoratio elenchi. It moves the argument to a completely different topic, and misses the point.

It also shows an incongruous familiarity. If Mexicans are boycotting American brands, why was SuperLake packed with Mexican tourists over the holidays?

Finally, I'm going to eat crap just because it's made in Mexico?

That magnifying glass for label reading applies across the board to all products without regard to nationality.  Mexican crap is as bad as imported crap.  Conversely, I buy the good stuff when the label list reads right.  Ever notice the relationship between long lists and extra crap?  Last week I mistakenly bought some  grapefruit juice in the cool box which touted itself as "sin azucar" and "con pulpa" in large print on the front of the plastic container.   My bad: I trusted that. Tasted strange; read small print. Phony sweetener instead and no pulp. Fake news. Dumped it.

"Though most here wouldn't be in the know..."? I always love that one. The writer has special knowledge gleaned from familiarity with "many Mexicans" and their buying habits, knowledge the other posters lack, poor, befuddled things. The elevated one also knows what foreigners buy and whose economy they support. Amazing. Simply amazing. 

Archived