Chapala.com Webboard

DRONES

asisis

Hi,

I own a drone for about 6 weeks now. A few thousand people know me around here, because of my published Photography. There are regulations operating a drone, over and above all the regulations should be common sense and privacy considerations. I use my drone strictly for landscape photography and on exit and approach, I get over houses  quick.

If I would be asked to take pictures of someones house, of course, I would do that. However, I would ask that arrangements are made and the neighbours are informed.

Drones are legal, shooting them down is illegal.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, LakeViews said:

Do ultralights, planes, helicopters, hang gliders, and satellites have the same potential as a drone to take photographs?    Yes.   So why single out drones as OK to shoot down?   When is it OK to destroy another's property?    I have zero intent on invading anyone's privacy when flying.   So far what I hear is that there is a percieved intrusion of privacy and that this intrusion then justifies the destrustion of someone else's property according to a few minds here.   I happen to disagree.

Is there any proof of this intrusion of privacy?  Or is this a percieved intrusion?   I assume it is only a percieved intrusion.   So really you folks are talking about destroying someone else's property out of sheer paranoia.   No one wants to see a shriveled gringo lying in their backyard, that's not the point.   We are flying to take sweeping vistas of the beautiful geography and architecture of the area.  Drones are a great new tool for cinematography.    Treating drones with disdain, fear and outright violence is interesting psychology and deserves analysis.   Thinking that one's property rights allows the destrustion of someone else's property is a really odd stance and also deserves analysis.

WOW, you are quite intelligent but a little uptight here are few things everyone needs to understand.

Drones are new.

Older people  might not understand them.

They are extensively used for filming.

They are ,also, used by HOA's to spy.

They take amazing and beautiful cinematography.

Drones are used to invade people's privacy.

Not all Drone users invade peoples' privacy.

Some people would like to see shriveled gringos sunbathing.

Shriveled gringos sunbathing is not everyone's cup of tea.

What I am trying to say is that there are positive and negative points to each side.

Why not have a DRONE class, maybe at LCS, and educate people about them. Give demonstrations maybe even have drone enthusiasts exhibit their work.

I, personally, would love to see how one works and film and post on my Facebook to make all those to scared to move out of their comfort zone, see the beauty of L:ake Chapala.

Just a thought.

Thank you for your input Peter.    I just bought a mavic pro and it is quite apparent to me that it is among the best movie making tools ever made.   I bought mine for landscapes and filming my own real estate.   I am retired now but I used to be a computer graphics artist that worked on major motion picture trailers and sports broadcasts.   Do you have a link to your work that you can send via PM?   

Well said, Denise.  About sums it up.  Yes, I can see where they could do some beautiful aerial photography and I'd like to see that, although there has already been a lot done from light planes and helicopters.

The expats who moved here were more than willing to move out of their comfort zones without the benefit of drone photography,  and I suppose there could be some on Facebook who might be willing to join us after seeing the beauty of this area.  The objections to drones have nothing to do with that.  We know what the objections are, and I believe they are valid.

Thank you Denise.   I tend to get agitated when people threaten to destroy my property and infer that I am a pervert with no cause whatsoever.   I am a proponent of privacy and property rights.   I will also take part in the democratization of aerial photography.   High end computers enabled my own successful career that relied on technological disruption of the computer graphics industry.   With $30K of equipment I could do what used to take $500K of equipment.   That is now happening to aerial cinematography.   One used to need a real helicopter with a gyroscope stabilized camera system that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.   Now my mavic pro was only $1K.    The drone is an amazing tool with many applications.   

The power and telephone companies are saving a great deal of money using drones. They are able to check the lines from below via sight and from above via an economical Drone sending video via cell phone camera to the repair person on the ground instead of a small plane or helicopter as they occasionally use, up north now.  Like any new device there are many many great things you can use Drones for. And I am learning here that many of you fear that drones will  also be used for evil or bad purposes.

ME,  I love Drones. I get to show off and let you see my house from up above. It makes my house look three times better than it really is

Now to show off and become the target of all of the bad words going on between the two sides of the group got to YOUTUBE by cliking on the word  and enter " casa johanson Ajijic Mexico " if it is not already there

Now attack me instead of each other. and once you had done that,  look for the search bar at the top of the YouTube link and enter words like Chapala or Ajijic and see all of the wonderful videos there are about our surroundings. It's amazing all of the wonderful videos there are about lakeside or your home town up north.

What I am trying to say, that there are many many more wonderful things that can be done with these drones than bad. Have you ever looked at the top of you computer screen? Did you know that most have a camera there and that a bad guy could break in and watch you on your camera and you would never know it. There are so many new things out there to be afraid or to accept and properly use.

Make it a sport; like skeet shooting.  The drone pilot may then revel in their evasive techniques as they photograph oncoming projectiles from slingshots, bows, cohetes and an occasional shotgun.  :lol:

Yes Pete - but the rules up north are now very strict - here is 36 pages of recommendations, and now the Federal government is getting more involved.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf

The rules down here are not so much non-existent, but for every "high roader", flying $1,000 machines, there are 100 times more "low roaders" who either do not follow the rules, or do not care. Their world is defined by youtube too - google drones vs humans.

Well, then I guess then the drones would have to start carrying countermeasures.... -)

Seriously, now, I would think twice about shooting down one. Remember the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 debacle? How they could spontaneously burst into flames? Well, most drones carry a Li-ion battery that is about 5 times larger than that of the phone. And short-circuiting or damaging it will most likely cause it to catch fire. You would then be sending an incendiary device into your own or someone else's property. With all the dry vegetation around here, that is surely a recipe for disaster.

Pete

No gcaschetta, if you want to make an even louder noise, you have to get one of those swamp boats that have an airplane motor and air propeller on the back powering it. As long as you have sound deadening headphones on you wont go deaf, but everyone lakeside will be able to hear you. It's best to go out late at night so you can wake everyone up but they wont be able to see you to identify you.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

The power and telephone companies are saving a great deal of money using drones. They are able to check the lines from below via sight and from above via an economical Drone sending video via cell phone camera to the repair person on the ground instead of a small plane or helicopter as they occasionally use, up north now.  Like any new device there are many many great things you can use Drones for. And I am learning here that many of you fear that drones will  also be used for evil or bad purposes.

ME,  I love Drones. I get to show off and let you see my house from up above. It makes my house look three times better than it really is

Now to show off and become the target of all of the bad words going on between the two sides of the group got to YOUTUBE by cliking on the word  and enter " casa johanson Ajijic Mexico " if it is not already there

Now attack me instead of each other. and once you had done that,  look for the search bar at the top of the YouTube link and enter words like Chapala or Ajijic and see all of the wonderful videos there are about our surroundings. It's amazing all of the wonderful videos there are about lakeside or your home town up north.

What I am trying to say, that there are many many more wonderful things that can be done with these drones than bad. Have you ever looked at the top of you computer screen? Did you know that most have a camera there and that a bad guy could break in and watch you on your camera and you would never know it. There are so many new things out there to be afraid or to accept and properly use.

For those of you who didn't know about that little thing on the top of your computer screed:  Pete is right.  Mine is covered with a square patch of electrical tape and has always been.  This does eliminate some desirable functions, but that's the story on it.

From the pictures posted (not Pete's, since he requested it) I note that they were taken over heavily populated areas, not over the lake or other scenic spots.  Enough said.

Archived