Chapala.com Webboard

how often do you get garbage pick-up?

I know it is useless to try to get city hall to change but I can't stop myself.

Here in Riberas we get NO attention from the municipio yet new construction is proceeding at a fast pace.  I see that as new tax dollars.  And some should come back this way.  Ha!

It  occurs to me that if they spent less on garbage pick-up some money could be diverted to pothole repair and control of run-off.   Or streetlights.  And the garbage trucks would last longer, meaning that we would have fewer days with missed pick-up.  The excuse for everything is "we don't have the money" and "our trucks are not working." 

Can you post your area and how often pick-up is scheduled?  I am M,W, F but I could easily live with twice a week.  And what's this "green truck" that someone spoke of?  How much of the municipio gets that service?

Thanks

Linda

Currently average 1.5 times a week and we would be happy with 2 times every week. We're in Rancho de Oro out west and the Orbas Publicas service is horrible. I'm not sure why you would think they would have any interest if fixing the pot holes since a 4" deep pot hole is no worse on your vehicle than a 4" Tope and everyone is happy with the topes so the municipality thinks we are OK with that.

Yes, 6x a week in Ajijic, and yes, we would be fine with 2x a week which was standard in the last 3 US homes we had in 3 different states  over 30+ years.  

BUT.....the way they collect garbage here is vastly different.  They only run the trucks on the East/West streets, which means people living on North/South streets lug their trash to the nearest East/West corner.  And the MOUNDS of trash on some of these corners DAILY can be staggering.  

They'd have to re-work the scheduling and routes to get it on par with how garbage pick-up is done in the US.  Smaller trucks in the village would be essential in covering the entire street grid.  There's no quick easy fix.  And I don't know if the Mexican residents would welcome less days a week.  

I live in Ajijic on a privada and we get service twice a week so it is not 6 days everywhere in Ajijic..  before some :() neighbor told city Hall that we only needed pick up twice a week we got it 3 times a week.. and believe me the lights do not get changed faster on this street because we only get serviced twice a week so do not go there you will lose on that deal..

I live above Las Salvias in upper Ajijic and have never had garbage service. My gardener has to take the garbage one block to the East and one block down the hill to the south and stack it on a corner. That garbage is picked up quite often, perhaps 6 days per week. So as I explained above I have to carry my garbage two blocks to the closest pickup point.

Without frequent trash pick up, you would find many rats, cockroaches etc..dogs tearing  bags up etc.  Mounds of trash as is seen in PV..

appreciate the garbage pick up we get in SAT, and would not want it to change.  Even n Ajijic I see lots of trash bags about, so how often they get pick up I have no clue. 

Sorry the OP is not getting trash pick up .  I know out in SJC many  developments pay for trash pick up individually. 

I think a lot of people here are missing the point that MEXICANS are the ones who are taken into account with scheduling etc. And for many, with small homes, large families, and often no extra storage space especially in the denser areas,  pick-up needs to be often or, as bezerk notes, rats,roaches, scavenging dogs and other animals etc. would be the next thing some people would complain about.  

Just because you have come to live here, folks, doesn't give you the right to decide how "they" do things here.........                

I wonder how the Mexicans in other cities manage.. In San Cristobal de lc the garbage comes by twice a week and there is no garbage accumulating on the street and there are very few foreigners. The garbage truck also come like clock

On our street in Ajijic the garbage truck goes by when it goes by  sometimes a day late. On Ocampo the garbage is picked up every day and  people are lazy and have no pride in their town and leave the garbage on the street sometimes right after the truck goes by and dogs get into it and then the dogs are blamed..not the owners..The corner of Rio Zula and the carretera is a disgrace..

Today I was speaking with Mexicans that were not from here and they were picking up the garbage on the beach and told us how sad it was that people did not have any pride about the lake or the town..

I live in upper Riberas and garbage is picked up twice a week.  I do not think there is any provision for picking up yard debris.  Other than separation of cans and plastic on the truck there is no recycling of glass or paper.  And just once I would like to find less loose garbage on the street AFTER pick up than before.  If it doesn't get thrown high enough to make the truck or if it blows off the truck it stays on the street.  I've never seen one of the guys on the ground make any effort to pick up what they drop.  If they did that I would consider contributing to their yearly plea for donations so they can have a Christmas party.

And I would like to see the garbage can thief operating in upper Riberas caught.  I've had two stolen so far.  Yet I hate to leave the plastic bags of garbage on the curb as dogs get into it and spread it all about.  And the garbage pick up guys obviously believe that once that happens it no longer qualifies as "garbage" they are responsible for picking up.  

12 hours ago, bezerk said:

Without frequent trash pick up, you would find many rats, cockroaches etc..dogs tearing  bags up etc.  Mounds of trash as is seen in PV..

appreciate the garbage pick up we get in SAT, and would not want it to change.  Even n Ajijic I see lots of trash bags about, so how often they get pick up I have no clue. 

Sorry the OP is not getting trash pick up .  I know out in SJC many  developments pay for trash pick up individually. 

Condos or gated groups of houses with 6 or more homes, whether they are lived in or not, have to pay as a group for their pickup to Orbas Publicus. Then the truck may also demand payment. This is the law or regulation in Jalisco.

I have been hanging my bags higher and higher to prevent the Riberas dogs ripping them apart. Now I discover the current garbage-picker is the problem: He has no qualms about ripping open a bag and leaving the detritus in piles after going through it. Hey, have at it, guy, but come on: keep it clean.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:55 PM, bmh said:

I wonder how the Mexicans in other cities manage.. In San Cristobal de lc the garbage comes by twice a week and there is no garbage accumulating on the street and there are very few foreigners. The garbage truck also come like clock

On our street in Ajijic the garbage truck goes by when it goes by  sometimes a day late. On Ocampo the garbage is picked up every day and  people are lazy and have no pride in their town and leave the garbage on the street sometimes right after the truck goes by and dogs get into it and then the dogs are blamed..not the owners..The corner of Rio Zula and the carretera is a disgrace..

Today I was speaking with Mexicans that were not from here and they were picking up the garbage on the beach and told us how sad it was that people did not have any pride about the lake or the town..

The problem here is Ajijic is a tourist town and one with very poor municipal services.  Riberas is a complete stepchild to this municipio.  The rest get minimal attention at best.  Most all of our tax dollars are spent in Chapala.  That's simply the reality here.

PV is overrun with tourists too but the municipal workers are very much in evidence keeping things clean.  Away from the Malecon, many of the homes are rentals or weekend houses neither of whose owners are likely to pay much attention to keeping their street clean.

In fact I'd have to say that most of the Mexican towns I visit on my moto are cleaner than Ajijic these days and most have far better maintained streets than Riberas.  

It is amazing because tourist towns are usually well kept.. check out Tapalpa, I spent 2 weeks there and I did not see any garbage..and it is all Mexican or just about and they have lots of tourists and lots of Tapatios on the weekends so no excuse about people coming from Guadalajara messing p the town.. Ajijic is a disgrace no doubt about it: I was driving down Ocampo yesterday in the afternoon and the place was full of garbage bags and no garbage truck in sight. The garbage people work hard but there are not enough of them and obviously not enough trucks,

Years ago we had to take our garbage to Ocampo for it to be taken away, and that was fine with us but the people on Ocampo complain about tthe pile of garbage in front of their house that would not always be picked up so now we have service twice a week.j 

I do not care how often they come by as long as they come by at regular time and day. but we are not there yet...

The truck was very late yesterday in Ajijic.  Mid-afternoon on Constitucion on east end.  

When we were house shopping, we wouldn't consider any houses on 'trash corners,' knowing how long the trash can be there (from night before until late afternoon, 6 days a week).  

While some organization did a nice job with trash hook hangers, on many corners the amount of daily trash is staggering.  

When we lived here 2008-2012 we walked our trash in the mornings to 16 de Sept and most of the time it was picked up around 7:30-8:00 AM.  

Not sure if afternoon pickup is the new normal or if there's a truck issue (we just arrived back late last week).

In my fraccionamiento a private contractor picks up the garbage. His truck is too small so it is hit and miss. I'm supposed to get pickup 4 times a week but it is more like 2.

Archived